Votes: 121 51.3%
  • I don't like it!

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 37 15.7%

• Total voters

DrHexatron

Jul 29, 2019
I loved Gregtech. Then I figured out on his GT suggestion thread he said later he would make adventure mode the default gamemode, and make wood harvestable by hand. This lost me.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Moosolini

Jul 29, 2019
What I don't understand about GT is that he seems intent on nerfing every possible thing he can think of, and yet he wants lava to be the primary method of generating power, even though it's available in the early game and is really a mindless way of getting immense amounts of power. Boggles my mind.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
No, one doesn't imply the other. The metalsmiths were working with the iron before without being able to cast a sword directly, without cracking or destroying the piece.

Swords are never ever cast directly, no matter what you're seeing in movies. Cast iron has very different properties and is very brittle. Cast iron swords would shatter on the first hit. Go try find a cast iron pot and throw it on the floor, you'll see what I mean.

If you find Gregs half-assed attempts at 'realism' fun, be my guest. But I play games for fun, not for 'realism'. Real life is real enough already.

Reactions: RedBoss

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Swords are never ever cast directly, no matter what you're seeing in movies. Cast iron has very different properties and is very brittle. Cast iron swords would shatter on the first hit. Go try find a cast iron pot and throw it on the floor, you'll see what I mean.
i think you`re misunderstanding terms "cast iron" and "casted iron".
cast iron - is an iron-carbon alloy with at least 2% of carbon.
casted iron - is a liquid iron that poured into a mold and was solidified.

while cast iron is casted, casted iron isnt necessarily a cast iron.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

If you cast iron you get cast iron. It's brittle because of the way iron forms a crystalline matrix. No matter your definition of "casted" versus "cast", smiths don't cast a chunk of metal, sharpen it a bit, and call it a sword (or any other tool). Gregs sense of "realism" is misplaced. Just like his half-assed attempt at chemistry.

If you melt an actual sword down, then cast it, it has very different properties than the original sword, even though it's the same allow.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If you cast iron you get cast iron. It's brittle because of the way iron forms a crystalline matrix. No matter your definition of "casted" versus "cast", smiths don't cast a chunk of metal, sharpen it a bit, and call it a sword (or any other tool). Gregs sense of "realism" is misplaced. Just like his half-assed attempt at chemistry.

If you melt an actual sword down, then cast it, it has very different properties than the original sword, even though it's the same allow.
i get it. what bugs me a terminology of English language about that matter: if you cast iron with at least ~2% of carbon you get cast iron; if you content of carbon is lower then you casted steel.

melting forged sword and then casting new is a bad idea indeed, but if cast is forged again and alloy content is restored it should have same properties.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
You can cast liquid bronze directly into a sword using a mold to do so. Either way, I've lost myself in the conversation and I can't seem to understand what you're saying.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Totally, one you can cast directly, and the other one was not possible until past century.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I don't like how Greg tries to make things "realistic" just by adding a bunch of iridium to the recipes. If you want realistic, make every chunk have a 1/250 chance of having a crater which contains 5-25 pieces of iridium ore. But of course Greg will never do that because it would make the game too easy if you have to explore several thousand chunks just to get the high-tier machines.

CrabCow

Jul 29, 2019
Got moved so will have to change my content! No biggie!

I'll just post my questions I guess. I am not very skilled with GregTech's late-game technology so I have a few questions.

1.) What do you guys do to accumulate enough resources for a Fusion Reactor (V3, since I am on GT311 in Unleashed), because I feel like a Quarry is just moving a bit too slow (Or I might just be doing it wrong)

2.) How much energy will a Fusion Reactor make over a Nuclear Reactor with 6 Reaction Chambers? Can it be considered worth the investment?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
CrabCow,

I moved your post into the most recent thread with GregTech-centric discussion as that seems to be what you were admittedly looking for in starting a new thread. Have at it. =)

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
sheesh man.
ok, im working on a step-by-step list
its huge. im not even done with the computer yet.
as for power, a good nuke should take care of you.
http://pastebin.com/VwitjUCJ

im trying to get the numbers right as i go. always consult NEI.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Until your out of uranium but that's shouldn't happens as Extra Bees have radioactive bees to renewable refuel your reactors. However they're really slow, Just short of a single cycle of uranium per uranium. Ind. Centrifuges should do the trick to extract more out of uranium dusts. You could try to double the speed but as of now and beyond there a chance of losing the queen after she dies if your "overclocked" her. So in the long run, just best setting up multi queens.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
If anybody would mind me saying, I recently started playing with GT and it's an OK mod. Not the best mind you, but OK if you enjoy "balance". But I found myself being quite frustrated with the lack of "pretty blocks". For me the main purpose of minecraft is making pretty things. Or if you have mods pretty functioning things. Gregtech takes care of the later but I found it severely lacking in the former.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If anybody would mind me saying, I recently started playing with GT and it's an OK mod. Not the best mind you, but OK if you enjoy "balance". But I found myself being quite frustrated with the lack of "pretty blocks". For me the main purpose of minecraft is making pretty things. Or if you have mods pretty functioning things. Gregtech takes care of the later but I found it severely lacking in the former.
if things were pretty in GT, it would be indeed a magical boxes mod.