Votes: 121 51.3%
  • I don't like it!

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I guess, the discussion will enter a new round, if others follow the GT-thread in the IC2-board too. he plans to adjust the way the hunger-system works. standing 20 minutes around without eating anything or without a system that allows auto-eating... boom, dead because of starvation. so, keep a stack of steaks in your hotbar. and don't idle around.

I think it's obvious he doesn't actually play his own mod.

Reactions: kittenykat

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I guess, the discussion will enter a new round, if others follow the GT-thread in the IC2-board too. he plans to adjust the way the hunger-system works. standing 20 minutes around without eating anything or without a system that allows auto-eating... boom, dead because of starvation. so, keep a stack of steaks in your hotbar. and don't idle around.

that reminds me of dayz, and its bone breaking mechanics... it seems that the patient is getting worse...[DOUBLEPOST=1369663017][/DOUBLEPOST]
If he did, the mod wouldn't be so...the mod might be more...balanced.

its pretty balanced on its own, if you look at it from prospective of korean f2p mmorpg...

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I should find a mod pack that doesn't use GregTech. That is if Greg goes ahead with the nugget flint and steel change. At least the name of the item will make sense though.

I knew from the beginning that the "steel" in its name one day would cause problems.

MOJAAAAAAAAAANG!!!! RENAME IT TO FLINT AND IRON!

Reactions: giesergast

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Not really understanding the drama with the flint and steel change.

Can very easily light a nether portal with a fire charge unless something has changed recently.

Edit: Nope, still doable.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
something make me think, that flint and steel changes was gregs solution to nerfing RC blast furnace. since there are other ways to light the portals, it will be just a bit more annoying, as greg likes.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
You mean other than everything he adds, with a few exceptions? Gregtech actually makes almost everything cheaper, if you do the math, plus adds a whole lot of very useful blocks and machines. I recommend you actually try playing with gregtech and getting a ways into it before you comment on its balance. I will admit that a few of the changes may go a bit to far, but all of them can be disabled in the config, and they all add something to the game.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
Take into account that gregtech allows you to more than triple your ore output, and adds a ton of other ways to gather your materials, that, along with the myriad of useful, cheaper recipes for various components. for an example, lets use the supposedly "more expensive" solar panel recipe. in vanilla IC2 you need:
3 Coal for Coal Dust
3 Glass
6 Redstone
3 Sticky resin
5 Copper ore
2 Tin ore
5 Iron ore
8 Cobble Stone

Now, lets look at the gregtech recipe. The main changes are that it requires silicon plates, and a carbon plate. The silicon plates come from silicon, which you get very often as a byproduct of electrolysing more important things. in the worst case, you can get it from sand. so it is essentially free. The carbon plate can now also be made from carbon cells, which are in the same boat as silicon. in the worst case, you can get it from sugar cane or charcoal. so it, to, is essentially free.

Now let's look at the rest of the recipe. this is where the cheaper part comes in. You need two electronic circuits, and a tier one machine hull. The electronic circuits, using the wiremill and assembly machine, require 2 copper, one iron or aluminium, and 2 electrum, plus 2 sticky resin using the centrifuge (incidentally, it can also now be gotten through rubberwood) all of those metals can be gotten at triple ore yield using GT processing. aluminium is gotten as a byproduct of electrolyzing as well,so you could also consider it free, while electrum and copper can be harvested from nether lava, and gold can be gotten through glowstone. The machine hull can be using the traditional machine block, or you could also use 8 aluminium or bronze instead.

So, for a total, using iron recipes, and not counting the other ways of getting the metals, you need:
3 iron ore
1 copper ore
2 sticky resin
1 gold
1 silver

Tell me again which is cheaper? Sure, it is more complex, and requires higher tier machines, but that is what gregtech is all about. It adds a much deeper tech tree than standard IC2. There wouldn't be much point in progression if you could get everything you need off the bat. And you get rewarded with a much better ability to harvest resources, so earlier things become cheaper and easier, as any good tech tree should do. I also recommend that you try actually playing gregtech for a while, you may find you like it more than you thought you would. Some of the people in this thread clearly have never actually tried it.

Reactions: netchip

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
so it makes cheaper thing at phase, when i`m, personally, care not about such minor cost decreases, and consumes more time. i personally, see no point in such approach.
besides, in official release of ftb ultimate there is no such thing as wiring machine and plate bender yet, so i`d like to know what cheap stuff i`m missing atm. is there any "cheap" stuff that i`d try in current version of the pack?
P.S. advanced solars have poor design

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013

You keep using the word 'free'. Except a large number of Gregtech process require a crap ton of time and EU to perform. Time, which is not internally limited. So Greg is now charging me external resources. Which is bad game design. It doesn't matter how you try to fudge it, at no point in Minecraft will you go 'oh no time is running out' in reference to any internal problem. If you could play Minecraft forever, the time needed to perform any process becomes effectively meaningless. However, since you can't do such a thing, external time limits apply. Now, obviously, some waiting time is around in Minecraft. However, it's generally short, unless you process 128 cobble in one furnace like a caveman. However, Gregtech has single processes that take minutes. I don't care how effective your process is resource-wise if it takes that long.