Votes: 121 51.3%
  • I don't like it!

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
GT used to be one of very few beacons in sparse environment of tech mods. Nowdays when the numbers of mods reached staggering 200+ and everything can be achieved by means of ten different ways I would rather spend time playing with Rotary or Reactor craft where rewards are higher and satisfaction is beyond any expectations. Spending a few seconds with pocket calculators is defintly better time investing hours into grinding.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
GT used to be one of very few beacons in sparse environment of tech mods. Nowadays when the numbers of mods reached staggering 200+ and everything can be achieved by means of ten different ways I would rather spend time playing with Rotary or Reactor craft where rewards are higher and satisfaction is beyond any expectations. Spending a few seconds with pocket calculators is defintly better time investing hours into grinding.
Totally agree in a lot of respects. When you assemble a functional BWR or breeder reactor in ReC, you get absurd value for that investment.

I'd probably be still playing with those mods today in fact if they weren't relatively modpack unfriendly. With GT, Greg allows an awful lot of modification to his extremely-complicated recipes and tiering. A lot of his machines are inherently moddable via minetweaker (where you can at least add recipes even if you can't remove them).
On the other hand, RoC and ReC are essentially unchangeable. You need to modify other mods around Reika's, not the other way around.

Of course this isn't a big deal if you only play in less serious total-sandbox packs (Monster) where balance and progression are less sensitive :)

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
Of course this isn't a big deal if you only play in less serious total-sandbox packs (Monster) where balance and progression are less sensitive :)

Seriously, all discussions regarding balance are in the past. Currently, you simply cannot center modpack around the one mode in the same way as you cannot claim that sun rotates around earth. Complete modded community moved toward RPG style modpacks. It is easily traceable via Twitch or Yourtube. I might be mistaken, but at least I gave up a few times staring a new worlds at the point when I have all resources and I needed to decide what kind of base I want to have. I want none since it is going to be some kind of reincarnation of tech/magic I did before. So welcome to real life challenge :) It is much more tedious but has real meanings.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Seriously, all discussions regarding balance are in the past.
...For persons with less interest in balance, perhaps. I'll cite InfiTech2 as an obvious example where striving for balance has resulted in extremely entertaining challenges.

Currently, you simply cannot center modpack around the one mode in the same way as you cannot claim that sun rotates around earth.
Rather weak analogy. I could just as easily say "you cannot claim that a sandbox pack is fun in the same way that you cannot claim that the sun rotates around the earth." {corrected for grammar}

Complete modded community moved toward RPG style modpacks.
I've already established that balanced tech packs are growing in popularity, and FTB has already established that they have no interest in producing further kitchen-sink packs with no balance.

An RPG-type pack will not by any sort of definition lack balance, so I'm not even sure why you mention it.

So welcome to real life challenge :) It is much more tedious but has real meanings.
I think you lost your train of thought here a bit in the effort to wrap up your thoughts glamorously :( Lack of balance is more tedious but has more meaning? What?

Ultimately, there's a fantastic variety of modpacks out there for experiences that will suit just about anyone's playing style. Lately, for me, its all about a difficult and balanced tech progression. Adding something like Tinkers Construct or ReactorCraft without serious modification to them would "break" the majority of these packs in the sense that they'd lose their core appeal: you must earn the things you want, you cannot just short cut to them.

There's always going to be a market for this type of player. Saying its in the past is a depressing thought as it suggests that intellectual and technological challenges are no longer interesting to the MC community.