FTB Infinity 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Any chance of another mode being added that makes every path equally as difficult? Basically one where the aim isn't to get others to use mods they wouldn't normally use. It would be more aimed into making all mods equally difficult to use. With every mod's recipes made to use other similar tiered items in the other mods. It wouldn't slow the start up of any mod as much as it would slow the player down until they had progressed equally in all the mods in that group.

Maybe a april fools mode as well? would be a good time to start working on it.
Unlikely. Expert mode took tfox months of work. He is already on to other projects now.

B

Bellamour

I have been trying to find where to put this on the forum but after searching for an hour, I'm still lost here. It's not a bug or a game techsupport issue, it's just something that was working yesterday in the game, and isn't working now for no reason whatsoever. If someone can point me in the direction of where this goes, I will gladly move it.

I currently play on FTB Infinity (Evolved, though I don't have that enabled) and my issue is with AE. I have two metal formers with a ME Interface on each one (one for rolling and one for extruding) for autocrafting. Since I put that in a while back, it has been a huge time saver. Problem is, one of them just stopped working today. I haven't made any changes to my set up at all, in fact I haven't been crafting anything. It just randomly said device offline. I can't get my ME to read it, though it has no issues with the other metal former. If I manually put something into the metal former, it will make it and put it into the interface, but it won't send to the ME. I was originally using the block ME Interface (438) but someone came over and changed them over to the ones that look like import/export buses (4349:440). Even though it had been working fine and I have not added any additional channels, I thought I'd try upgrading to the dense cables, but that also did nothing. While trying to get it to work, I was able to get it to switch (so the Interface on the extruding metal former was online) but that caused the first interface to stop working. All it says is device missing channel. Again, I haven't changed a single thing and it was working perfectly for over a week now. Does anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong and how I can get it working again? I would greatly appreciate it.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have been trying to find where to put this on the forum but after searching for an hour, I'm still lost here. It's not a bug or a game techsupport issue, it's just something that was working yesterday in the game, and isn't working now for no reason whatsoever. If someone can point me in the direction of where this goes, I will gladly move it.

I currently play on FTB Infinity (Evolved, though I don't have that enabled) and my issue is with AE. I have two metal formers with a ME Interface on each one (one for rolling and one for extruding) for autocrafting. Since I put that in a while back, it has been a huge time saver. Problem is, one of them just stopped working today. I haven't made any changes to my set up at all, in fact I haven't been crafting anything. It just randomly said device offline. I can't get my ME to read it, though it has no issues with the other metal former. If I manually put something into the metal former, it will make it and put it into the interface, but it won't send to the ME. I was originally using the block ME Interface (438) but someone came over and changed them over to the ones that look like import/export buses (4349:440). Even though it had been working fine and I have not added any additional channels, I thought I'd try upgrading to the dense cables, but that also did nothing. While trying to get it to work, I was able to get it to switch (so the Interface on the extruding metal former was online) but that caused the first interface to stop working. All it says is device missing channel. Again, I haven't changed a single thing and it was working perfectly for over a week now. Does anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong and how I can get it working again? I would greatly appreciate it.

If the device is suddenly not found, I would suspect insufficient channels on your ME network. Suspicion increases when you say this happened when somebody else was changing things on your system. The block Interface can pump into five adjacent Inventories on one channel, while each slim Interface requires its own channel. This small update may have overspent your channels by one, causing one Interface to be left unreadable.

B

Bellamour

That was my mistake, the change was made after the interface stopped working. I simply wanted to explain exactly what had stopped working and what it was changed to, meaning the block interface stopped working, and it is still not working with slim interface. There were no changes at all to the system between when it was working fine and when it stopped (I wasn't even in the base, I was playing with Thaumcraft and my base for that isn't anywhere near my machines) This server I play on is with my fiance and best friend, it is not open to anyone else so I know no one came in and changed anything, that and while inspecting everything, nothing looked changed. I had thought the channels might be the issue, even though I haven't added anything, so I changed over to dense cables but I definitely didn't add one channel, never mind the 24 it would have needed to fill a dense cable as well. The only thing I have done in my base itself is pulling things out of the ME system, I haven't even crafted anything with those machines. It just makes no sense. I am glad you told me about the slim interface being more channel hungry, I'll go back to that. I'm not sure why he changed it if it would have made any channel situation worse. I'm the only one that had to deal with looking at the 'large unnecessary block' as he put it lol

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So I took a stack of 40 ***REGULAR*** MFR Rubber Tree saplings and planted them. They were identical because they were in a single stack, and they were NOT MEGA SAPLINGS.

At some point I realized something had gone terribly wrong since I could no longer see to the north out of my base. Yep, somehow TWO mega rubber trees had grown, hundreds of blocks tall.

Why did this happen? Is it supposed to happen? How does it happen? Is it exclusive to "expert mode" Infinity, since I've never seen this happen before, ever in my life?

B

Bellamour

I'll do my best, though a lot of my wiring is....chaotic lol. I know where everything is but someone who isn't familiar with it may not be able to see everything. I haven't changed my set up since shortly after I created it and I've added a lot of things since then. I decided to move my base and expand, if I get everything set up and I still have issues with channels, I'll take pictures and post them. I will say my friend who plays on the server ran into the same issue, he only had 5 channels on a dense cable and it was saying the device was missing a channel. I'm thinking something weird is happening, since we've come across a few odd things lately. Hopefully expanding my area and making the wires and cables more easily accessible will allow me to better see issues that arise and take pictures if I'm still having issues with it working, thank you again for all your help!

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I finally after a lot of effort built my ME Controller today. I don't understand why the ME Controller and Energy Acceptor have almost the the same recipe.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at the last three pages of this thread kinda leaves me baffled. One of the biggest points to Infinity Evolved on Expert mode was to give players a real reason to develop extensive infrastructure and thought out bases. Doubly so if you're attempting to call down the ultimate gear with Creative Energy Cells, Creative Fluid Tanks, and The Guilty Pool (haven't seen if there were others yet) because they demand both tech and magic lines to be established.

Personally, slow as it is to move forward, I've been relishing this change of pace and the excuse to get into EVERYTHING for once. There was never a real point outside of just because for using additional mods. Now there is and it's deliciously, headache-inducingly glorious! And so far, every recipe change I've encountered has been fairly sensible to me. More capable, more powerful devices and gear that grant more return finally feel worth it and not cheap. The fact bedrockium ingots require MOX fuel from IC2 is gleefully painful. I'll have to set up at least one automated nuclear reactor with a high cycle rate to go down that path and the goodies attached. I have a reason to actually build a Nether Star grinding facility. I actually see a reason for getting bees established to get additional specialized resources to supplement things, and with the genetic manipulation machines, it's not really that bad if I put in the time to run them through the machines.

The whole point is forcing yourself to set stuff up to automate something so you can go build up the next part. I like requiring an IC2 metal former in order to make the center piece of a waterwheel, or other stuff that requires some machines I never saw before because I forgot what IC2 has. So far, I've discovered stuff I didn't even know existed. I finally have a way to enjoy a long life map where I'm not quickly at a point where all that's left is building something I don't need because I've got nothing left to shoot for. A full set of Draconic Evolution gear is huge, but even mid-game, a baked potato is a status symbol.

And if it really bothers someone that much, well, you can still live switch between Normal and Expert.

Personally, this purposeful pain in the arse road is GLORIOUS!

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I totally agree. I kinda get frustrated with it occasionally and walk away, but I will always come back, be it in an hour or a week.

I've never really had incentive for a long term modded mc world before, and this gave it to me. Hopefully this will last until 1.8 or 1.9 become a major version

Sent from my Barrel of Fun using Tapatalk

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
@BanzaiBlitz I could have not said it better. To me Expert = Hard. I think of it as if somebody took gregtech, and applied the thought process behind it to Infinity. I love it. And realistically, based upon the number of players on our server, I think the majority of players prefer it also.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
@BanzaiBlitz I could have not said it better. To me Expert = Hard. I think of it as if somebody took gregtech, and applied the thought process behind it to Infinity. I love it. And realistically, based upon the number of players on our server, I think the majority of players prefer it also.
Difference is Gregtech recipes actually make sense

Selway

Jul 29, 2019
Just wanted to echo some others on this page about how much I am enjoying this pack. It's brilliant and something I think modded minecraft has desperately needed for a long time. HUGE thank you to TFox and the others.

One suggestion would be to add some sort of option for a mining dimension that could be accessed earlier. It seems like it should be available at about the same point as when you can build an ended quarry. For lag and MP purposes this would be MUCH appreciated.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Just wanted to echo some others on this page about how much I am enjoying this pack. It's brilliant and something I think modded minecraft has desperately needed for a long time. HUGE thank you to TFox and the others.

One suggestion would be to add some sort of option for a mining dimension that could be accessed earlier. It seems like it should be available at about the same point as when you can build an ended quarry. For lag and MP purposes this would be MUCH appreciated.
If you're playing on a good server like the ones listed in my signature (Shameless plug) there should be. If you're on single player just make a mystcraft world.

Selway

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing on a good server like the ones listed in my signature (Shameless plug) there should be. If you're on single player just make a mystcraft world.

I was under the impression that the mystcraft worlds were disabled in Expert mode. Either way, I think the ink mixer is still gated behind the teleposer which obviously requires one to go significantly go down the magic line. That is fine, but does not really present a MP server options for people to set up a quarry in a MP friendly way. Its just not a good idea to have multiple people ender quarrying the overworld on most servers. It would be nice if there was an aroma mining type world available. It could be gated by changing one of the recipes to require a quantum core something else along those lines.

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just have the server admin pregen a mining age with a protected linking book. Then leave it up to the players to tech up to making their own linking books into the communal mining age.

A pre-generated shared mining age would save the server the wear of everyone eventually making multiple ages.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Difference is Gregtech recipes actually make sense
In fairness, that is a matter of opinion. So far, every altered recipe I've seen in Expert mode has made sense in context. Granted, there are some things that seem a little funky in order to maintain the progression shifts, but overall, they remain a plausible interpretation of a highly interconnected system. One of the big points to it all is the excessiveness it introduces. Quite frankly, unlike previous packs I've seen, Gregtech would feel right at home in Expert mode and not even feel bloated or drawn out alongside everything else. For Gregtech to be in that kind of comparison is impressive!

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This modpack is the best one I've played yet that doesn't include GregTech. I've just hit the 300-hour mark on our server and I'm pretty much in end-game now, making plutonium and iridium and got a max-size Big Reactor Turbine setup going. 300 hours is a lot of play. In most other modpacks, I'd estimate I would reach this same point after about 30 hours, so it's a 10-fold increase in the time requirement (for me, IMO).

What GregTech brings to the table is an amazing increase in the number of ores along with a similar amazing increase in the number of machines to process them all. infinity Evolved Expert Mode is terrific, but it will never ever be able to match the breadth of play in a GregTech pack. That's not the fault of anyone, it's the fault that we're still playing with vanilla ores. I run my quarry for hours, and it just pulls up the same few ores over and over. The vanilla stuff plus Aluminum, Copper, Tin, Uranium and Yellorite. That's all folks, unless Electrotine and Apatite floats your boat. I'm still gonna get bored by this modpack, it will just take longer (which was the goal of the modpack designers, so they succeeded 100%).

Reactions: Watchful11

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
This modpack is the best one I've played yet that doesn't include GregTech. I've just hit the 300-hour mark on our server and I'm pretty much in end-game now, making plutonium and iridium and got a max-size Big Reactor Turbine setup going. 300 hours is a lot of play. In most other modpacks, I'd estimate I would reach this same point after about 30 hours, so it's a 10-fold increase in the time requirement (for me, IMO).

What GregTech brings to the table is an amazing increase in the number of ores along with a similar amazing increase in the number of machines to process them all. infinity Evolved Expert Mode is terrific, but it will never ever be able to match the breadth of play in a GregTech pack. That's not the fault of anyone, it's the fault that we're still playing with vanilla ores. I run my quarry for hours, and it just pulls up the same few ores over and over. The vanilla stuff plus Aluminum, Copper, Tin, Uranium and Yellorite. That's all folks, unless Electrotine and Apatite floats your boat. I'm still gonna get bored by this modpack, it will just take longer (which was the goal of the modpack designers, so they succeeded 100%).
An easy way to solve this is to somehow implement Metallurgy into the pack.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Why do I have what appears to be half-chickens and half-pigs raining down on my base from the skies above? Infinity Evolved Expert Mode. Is it something for Christmas Day or am I being pranked somehow by my Secret Santa on the server?