FTB Infinity 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

LuisAdeur

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to properly disable mods that are in the pack? I'd like to streamline Infinity Evolved to take some strain off my poor computer (namely by removing the magic mods) but every time I disable a mod using the launcher it makes it so the pack wont load any more. Is there something else I have to do first, or can I just not disable mods in this pack?
this pack is design to not be able to run without the mods pre defined by the author of the modpack. therefor nope there's no way to run this pack disabling mods. you can add mods that don't affect changes in the game example
fastcraft , optifine , etc. everything else will throw you an error

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to properly disable mods that are in the pack? I'd like to streamline Infinity Evolved to take some strain off my poor computer (namely by removing the magic mods) but every time I disable a mod using the launcher it makes it so the pack wont load any more. Is there something else I have to do first, or can I just not disable mods in this pack?
this pack is design to not be able to run without the mods pre defined by the author of the modpack. therefor nope there's no way to run this pack disabling mods. you can add mods that don't affect changes in the game example
fastcraft , optifine , etc. everything else will throw you an error
Yeah, pretty much this. This pack was designed with a lot of cross mod recipes. If any of the mods were removed it would become extremely difficult to impossible to play "Expert" mode. As there is a lot of inter mod dependency going on in that mode.

These are the mods I disabled to get the pack up and running and fulfill your requirements. Not for sure if they all needed to be disabled. The ones that lead to a crash might even work alright if the configs are changed somewhere. Not for sure what issues might arise from this setup. I was able to start a test world with this setup.
BiblioWoods[BiomesOPlenty][v1.9].jar.disabled
BiomesOPlenty-1.7.10-2.1.0.1396-universal.jar.disabled - was throwing crashes. I think it was a config issue somewhere.
BloodMagic-1.7.10-1.3.3-17.jar.disabled
Botania r1.7-233.jar.disabled
CustomMainMenu-MC1.7.10-1.9.2.jar.disabled - no reason to disable this one. No reason not to either. So its gone.
Forbidden Magic-1.7.10-0.57.jar.disabled
FTBLib-1.7.10-1.0.11.1.jar.disabled - the FTB mods might work with the pack edited. Pretty sure issues would exist.
FTBTweaks-1.0.0.jar.disabled
FTBUtilities-1.7.10-1.0.11.1.jar.disabled
mystcraft-1.7.10-0.12.3.00.jar.disabled
Thaumcraft-1.7.10-4.2.3.5.jar.disabled
thaumcraftneiplugin-1.7.10-1.7a.jar.disabled
thaumicenergistics-0.8.10.10.jar.disabled
ThaumicExploration-1.7.10-1.1-53.jar.disabled
ThaumicTinkerer-2.5-1.7.10-512.jar.disabled
witchery-1.7.10-0.24.1.jar.disabled

I tried disabling "magicbees-1.7.10-2.3.6.jar". The client threw a error related to it. Tried different things. Re-enabled it in the end. Probably could be disabled if the source of the error it causes was dealt with.

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm building a base in a snowy biome. Is there a light source I can use to prevent monsters spawning everywhere, but wont melt the ice and snow all around it?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Not sure if this will work. But try a carpenters. Dig a whole (1x1) and place the carpenters block in it. then shift click a glowstone dust into it. Then place a block you removed in to it.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
The carpenters block doesn't work, it still melts the snow. Guess I'll have to find a mod that has cold light sources or something

Conznes

Jul 29, 2019
The carpenters block doesn't work, it still melts the snow. Guess I'll have to find a mod that has cold light sources or something

Maybe you could use carpenter's blocks with snow overlay around your base instead? I bet that doesn't melt when lit.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
It might be possible. The mod might have to change the normal melting mechanic for snow though.
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Snow_(layer)
Snow will melt if there is a block light level of 12 or more. It will only melt from sunlight in Pocket Edition.

Edit:
Just remembered, I read this while verifying the other bit.
  • Snow layers of 2 to 7 thickness prevent hostile mobs from spawning.

Edit:
?Magnum Torch?

Last edited:

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
[Rant]
Personally I love all the changes that the ftb team made to the recipies. Their are two modes, all your people belly aching can go play normal mode ;) seriously though, why complain about something you are choosing to play? Don't like it, then play in normal.
[/rant]

Anyways.... I've been trying for the life of me to simplif you all my usual setups for evolved as my usually setups are all over the top.

Automated mining in the bedrock dimension with blood magic and funky locomotion for the win. Darn those 4 awakened icor picks!

Looking at the mod list and recipies, I sorta wish things were harded. We just had the first creative energy cell crafted on our server. Really? That was quicker then I thought would happen.

Wish their was an easier way to automate the dire crafting table.

Also, can't seem to get IE seeds to output correctly with agricraft... or maybe I'm a derp.

Am so looking forward to the next update from both IC2 & IE!

Would love to know where to suggest things for the pack. Maybe add in the Immersive Integration or Magneticraft. Or you know..... chromatic craft. :)

Anywise, would love to see some setups people!

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
[Rant]
Personally I love all the changes that the ftb team made to the recipies. Their are two modes, all your people belly aching can go play normal mode ;) seriously though, why complain about something you are choosing to play? Don't like it, then play in normal.
[/rant]
I think people want to play hard mode, as it was added as a way to extend the shelf life of infinity, and the people who don't like it want to play infinity that has some sort of progression line (as they are already "done" with Infinity normal mode).
But the people are also grossly disappointed that the recipes weren't just made hard, they were made ridiculous in some cases. Yes, some recipes you wouldn't know where touched, if you have never used the mod (e.g. any changes to IE)

There are mods in Infinity which many people didn't use for one reason or another, and now they are being forced to use them. While they may sound like a win (people using mods which don't usually get used in Infinity), but to the player that is highly annoying (being FORCED to use a mod you abandoned a long time ago for one reason or another).
Look at the forced usage of IC2 for almost everything tech. I don't know a single person who would use that if there was ANY alternative, even if you gave them something like IE as the only alternative (which is much harder to get set up, and working fully). And in a pack like infinity where there's at least 3 different tech options for everything in IC2 it seems a little stupid to make that the ONLY mod that can do certain things (e.g. making plates/dense plates)

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Look at the forced usage of IC2 for almost everything tech. I don't know a single person who would use that if there was ANY alternative, even if you gave them something like IE as the only alternative (which is much harder to get set up, and working fully). And in a pack like infinity where there's at least 3 different tech options for everything in IC2 it seems a little stupid to make that the ONLY mod that can do certain things (e.g. making plates/dense plates)

And that is the entire point. You don't know anybody who would use it if their was an alternative, any alternative.... TO make people use mods they don't normally use.

But back to that comment... Why not use IC2? Harder to set up? psh... Let me edjumacate you on why I personally like it, and why I dont.
  1. Fastest of all ore doubling. Don't believe me? Find me something in the infinity pack That will double ores faster then a macerator with 16 overclockers in it.
  2. Teleportation anybody?
  3. Want a mob grinder? Use tesla-coils.
  4. Obscurator. Try it. It is amazing.
  5. Was doing farmcraft before agricraft.
And for the dislikes:
  • Complicated, You dont get everything in the first 10 min.
  • Unforgiving... You can/will loose your stuff/base/life.
    • Reactors are Unforgiving. :(
  • No real fluid or item movement.

But then again, The fact for/against IC2 are mine and your opinions. And we dont make the pack. I do feel that they could have allowed for multiple tech paths... but that is neither here nor their.

being FORCED to use a mod you abandoned a long time ago for one reason or another
I would love to hear from somebody that is being "forced" to play on evolved. :D

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
But then again, The fact for/against IC2 are mine and your opinions. And we dont make the pack. I do feel that they could have allowed for multiple tech paths... but that is neither here nor their.
IMO there should be other options, as everyone has their own preference with mods. For example if you are into your magic mods, you will have a favourite and least favourite. For example some people love Botania, but hate Thaumcraft. And that's the main problem when you do very rigid progression lines. People are being made to use a mod they dislike/hate/would never use. If I was to create a progression line, generally I would allow at least 2 options (unless part of the line made sense to only have 1 option, e.g. making a blood orb using blood magic, but then being able to make blood runes through blood magic OR Botania)

I would love to hear from somebody that is being "forced" to play on evolved. :D
TRUE. But it feels forced... If you don't like Infinity because it's easy, then you have hard mode (or another pack, I know, but you like mod diversity too?)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I do like mod diversity. I personally think that they did make two lines... Magic and tech. The only real one I would use in both other then agricraft is tinkers.
Well yes, but I mean 2 lines for each "category". For example ore doubling using tech: IC2 OR Immersive Engineering. Making plates: IC2 OR Forestry. Getting the soujourners sash: Thaumcraft OR Twilight Forest.
Because giving people just one possible way to do stuff is a sure-fire way to get some (or more than some) people riled up, especially in a pack as large as Infinity. When you have a lot of mods you are bound to include mods some people don't like.
Personally I hate Biomes o Plenty, and even if I don't create a BoP world, I still have to deal with the BS from the mod which I don't like (e.g. poison ivy). For a lot of people which I know, IC2 falls in the same category, and being made to use that, if you want to "enjoy" the game a little more (i.e. adding some sort of progression to it, and not being able to get something OP without doing something intermediate first), really puts them off.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I will second jordsta95 comments. I'll use crushed obsidian as an example, this material is required for a lot of crafting but its only source is the rock crusher. There should be another machine that can produce this faster. Another example that does have in game alternatives is steel. You can make it either blast furnace (which is okay to start with) or you can make it in the induction smelter (much faster and easier) as a later game alternative.

Reactions: jordsta95

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
And while I agree that having multiple lines foe achieving the end result would be nice, even wanted, I do have a thought.

Do you know how much of a pain in the Arsenal it is to balance recipies? OMG is it ridicules. I personally find it amazing that they did as well as they did to begin with.

Another thought. Two ways of doing tech... how do you make sure people actually use both ways? You need to make sure that one is not super more attractive then the other. I applaud them for making their both magic and tech lines.

Now, let's just say you have to have another way of making dense plates? Well, realistically, how? How do you add it in so that it is at the same location in the tiring if the pack as the ic2 equivalent machine? A good rule is that if you really want something fixed (fixed in this case does not mean broken, just another option) make sure you have an idea on how to implement it. Personally I'll have no problem making you a script for you single player world if you can balance it.

And really, if you come up with a way to do it that was balanced and did not make the ic2 path redundant, I'm sure that @Watchful11 or one of the other pack development team members would at least consider it. (Consider, and then accept with open arms or shoot it down like a boss.)

P.S. sorry watchful, your the only one I know who is a pack dev. Meh.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
BTW I hate (sort hate. Really just don't like) witchery. Love BM and TC.

Also out of all the tech mods I think I would prefer to not have to use DE. Not for difficulty but it reminds me to much of dart craft for balance.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
There might be a few things that we would be interested in adding an alternate recipe for, but dense plates and crushed obsidian wouldn't be on the list. Crushed obsidian isn't used in very large quantities, and obsidian itself is cheap, so keeping a stock of them is easy. Dense plates can easily be sped up with overclockers and more power.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
There might be a few things that we would be interested in adding an alternate recipe for, but dense plates and crushed obsidian wouldn't be on the list. Crushed obsidian isn't used in very large quantities, and obsidian itself is cheap, so keeping a stock of them is easy. Dense plates can easily be sped up with overclockers and more power.
I believe that they were more looking towards the idea of another path other than the railcraft/IC2 to get those items...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
And while I agree that having multiple lines foe achieving the end result would be nice, even wanted, I do have a thought.

Do you know how much of a pain in the Arsenal it is to balance recipies? OMG is it ridicules. I personally find it amazing that they did as well as they did to begin with.

Another thought. Two ways of doing tech... how do you make sure people actually use both ways? You need to make sure that one is not super more attractive then the other. I applaud them for making their both magic and tech lines.

Now, let's just say you have to have another way of making dense plates? Well, realistically, how? How do you add it in so that it is at the same location in the tiring if the pack as the ic2 equivalent machine? A good rule is that if you really want something fixed (fixed in this case does not mean broken, just another option) make sure you have an idea on how to implement it. Personally I'll have no problem making you a script for you single player world if you can balance it.

And really, if you come up with a way to do it that was balanced and did not make the ic2 path redundant, I'm sure that @Watchful11 or one of the other pack development team members would at least consider it. (Consider, and then accept with open arms or shoot it down like a boss.)

P.S. sorry watchful, your the only one I know who is a pack dev. Meh.
I can make the scripts myself :p
But it's not just me that would be using them, it'd be something a fair few servers would most likely be interested in.

As for an alternative dense plate (or crush obsidian) recipe, I don't think it HAS to be at the same tier that you could get them. Heck, look at making steel. There is a way to get it faster in a later tier, and that's fine. But it should be the same with dense plates, crush obsidian, etc. just because (calling @watchful to listen) not everyone enjoys having IC2 stuff in their base. It may be something they are OK using when they are in their starter hovel, but when making a permanent base, IC2 may not be a mod a lot of people care about, especially if all they are really using it for it to make plates (yes, they can use the hammer, but that's still an annoying way to do it). And the same goes for crushed obsidian. It's a 3x2x2 multiblock that just looks like a cuboid. It's not pretty, and it doesn't really fit with any other machine (unless the player is only using the crusher and steam boiler). Maybe moving the immersive engineering crusher to require crushed obsidian to craft (one of the components for it), just so you have to have done the Railcraft way, but then you can have a machine that fits in with the rest of the machines in a room (or at least the option to do so, if people want to have a room full of machines from one mod)

BTW I hate (sort hate. Really just don't like) witchery. Love BM and TC.

Also out of all the tech mods I think I would prefer to not have to use DE. Not for difficulty but it reminds me to much of dart craft for balance.
And that is exactly the point of having 2 mod progression lines, IMO DE is overpowered and wouldn't use it even if it was the only mod that added armour/weapons/etc., and being forced to use it is like a forced love affair. You WILL use this mod whether you like it or not.
It may not bother me so much if every mod was being made to use equally, or you had the option to skip some of the less popular/more "controversial" mods, but this isn't a possibility

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance of another mode being added that makes every path equally as difficult? Basically one where the aim isn't to get others to use mods they wouldn't normally use. It would be more aimed into making all mods equally difficult to use. With every mod's recipes made to use other similar tiered items in the other mods. It wouldn't slow the start up of any mod as much as it would slow the player down until they had progressed equally in all the mods in that group.

Maybe a april fools mode as well? would be a good time to start working on it.