FTB Infinity 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Timothiess

Jul 29, 2019
How important is Biomes O' Plenty to this modpack? Can I swap it with Alternate Terrain Generation or ExtrabiomesXL and still progress?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I see one of the things on the list of stuff we can post on this thread is tips and tricks. I have seen people playing this like they would Reg infinity and feel they will make other people waste loads of resources. so here is a starter list of Dos and Don'ts for Infinity Evolved.
1. First day after taking time to set up your game and reading the starter tips any get 6 pieces of wood. This will allow you to make a table and wood pick. Then grab your 6 pieces of cobblestone but don't make a reg stone pick. Make a stone axe instead and gather wood while you look for a Village. (Save the other 3 peices for later TiCo Tools)

2. Find a village as soon as possible. It will give you a leg up and you might find a Tico house with TiCo parts like metal pick heads. TiCo Houses also have enough wool in the floor to make a bedroll.

3. As you are traveling look and gather the following things.
1.Berry Gardens (just right click and break later) You are looking for candle berries.
2. 24 leather (might need TiCo Tables first)
3. Dark oak, Jungle, or Spuce saplings. (you will need loads of wood at the start and these will give you the most)
4. a source of wool. (in case you don't find a village)
5. Mark a Magic Forest if you come acrossed one. (Free Mossy Cobble)
6. Look and mark any apatite for use in getting fertilizer for Candleberry growth.
4. If you can't find a Village before night find a good spot and make your TiCo set up and use the other 3 stone to make a sword, axe, and pick.

5. When you get to a Village find the wheat buying Villager a sell enough wheat to get 1 emerald gem. Then place that on Your pick.. This will up grade it to Redstone level. Then Go mining and find ruby, sapphire, or Peridot (sp) Gems. They are Redstone level and can be used for Tico tools. Use ruby for Melee weapons and Peridot for the pick. Peridot is the fast of the 3 and Ruby has the highest damage. Don't Make Metal Tools Till You get Aluminium, iron, and Obsidian for the Cobalt level pick you will just be waste metal you will need later.

6. Don't make Iron Armor. Harden Leather uses way less iron and is the same protection and Dur. It is a waste of metal to make Iron Armor. Don't forget you need 4 iron for a pot (don't use copper) for Wax.

7. You will be making a pot for your Harden leather. Make use of this by making stew. If you use the stew recipe it will be a great food source for little effort if you find a village with farms. Use carrots to make stock.

Hopefully this help.

Last edited:

ElGimpoGrande

Jul 29, 2019
I just recently started playing ftb infinity evolved and I'm having a weird phenomenon or maybe I'm just stupid.

Up until now I powered all of my IC2 Machines from a energy cell -> Immersive Engineering LV Connector -> Machine
That works fine, just not for the Electric Heat Generator. It doesn't take energy that way.
Energy Cell -> RedNet Energy Cable -> Electric Heat Generator also doesnt work (tested in creative)
Kinetic Generator -> Insulated Copper Cable -> Electric Heat Generator works fine (tested in creative)

Anyone know if this is a bug / intentional ?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Is there a way to play the FTB Evolved and be able to downgrade back to the version my server is running?

I would like to try out the harder Evolved Infinity, but I want my server to stay an older version.. My friends are still FTB noobs and I would not want to subject them to hard mode just yet LOL.

The reason why I ask, is when one of my friends downloaded FTB, and accidentally downloaded the recommended version of infinity, even when she tried to download/run the older version that's on the server, it would always load the newer one.

Or was she doing something wrong?

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
hard mode is a toggle command and defaults to normal (nonhard) with the new version.
just update your server and not toggle hard mode on

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I just recently started playing ftb infinity evolved and I'm having a weird phenomenon or maybe I'm just stupid.

Up until now I powered all of my IC2 Machines from a energy cell -> Immersive Engineering LV Connector -> Machine
That works fine, just not for the Electric Heat Generator. It doesn't take energy that way.
Energy Cell -> RedNet Energy Cable -> Electric Heat Generator also doesnt work (tested in creative)
Kinetic Generator -> Insulated Copper Cable -> Electric Heat Generator works fine (tested in creative)

Anyone know if this is a bug / intentional ?
You should be able to Run power to a IC2 Bat and then IC2 power to the Electric Heat Generator using IC2 wires.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So... for anyone playing expert mode, and is having a hard time getting started, I think I have found a cunning solution (at least until it gets fixed; if FTB see this as a bug/oversight)

Runic Dungeons.
If, like me, you play on peaceful mode, well get yourself set up with tinkers, go mining, find diamonds, and once you have 3, make yourself a tool (bronze/electrum would be a good idea - the latter for speedier mining) and add a diamond modifier to it (so you can mine obsidian).
Now, spend a good hour or two trying to find magical chalk in loot chests around the world, and once you have 3, go look for a village (if you didn't find one already) and trade a villager that has one of those lovely trades - e.g. 12 wheat for an emerald - for 2 of his finest emeralds (if you didn't do this already)
Now scuttle on down to your base, and make yourself a chisel (if you haven't already) and get yourself 8 stone bricks and 1 chiselled stone brick (for the smallest Runic Dungeons portal),
Make the Runic Dungeons wand, and create a portal.
Happy Looting.
(if you come to a wither room, your looting is over... unless you are going to cheat to win - which I don't condone)

If you aren't playing in peaceful, do as mentioned above, but take all the loot you can from villages that will help you gear up (better armour/ingots for better armour, etc.) and then do the same.

Although it is just your general loot chests. Having access to a lot of the stuff they can give early on is a godsend :)

Reactions: erindalc

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so most of the passive power generation is disabled(in expert?)... except for the Immersive Engineering options for it?

Why allow Immersive Engineering's versions of the waterwheel and windmill, along with the Thermoelectric Generator, but no passive power from any other mod?

Also the expert mode recipe for the regular Dolly is ridiculous considering you can't use it to move around anything interesting. It's a pure convenience item, so why make it cost 4 diamonds and force you through like 5 different crafting steps?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so most of the passive power generation is disabled... except for the Immersive Engineering options for it?

Why allow Immersive Engineering's versions of the waterwheel and windmill, along with the Thermoelectric Generator, but no passive power from any other mod?
Favouritism/Bias?
Or maybe because IE is new, so many people may not have used it before

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Okay so most of the passive power generation is disabled(in expert?)... except for the Immersive Engineering options for it?

Also the expert mode recipe for the regular Dolly is ridiculous considering you can't use it to move around anything interesting. It's a pure convenience item, so why make it cost 4 diamonds and force you through like 5 different crafting steps?
Thermoelectric Generator is op too which is why i'm surprised they left it in. And it is kind of still cheap considering you can get 4000 rf/t.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Thermoelectric Generator is op too which is why i'm surprised they left it in. And it is kind of still cheap considering you can get 4000 rf/t.
Wait, 4000? I looked up specs on it and it maxed out at 31 RF/t.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else been getting server-related lag in singleplayer (with expert mode, if that helps)?

Chunks not rendering, blocks/items dropping/being picked up a few seconds behind when you press Q/walk over them, taking damage a few seconds later than you should (e.g. touch cactus, walk away then take damage a few seconds later)

If it's not just me, are there any known fixes?

EDIT: Also, I seem to have issues exiting the nether (it either takes forever, or I have to actually exit the game and relauch), and the game occasionally stops responding.
It's only just started doing this recently (since I first visited the nether)

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Expert:
-Nerfed all TiC Traveller's Gear.
*looks at the new recipes*

...do the devs even know how this gear works?
The wings are armor. Not a bauble. THERE IS NO REASON TO USE THEM IF YOU HAVE A SASH ALREADY. Upgraded, you can get slowfall. That's it. There are a few situations where slowfall is useful I suppose, but in that case you should just get dark steel armor and a glider. It'd be CHEAPER, even. Oh, and hey, you can make the Openblocks glider with just leather and sticks.
The belt gives a single extra hotbar, in a modpack that has no inventory issues. So it's not a powerful item, yet it costs a reinforced strongbox?!
The vest and boots could potentially be useful if you upgrade them? The recipes for them aren't too bad considering that. I'm not sure I'd use traveler's boots over boots of the traveler, considering you can't enchant the tcon boots.

Overall, the tcon armor kinda sucks and these recipes are absolutely ridiculous when you take that into account. A full suit of it is not vastly superior to the effects of Boots of the Traveler or a Soujourner's Sash, and so you're better off wearing enchanted gear instead.

Expert Mode seems to be more about spiteful grinding than cross-mod recipes, I'm finding. Some things are excessively restricted while other similar items are easily obtained. Immersive Engineering in particular seems to be untouched and unconnected with any other mod, aside from treated wood for making the forge hammer(and other things), and enderium for the termoelectric generator.

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
Expert:
-Nerfed all TiC Traveller's Gear.
*looks at the new recipes*

...do the devs even know how this gear works?
The wings are armor. Not a bauble. THERE IS NO REASON TO USE THEM IF YOU HAVE A SASH ALREADY. Upgraded, you can get slowfall. That's it. There are a few situations where slowfall is useful I suppose, but in that case you should just get dark steel armor and a glider. It'd be CHEAPER, even. Oh, and hey, you can make the Openblocks glider with just leather and sticks.
The belt gives a single extra hotbar, in a modpack that has no inventory issues. So it's not a powerful item, yet it costs a reinforced strongbox?!
The vest and boots could potentially be useful if you upgrade them? The recipes for them aren't too bad considering that. I'm not sure I'd use traveler's boots over boots of the traveler, considering you can't enchant the tcon boots.

Overall, the tcon armor kinda sucks and these recipes are absolutely ridiculous when you take that into account. A full suit of it is not vastly superior to the effects of Boots of the Traveler or a Soujourner's Sash, and so you're better off wearing enchanted gear instead.

Expert Mode seems to be more about spiteful grinding than cross-mod recipes, I'm finding. Some things are excessively restricted while other similar items are easily obtained. Immersive Engineering in particular seems to be untouched and unconnected with any other mod, aside from treated wood for making the forge hammer(and other things), and enderium for the termoelectric generator.

You are not far off with your guess. They are gating off things fairly unevenly sometimes. Thing to remember is they are trying to get you to use things other than FOTM setups. Hence why TE and EIO take a lot of time to unlock while IC2 and IE start off unrestricted. Similar with gear. Is it a good reason to do so? I'll let you decide. I'm mixed.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
While I like the idea of cross mod recipes. I have to say I don't care for the grind aspect of making something. For example, I get the wood plank nerf to encourage the use of the sawmill. What I don't get is making the sawmill so ridiculously expensive pain in the a*# to make it. I also didn't care for the fact that I can't make wood planks out any logs by just using the crafting table. At this point I regret setting up my server for people to use on expert mode. I've gotten nothing but complaints about it. So I'll probably reset the server and have everyone start over in normal mode.

I do have one question, in normal mode since it removes most of the cross mod recipes can I then remove mods like witchery and blood magic?