FTB Infinity 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Nono, I mean... That would make sense on hard mode. But on normal?

I just came to a realization while writing this. It could be that the change was made with hard mode in view, as the FTB mods can change the recipes for hard mode without a relog, but not the configs.

I get how this can make sense but, if that is so, might as well have released a copy of the modpack labeled "Expert" with the tweaked recipes and configs.

I don't know. There are a lot of possibilities, I guess.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Nono, I mean... That would make sense on hard mode. But on normal?

I just came to a realization while writing this. It could be that the change was made with hard mode in view, as the FTB mods can change the recipes for hard mode without a relog, but not the configs.

I get how this can make sense but, if that is so, might as well have released a copy of the modpack labeled "Expert" with the tweaked recipes and configs.

I don't know. There are a lot of possibilities, I guess.
Its what I would've done: make a hardcore pack specifically aimed towards hardcore users that way the two can't interfere with one another and have greater overall design freedom. The whole "Infinity Evolved" thing just seems kinda...needless, if ya ask me.

Reactions: Ashendale

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As a first try at making a pack with variable difficulty, I would say Infinity Evolved is a smashing success. Having two packs on the launcher with the exact same (or similar enough) mod list would be just as confusing, if not more, and twice as much work to maintain. Consider the future, where we realize the potential to tie recipes directly into game difficulty, or even have multiple difficulties for the pack that continue to be independent of game settings. This allows the player more control over their own experience, while still building packs that can be mass consumed while being connected easily for server play. This is a good thing.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Though it is indeed a good thing, there are "balance" changes that, in my view, are more directed to one mode in particular. This buffs or nerfs the other mode, as a consequence, changing gameplay.

The compromise would be either 2 packs, as mentioned, or the development of a mod (if necessary or possible) that allows config changes during a game session or, at worst, on startup.

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
Inaeo, I have discussed this idea with several people, especially the idea as Ashendale mentioned, of a mod which does ingame config changes. Most opinions are this would be very difficult to accomplish. However the idea one player like me, who could play along side a hardcore player, and both have fun is an awesome concept. Thaumcraft may have the answer to this problem, since it has a "per player" level of research granting access to recipes. Recipes being the primary attempt at balancing.
A word of caution here, Minecraft is not a game inspite of the fact, it gets the label. Minecraft is sandbox program, where the player decides the goals and strategies. Anytime you take the complete freedom of a "kitchen sink" collection of mods and start trying to "balance it", you restrict the player to one path in the tech tree. Even Slowpoke( I think? last guy on the right in the video) said it forces a player to do things.
The worst thing about a "balance" mod pack is those restrictions, changed vanilla recipes which causes disorientation, and a lack of proper documentation. Thuamcraft has a very good visual display of the connection between recipes, I have noticed even NotEnoughItems does not prioritize on what an author considers important changes.
<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gi15-95Cow8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note added: After some thought on this subject, the noble idea of a flexible skill world where lowend players can Minecraft alongside hardcore players will be crushed or destroyed by the seriously discriminating actions of hardcore players. In other words, the Hardcore players will say, they do not want, "morons" in their game. Also along this line of thinking Lowend players will not want the rudeness of hardcore players ruining their fun. While it is difficult, but not impossible to have a player flexible skill Minecraft world, the two groups would never get along. I recommend you leave well enough alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashendale

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
Also, I was wondering if anyone has noticed a world gen flaw in Twilight Forest. I set up a BC quarry in a small alcove or bay right next to the portal. The coordinates said the bay bottom started at 19 while the water level is at about 12 higher or so. I expected this to be a very short time for BC quarry, but this has continued for quite a while. As a matter of fact, currently I have pulled well over 50 stacks of redstone, (among other items usually found below level 15) from this quarry and more coming. Most full size BC quarries never yield any where near this amount. Not that I am complaining,,, heh

K

kitten2021

Hello all, I am new to the FTB mods for Minecraft (but not new to mods in general - MC for that matter). ;)

I was curious, I LOVE Infinity Evolved, but I noticed something... A lot of the other mods in the FTB launcher have the Vein Miner mod attached to it, is there any chance that mod will be getting added to the Infinity Evolved mod? As I have had nothing but horrible experiences with Forge, I tend to stay away from it, meaning anything that required it is no longer an option for me (and I know a few other people that have had similar issues with Forge as I). It would just be nice to see that one mod added to the Infinity Evolved pack some day.

Hope this is the right place to be asking this. ^.^

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
At this point they have stopped dev work on Infinity Evolved (still working on the new skyblock version though). So I don't think they will add anything to it. But, there is nothing preventing you from manually adding that mod yourself.

I'm sort of curious about the forge comment. Forge is the basis for every FTB and 3rd party pack available on the Curse and FTB launchers.

Reactions: Dkittrell

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Just a suggestion, but more an opinion, I guess.

When the 2.5.0 update came out, I noticed Forbidden Magic was updated and the Dragonslayer Sword was removed. I was curious, so I checked the mod forum. Apparently the mod auther developed that item with countering Draconic Evolution users in mind. It was removed, because DE features a hardcoded part where it does not allow for the player to die while wearing armor with charge. Ever. So the author said "ah, screw it, why bother" and removed it.

So this got some questions coming to my mind: why bother with tweaking and balancing so many mods in a pack like this if one single mod makes all that irrelephant? I understand nobody forces us to use any particular mod or feature, but if we consider server play, either it's disabled or you might as well forget about anything but rushing to get Draconium ore. It's being as close to creative as you can get, without being in creative. Weapons and armor? DE. Energy source and storage? DW. Item storage and ore doubling? DE.

I understand I just might sound sore, but if anyone can read this not assuming that, I'd say it makes some sense.

TL;DR - Either don't bother using Draconic Evolution again or make sure to pester the author to profide a configuration file to allow for people to die even with the armor with power or any other thing that can be considered balancing.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My understanding is that a full kit of draconic evolution gear, supplied with power, is supposed to render you essentially immune to environmental deaths, period. For players such as myself, this isn't an issue, because I'm more interested in the pack's various tech challenges and I could care less about anything PVE-related.

Just another perspective fwiw. Obviously this is going to annoy players who like battling mobs, and the dangers of lava, and other assorted twitchy stuff like that.

L

loudwhitenoise

Looks like this thread isn't very active, is the pack still being worked on? I have a suggestion for a mod to add: Cooking For Blockheads. Managing all the many recipes from Pam's Harvestcraft is kind of really annoying for me so I shoved the mod in my install and haven't yet encountered any problems. I feel kind of cheaty breaking the balance of expert mode, but it's better than me trying to juggle which of the many crops goes with which of the many tools, and constantly look up the recipe. What do you guys think of making it be an official part of the pack, with expert tweaking?

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
You do know they're getting ready to release Infinity 1.10.2 right? A few of the bigger YouTubers have been LP'ing the alpha release for a month now. 1.7.10 is, unfortunately, breathing it's last breaths. Time to embrace change and move to 1.10.2. No, the mods you're accustomed to aren't in 1.10 for the most part, but dude, the new stuff for 1.10 is amazing. It took me a bit to get into it, but I have a hard time playing 1.7 mods and modpacks now because of how much fun the 1.10 ones are.