Listed - 1.7.10 - HQM/SURVIVAL - Galactic Science - something fresh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarondroidbryce

Jul 29, 2019
Both have pro and cons. Observatory has lots of quartz and more space...

Hmm the lack of sand seems to actually be a fairly large issue. You have to make a decomposed and synthesiser to get the reward for a decomposer. And the decomposer is required for the quest to get the synthesiser. Possibly something to look into.

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm the lack of sand seems to actually be a fairly large issue. You have to make a decomposed and synthesiser to get the reward for a decomposer. And the decomposer is required for the quest to get the synthesiser. Possibly something to look into.

Could get both synthesizer and decomposer without sand on that map via quests.

mjvmine

Jul 29, 2019
It actually benefits you to play through a couple of times. You learn the quest tree and rewards. You can get both a synthesizer and decomposer as quest rewards. You do need to make a synthesizer or decomposer to complete a different quest though, can't remember which. Also various quests give you everything you need to set up an early cobblestone generator (need ice or water, bucket of lava, transfer node, barrel, and world interaction upgrade). Also other quests give you what you need to make an introductory power system, stirling generator as a reward, energy conduits, decomposer, relocator pipe, barrel, void upgrade, liquid transfer node, world interaction upgrade, speed upgrade, transfer node.
When I say they give you what you need, it is between what you have to make to complete the quest and what you get as the actual quest reward.

Rule of thumb, by the end of the first day, you should have a supply of wood, moon turf, dirt and rock to get you through the night. You should have a small tree farm with a wall around it and lit up enough to prevent mobs from spawning. Spiders will still get over the wall.

By the end of the second day you should have a working cobblestone generator and cobblestone and half slab blast shield over your entire base to protect you from meteors.

By the end of the third day you should have at least a working manual obsidian generator to feed into a decomposer/synthesizer to make gravel. You need to start sieving gravel asap as it has better yield of metal, diamonds than rock and it is how you get gold. Also don't ignore the meteors you sieve. Put them in a crafting grid to turn them into 12 pieces of broken iron ore.

aarondroidbryce

Jul 29, 2019
It actually benefits you to play through a couple of times. You learn the quest tree and rewards. You can get both a synthesizer and decomposer as quest rewards.

I know this. But the quest reward for the decomposer REQUIRES sand. And if you play on the observatory map the only way to get sand is with a decomposer and synthesiser or a sag mill/crusher.

mjvmine

Jul 29, 2019
I have played both. More than once. It can be done. A crucible over any heat source (furnace that is cooking, block of coal, lava source block, awesomite block) filled with cobblestone will give you lava. Use a bucket to grab the lava and pour it into a stone barrel. Pour a bucket of water over the stone barrel to turn it into obsidian. Right click the obsidian out of the stone barrel.

Energy transfer pipe can be made without glass and can be used to make either a transfer node or liquid transfer node. You will need glass to make the relocator pipe. But you can make glass panes by putting six silicon dioxide in a synthesizer, 3 in the top row, 3 in the bottom.

Btw, it can also be done with the brute force method. It takes 24 iron to make a decomposer and 23 iron (plus a diamond) to make a synthesizer. You just have to sieve a lot of moon rock by hand to get it.

Last thing, the very first 3 diamonds you get you should use to make a RR Pick Ax. Shift right click with it in your hand to change mining mode from 1x1 to 3x3 to 5x5 back to 1x1. Hugely useful.

mjvmine

Jul 29, 2019
A Whole New Moon->Transfer it Right Here->Transfer Node (required to finish), Decomposer (reward), WIU (reward), WIU (selectable reward)

Why do All the Work-> Where you want, When you Want-> Transfer Node (required to finish) Stack Upgrade

I was Bad at Math, but...-> Molecules and Stuff-> Sucrose (required to finish), Synthesizer (reward)

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
I know this. But the quest reward for the decomposer REQUIRES sand. And if you play on the observatory map the only way to get sand is with a decomposer and synthesiser or a sag mill/crusher.

Try making an energy pipe rather than a transfer pipe for the transfer node.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
Last thing, the very first 3 diamonds you get you should use to make a RR Pick Ax. Shift right click with it in your hand to change mining mode from 1x1 to 3x3 to 5x5 back to 1x1. Hugely useful.

I was wondering How I could digg out a basement without using explosives (largely wasteful) or just with a pick axe (would take so long)

question is there a Sheet somewhere which lays out the elements and the common items which can be decomposed to obtain said elements? sifting through the NEI recipies all the time to find out what Items I can use gets old, I have to sift enough as it is already :)

Last edited:

mjvmine

Jul 29, 2019
Bone meal will give you titanium dioxide, decompose that for titanium. Make it into ingots and compress that to plates for good cheap armor.

Bones give Hydroxyapatite. Have to decompose that more than once for Calcium I think. Need Calcium Carbonate for Ender Pearls.

Gun powder gives Nitrogen and I think Sulfur, but its more than 1 decompose action. Nitrogen is need for some of the Minechem quests, and you need both for the proteins to make leather.

Most wood products will give Cellulose, but the chance of getting something depends on what you are using. A log has a much higher chance of producing something than a stick for example. Cellulose breaks down into Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Flint decomposes into silicon dioxide without any by products which is nice, but you get less than decomposing Obsidian.

Obsidian decomposes into silicon dioxide and magnesium oxide (which is useless, dump it into a barrel with a void upgrade).

Cobblestone will decompose into many items. The chance of decomposing depends on if it is cobblestone, compressed cobblestone, double, triple or quadruple compressed cobblestone. The higher the compressing the greater the change of getting things to decompose. But sometimes Quadrupile and Quintuple won't decompose for me, just sits there in the decomposer. If it won't decompose for you, put it in a crafting grid to break it down to a lower level and try that. When it does decompose you will get about a dozen different things and more of each for the higher compression it was. I know you get Chlorine, Lead, Silicon, Oxygen, Magnesium, Zinc and a bunch of other things. Lead and Chlorine combine into Einsteinium I think, and Lead and Zinc I think combine into Gold.

Best bet is to try various things, see if they will decompose. Then use NEI to see if you can make anything good with the products.

mjvmine

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod or a way like logistic pipe to request and crafting item from a sorting system? thx

Sort of. Use BSpace Barrels connected to where you store your ingredients in barrels to a processing area where you auto craft what you want to make.

My video shows auto crafting of several things, moon turf, dirt and rock, gravel, dirt, sand, propane. In a solo world I used similar methods to auto produce pistons, chests, barrels, storage upgrades, etc.

Reactions: Caithleen

deenkayros

Jul 29, 2019
I'm talking about crafting on request or getting items on request not pre-setted craftings... Since the sorting stuffs can relocate any item into the right position I thought to request an item just from the same position, but seems i wrong... but thank you anyway.

aarondroidbryce

Jul 29, 2019
I have played both. More than once. It can be done. A crucible over any heat source (furnace that is cooking, block of coal, lava source block, awesomite block) filled with cobblestone will give you lava. Use a bucket to grab the lava and pour it into a stone barrel. Pour a bucket of water over the stone barrel to turn it into obsidian. Right click the obsidian out of the stone barrel.

Energy transfer pipe can be made without glass and can be used to make either a transfer node or liquid transfer node. You will need glass to make the relocator pipe. But you can make glass panes by putting six silicon dioxide in a synthesizer, 3 in the top row, 3 in the bottom.

Btw, it can also be done with the brute force method. It takes 24 iron to make a decomposer and 23 iron (plus a diamond) to make a synthesizer. You just have to sieve a lot of moon rock by hand to get it.

Ah ok thank you. I didn't realise the energy pipe used no sand. Many thanks.

nathanwe

Jul 29, 2019
question is there a Sheet somewhere which lays out the elements and the common items which can be decomposed to obtain said elements? sifting through the NEI recipies all the time to find out what Items I can use gets old, I have to sift enough as it is already :)

Colored cobblestone(color frequency) makes (color) dye, and is craftible with cobble in a chisel. In order of my use, (blue frequency) makes aluminum and lapis. (light blue frequency) makes copper. (brown frequency) makes nitrogen and coca beans. (magenta frequency) makes all sorts of stuff. (yellow frequency) makes yellow dye for the boosters.

empty oxygen canister can be decomposed for tin. If you are not playing hardcore, you can die, then put the full canister you get from the quest through an oxygen decompresser or wear it, then decompose it.

Edit: another silly trick: gold and diamond chests decompose as if you made them with copper and silver, even if you made them with iron.

And yes is just memory and nei. The backspace key in nei is quite useful here, it sends you back to what you were looking at before, allowing for depth first search without staring over when you hit a useless compound. In general, most things are ether hydrocarbons/proteins, made with hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and occasionally sulfur or calcium, or they are metal, and made with that metal. Thats why my tricks are on how to get metal without that metal.

Last edited:

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
colored cobblestone(color frequency) makes (color) dye, and is craftible with chisel+cobble. in order of my use, (blue frequency) makes aluminum and lapis. (light blue frequency) makes copper. (brown frequency) makes nitrogen and coca beans. (magenta frequency) makes all sorts of stuff. (yellow frequency) makes yellow dye for the boosters.

although very minor and not game breaking that seems like a silly exploit.

So I take the there's no minechem periodic table with decomposed items for each element. Everyone's just been working from memory, or searching up the recipes through NEI.

Lambda57

Jul 29, 2019
Tip for the day: Do not use the 4Space Venus Jetpack on the moon.

Tap of the space bar and suddenly in space at y level 600+, death from fall damage on the moon :)

At least it got the death quest completed and it was hilarious traveling that fast!

PrometheanSky

Jul 29, 2019
Is the star generator supposed to keep running even when there is no power draw? I pulled up and replaced it with a stirling filled with scaffolds (great pre-methyl methacrylate fuel) ASAP. The star is saved for something with a constant power draw, like a sifter.

Side note, as a chem geek, it drives me up the flipping wall that the MMA formula is wrong. And that minechem doesn't have any plexiglass blocks, or anything of that nature, since MMA is such a phenomenally useful and versatile real world chemical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.