FTB Infinity 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
While I like the idea of cross mod recipes. I have to say I don't care for the grind aspect of making something. For example, I get the wood plank nerf to encourage the use of the sawmill. What I don't get is making the sawmill so ridiculously expensive pain in the a*# to make it. I also didn't care for the fact that I can't make wood planks out any logs by just using the crafting table. At this point I regret setting up my server for people to use on expert mode. I've gotten nothing but complaints about it. So I'll probably reset the server and have everyone start over in normal mode.

I do have one question, in normal mode since it removes most of the cross mod recipes can I then remove mods like witchery and blood magic?
Yes, but I wouldn't.
I tried removing BoP and the mods that connect to it once, and my server would never start up (as I hate BoP with a burning passion)

Expert:
-Nerfed all TiC Traveller's Gear.
*looks at the new recipes*

...do the devs even know how this gear works?
The wings are armor. Not a bauble. THERE IS NO REASON TO USE THEM IF YOU HAVE A SASH ALREADY. Upgraded, you can get slowfall. That's it. There are a few situations where slowfall is useful I suppose, but in that case you should just get dark steel armor and a glider. It'd be CHEAPER, even. Oh, and hey, you can make the Openblocks glider with just leather and sticks.
The belt gives a single extra hotbar, in a modpack that has no inventory issues. So it's not a powerful item, yet it costs a reinforced strongbox?!
The vest and boots could potentially be useful if you upgrade them? The recipes for them aren't too bad considering that. I'm not sure I'd use traveler's boots over boots of the traveler, considering you can't enchant the tcon boots.

Overall, the tcon armor kinda sucks and these recipes are absolutely ridiculous when you take that into account. A full suit of it is not vastly superior to the effects of Boots of the Traveler or a Soujourner's Sash, and so you're better off wearing enchanted gear instead.

Expert Mode seems to be more about spiteful grinding than cross-mod recipes, I'm finding. Some things are excessively restricted while other similar items are easily obtained. Immersive Engineering in particular seems to be untouched and unconnected with any other mod, aside from treated wood for making the forge hammer(and other things), and enderium for the termoelectric generator.
Agreed. Also, why they just outright disabled some recipes is beyond me. Maybe I want to have my whole based powered by lava in the late game... well now I can't.

A few other recipes are just outright ridiculous. Such as the dense refined iron plates -> machine casing.
Ok, I don't mind using IC2 to make something to use BC to make a crafting component. However, when refined iron uses steel, and the only way to get steel is extremely slow and painful (Blast Furnace) it's no fun. I wouldn't have had an issue if they left the induction furnace recipe in, and made the induction furnace harder to craft. Yes it would be a pain for a while, but at least when I reach the point of making the induction furnace I can then make steel a little bit easier.

Reactions: Henry Link

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
While I like the idea of cross mod recipes. I have to say I don't care for the grind aspect of making something. For example, I get the wood plank nerf to encourage the use of the sawmill. What I don't get is making the sawmill so ridiculously expensive pain in the a*# to make it. I also didn't care for the fact that I can't make wood planks out any logs by just using the crafting table. At this point I regret setting up my server for people to use on expert mode. I've gotten nothing but complaints about it. So I'll probably reset the server and have everyone start over in normal mode.

I do have one question, in normal mode since it removes most of the cross mod recipes can I then remove mods like witchery and blood magic?

IMO nothing is a pain to make early on. It does take some time to get some of the early machines but everything is fairly easy it just takes time.This pack is fresh, we have played a week and noone is even close to "end game" stuff which keeps it interesting. In normal you can have a decent power system,AE,and quarry in a matter of hours which causes it to get boring rather quickly as youll have all the materials and automation you'll ever need. In expert you need to think about the what you're doing and look ahead at what that takes and plan it out.Sure some,actually a lot of the recipes are rather ridiculous such as a mana tablet which is a early game item in Botania requires me to put some time into tc but on that same note i wouldnt even use tc if it wasnt for that which creates a different experience as well because im using mods i normally wouldnt. Just my view

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
IMO nothing is a pain to make early on. It does take some time to get some of the early machines but everything is fairly easy it just takes time.This pack is fresh, we have played a week and noone is even close to "end game" stuff which keeps it interesting. In normal you can have a decent power system,AE,and quarry in a matter of hours which causes it to get boring rather quickly as youll have all the materials and automation you'll ever need. In expert you need to think about the what you're doing and look ahead at what that takes and plan it out.Sure some,actually a lot of the recipes are rather ridiculous such as a mana tablet which is a early game item in Botania requires me to put some time into tc but on that same note i wouldnt even use tc if it wasnt for that which creates a different experience as well because im using mods i normally wouldnt. Just my view
Yeah, but a lot of the recipes don't tend to the progression line of mods, which is a PITA.
Why is Refined Iron now steel? Why do you need 9 steel for a machine casing? Why lasers, which use a lot of power which (before you have I.E. power setups) are pretty slow to power? Why does a tool forge take 72 steel ingots and a bit of processing to make?

It seems, at least to me, the early game was made to be slow. Blast furnaces, coal coke ovens, lasers, etc. And there are no better ways to do the early game stuff when you get to late game.

What happens when you're there making your AE system, you find out you need 300 steel ingots (or something), and you only have 32. Well now you have to wait for the other 268 to craft. There's no faster option when you get into mid-late game

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but a lot of the recipes don't tend to the progression line of mods, which is a PITA.
Why is Refined Iron now steel? Why do you need 9 steel for a machine casing? Why lasers, which use a lot of power which (before you have I.E. power setups) are pretty slow to power? Why does a tool forge take 72 steel ingots and a bit of processing to make?

It seems, at least to me, the early game was made to be slow. Blast furnaces, coal coke ovens, lasers, etc. And there are no better ways to do the early game stuff when you get to late game.

What happens when you're there making your AE system, you find out you need 300 steel ingots (or something), and you only have 32. Well now you have to wait for the other 268 to craft. There's no faster option when you get into mid-late game
You can literally throw coal/charcoal and iron at it to fix it. 2 coaldust or 4 charcoal dust and iron in an induction smelter makes refined iron. You can make it pretty early on if you so desire. Not that throwing away coal to make it is wise super early on when you rely on that for fuel but if you head towards water wheels you don't exactly use coal for much else and it certainly speeds up steel production. (1 steel every 10 seconds or so with out augments. Much faster if you use speed augs)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You can literally throw coal/charcoal and iron at it to fix it. 2 coaldust or 4 charcoal dust and iron in an induction smelter makes refined iron. You can make it pretty early on if you so desire. Not that throwing away coal to make it is wise super early on when you rely on that for fuel but if you head towards water wheels you don't exactly use coal for much else and it certainly speeds up steel production. (1 steel every 10 seconds or so with out augments. Much faster if you use speed augs)
Unless I missed the recipe in NEI, that isn't possible in expert mode

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019

Yes the pack was designed to extend early game and slow down progression, this has been mentioned many times by the devs of the pack.As i mentioned some of the receipes are little ridiculous but very doable. Steel for instance is time consuming early game but once you get an induction smelter you can make steel with iron and pulverized coal and you can get tons of it in a fairly short amount of time.Regarding power and lasers you have to quick choices, either find a village with a railcraft building and take the engine from there or make a water mill which you only need wood and creosote oil and this gives you free power. I made 2 hardened energy cell and just let i fill up and it had enough energy built up to handle when i needed stuff from my laser. Then regarding AE i do agree the receipes and changes in this mod is ridiculous but this is going to force people to use logistic pipes mod if they want a better storage and you can even do auto crafting.

Again i do understand this mod pack probably isnt for everyone and i would be lying if i didnt say something got me frustrated but thats just because im impatient lol.People just need to open their horizons and be willing to learn and use different mods.This pack reminds me a lot of the 1.4.7 ultimate pack with IMO was the best pack ever made, lot of people would agree.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Just started playing expert mode yesterday. Enjoying most of. I am used to being able to set up most my early game stuff with a tree or two. Took me a several trees to get everything I wanted. Would think I had the materials to just find out I a recipe wasn't what I expected. Finally got the tinker stuff put together, along with the crafting table, and chest. Probably would have taken less time if I went with vanilla versions of stuff. Like taking five logs for a carpenters door, where a vanilla door would have only taken 3. Then there was the larger chest. I just had to try that out. It took a extra four logs to craft. The larger chest does have lots of good things going for it though.

Did cheat a little though. I wanted to find out how to find biomes in game that I would like to possibly build in. Couldn't really find any source that verified that was possible. So I tested it in a world with the same seed. Found it was possible in creative at least. Noted down the coordinates to a biome that was close to spawn that I liked. So now I am taking down the village that is close to the origin biome I am claiming.

Little brother picked his base based on a nice find he made while exploring near spawn. I explored a lot around spawn. Yet had completely missed it. He didn't recognize it. I did. I told him right away what it probably was.
nn3EJbe.png

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Little brother picked his base based on a nice find he made while exploring near spawn. I explored a lot around spawn. Yet had completely missed it. He didn't recognize it. I did. I told him right away what it probably was.
nn3EJbe.png

Oooooh.. If that's what I think it is, he's gonna have a bad time.. Or a good time if he knows what it is, and what to do with it!

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
What is it? Please do tell, because, to me, they look like dayblooms
Its dayblooms and nightshades that will never wither. They can't be moved and most of whatever was supposed to be there was destroyed by the pool of poison erasing it on gen.

wqt0806

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I recently started paly in expert mode. Today I updated modpack to version 2.1.2 and start a new game with no bonus chest, but it turns out that wood pickaxe can not pick anything now. What should I do to get my first usable tool?

I have tried tinker's construct, but can make a wooden pickaxe from the part builder

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I recently started paly in expert mode. Today I updated modpack to version 2.1.2 and start a new game with no bonus chest, but it turns out that wood pickaxe can not pick anything now. What should I do to get my first usable tool?

I have tried tinker's construct, but can make a wooden pickaxe from the part builder
Flint pickaxe?

Reactions: wqt0806

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019

Strange. I made a vanilla wooden pickaxe. I got six uses out of it. All stone. That was plenty to make all my tools. I have been playing for the last few days and am still using that exact same set of tools.

Chisel is has a lot more uses then one would expect. I decided to try something out. I hit a block of stone with a chisel. Which turned it into stone bricks. Then put that in the chisel (which I didn't need to do at all). Hit a bunch more stone. Mined the stone bricks. Then popped them all in the chisel and made them into stone. Easy way to get stone when you are far from a furnace, or don't want to take the time to cook it.

Reactions: MCBozo and wqt0806

wqt0806

Jul 29, 2019
Flint pickaxe?
I have figured it out. The problem is because I used the iguana tinker's tweaks mod. It prevents starting game with wooden tools and flint no longer drop when digging gravel. Instead, I have to use 3 gravels to make one flint.
Anyway, problem solved. Thanks~

Strange. I made a vanilla wooden pickaxe. I got six uses out of it. All stone. That was plenty to make all my tools. I have been playing for the last few days and am still using that exact same set of tools.

Chisel is has a lot more uses then one would expect. I decided to try something out. I hit a block of stone with a chisel. Which turned it into stone bricks. Then put that in the chisel (which I didn't need to do at all). Hit a bunch more stone. Mined the stone bricks. Then popped them all in the chisel and made them into stone. Easy way to get stone when you are far from a furnace, or don't want to take the time to cook it.
Yeah, that is really a good idea for saving time and energy resources. Thank you for the tip :)
I now have a water wheel from immersive engineering which gives me about 90RF/tick output, very decent early game facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Made it to the World Border. Was more then a seven thousand five hundred block trip. Took a few real life hours. Kept getting side tracked by the neat stuff I found along the way. Found about four patches of those eternal blooms from Botania. I use the term patch loosely. As it seemed that terrain gen had mostly destroyed all of them. Two of the patches had less then three flowers in it. They aren't as rare as I thought they would be. Found Three of them in towns. Next to last town I visited had a full fledged Agricraft Building. "Had" is extremely accurate actually. I put all the seeds in a chest that I left behind. Kept all the irrigation system though. Including the water tank. Also found a biomes o' plenty death bloom near one of the forestry house apiaries. Stored it in a strong box until I can figure out what to do with it. The withering effect on it is interesting.

I had started with two strongboxes. Was just going out to get sand and didn't want my trip to be cut short by a full inventory. I ended the journey with eight of them. Almost all of them were completely full. I think it was all town loot too. Found a desert less then five hundred blocks from my base. Found a beach on the other side of that. Dug up four stacks of sand at the beach. Decided I hadn't needed to go far. Was wondering what if the World Border I had set up actually worked. Decided to go test it.

It didn't work at all like I thought it would. I am probably miss remembering the footage I had seen on the vanilla world border though. It was modeled after that. I think they got it pretty close. Thing actually managed to freak me out a little when I tested it out.
b9uxoXH.png

OH, my world has two Origin valley biomes within eight hundred blocks of spawn. They are located in opposite directions from it. Not much caring for the way journey map works either. I really like the mod. It is a very nice mod to have. So far the best looking map mod I have seen. Thing hates remembering maps accurately though. It also loves to lose waypoints. Every time I have updated a mod pack I remember having lost all the waypoints for my maps. I had this world in both single player and on a online server. I went into the single player instance to test a issue I was having with the game. Went back to multiplayer and my map was completely reset and all my waypoints were gone. That single player instance is gone now do to that. I don't want it to happen again.

World Gen: BIOMESOP
Seed: 1035293752
for anyone interested in Biomes of the "Origin Valley" variety

Conznes

Jul 29, 2019
Every time I have updated a mod pack I remember having lost all the waypoints for my maps. I had this world in both single player and on a online server. I went into the single player instance to test a issue I was having with the game. Went back to multiplayer and my map was completely reset and all my waypoints were gone. That single player instance is gone now do to that. I don't want it to happen again.

In your minecraft/modpack folder, journeymap has a folder where it stores waypoints. I often back this up myself, then you can copy it back in if they get wiped. /journeymap/data/sp/[worldname].

Reactions: DeathOfTime

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity Evolved, expert mode. Latest release.

Is there any way to make singleplayer more like singleplayer.
It seems the game acts like it's on a server. Lots of delays (picking items up off the ground, block placing, etc.) and I have no idea why. It's not like there's a lot going on at the minute. Just a couple of machines :/

EDIT:
Apparently claiming chunks in SP makes your world act like a server... @LatvianModder told me to unclaim them, and everything (so far) seems to be fine :)

Last edited:

Balekin

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to properly disable mods that are in the pack? I'd like to streamline Infinity Evolved to take some strain off my poor computer (namely by removing the magic mods) but every time I disable a mod using the launcher it makes it so the pack wont load any more. Is there something else I have to do first, or can I just not disable mods in this pack?