FTB - Curse Update

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I got one as well, but I also am registered on Curse for the Mojang forums.

I never thought that it could be FtB related. Wouldn't Curse need the FtB user list if it is?

Billybobjoey

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest concern(and only, really) is that everything is moving over to the curse client thing. I personally liked how simple the FTB launcher was, I know the Curse thing is sleek and all that(don't get me wrong, the curse thing is pretty cool.), but I personally preferred the FTB launcher. I guess it's personal preference.

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
As long as the Curse Client runs smoothly on any OS that the current FTB launcher does (specifically MacOS) by the time this is finalized, this sounds great to me.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question - will the Curse client pick up the previously touted features of the Launcher 3.0?

Basically, is it going to allow us to create our own mod packs quickly, without all that tedious mucking about in config-space?

Godleydemon

Jul 29, 2019
My serious question here is pretaining to server owners. I'm a back end Systems Administrator for a large Server Hosting company, we provide various different installations of FTB. Its extremely easy to download and setup the servers through feed-the-beast.com. What will happen now? All of my servers use linux debian 7 wheezy. If there is no native support for downloading the server files directly.. dear lord.. there goes almost half of your player base. Because almost all FTB servers run Linux, not that windows crap. So my question is. Will at least server files be provided as a pack download from the website, so it's just an apt-get away?

Steviej1801

Jul 29, 2019
I as well hope there will still be support for downloading the server files from a website.

.. there goes almost half of your player base.

It doesn't help anyone's case by making threats like this, same for the guy who says he and his two sons won't play anymore because it won't support his Linux system. Curse is a business, just like hosting companies are. The FTB team doesn't want the financial responsibility anymore so they've gone to Curse instead of, one possible potential, closing shop. It isn't feasible financially for Curse to develop a native client launcher for the <1% of people who would use a Linux launcher.

"Windows crap" might not be as efficient at completing certain tasks as Linux but it services a much, much broader audience. I don't really care which OS I use but if I was going to knowingly use an OS that doesn't have as much compatibility and user base as Windows does, I wouldn't throw a temper tantrum when I find out something I like to play isn't going to be supported...I would just use Windows like most everyone else does. Please don't misunderstand me though, I think diversity and competition bring out the best ideas! It's the attitude of "but it's inconveniencing me", the sense of entitlement, that has no place here.

Azagal73

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't help anyone's case by making threats like this, same for the guy who says he and his two sons won't play anymore because it won't support his Linux system. Curse is a business, just like hosting companies are. The FTB team doesn't want the financial responsibility anymore so they've gone to Curse instead of, one possible potential, closing shop. It isn't feasible financially for Curse to develop a native client launcher for the <1% of people who would use a Linux launcher.

The issue people have is that Slow has said, that "This means that the Curse Client will need to be able to offer similar functionality to what we have now.", and that functionality as many see it, is cross platform support. Linux, OS X and Windows, just like the Mojang launcher has.

Personally I use Linux and OS X but not Windows. I like having support for the OS' I use. I honestly don't care about Windows support, because it doesn't effect me, but the lack of the other operating systems does.

Granted I currently only use the FTB launcher to keep the packs updated and play them through MultiMC. I foresee in the future I'll be downloading the global configs (hopefully they'll still be available) and manually creating the packs I play, and moving away from FTB built packs.

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not specifically referring to concurrency or technical limitations, I'm talking about the ability to press a single button and have it update all of the mods for a modpack, like how all pack launchers work currently. Whether the downloads happen in parallel or in series isn't really important, as long as the client has the ability to actually update the modpack as a whole. The Curse client currently doesn't allow this kind of functionality unless you pay, and this is what I'm trying to clarify the workings of.

Perhaps you haven't gotten to answering my questions about the API, but I'm still wondering about that as well since it was one of the main selling points originally.

While I'm at it perhaps I should just throw this out there too, because I know there are people who are wondering but nobody seems to have asked. With LexManos also being hired, is part of Curse's aim to have their own modified version of Forge? I guess the concern people have is that CPW has quit the community, leaving Lex as essentially the sole developer of Forge, who is now also working with Curse. I'm not entirely concerned since it's open-source and there's more than enough talent in the community to develop it further, but I figure we should just clear it up one way or the other.

I'll share API details when I have them. :)

And no Curse isn't buying Forge. Just as they didn't buy the Ace Project for WoW from me when they hired me or bought my website.

What i a wondering about is how support for severs will be.
All talk i see here is focussed around clients.
But what i really like about te FTB launher is that i could just click te download server button, plonk it on my Linux server and run it.

With te way curse works i'm not seeing this is going to be the same in that future.
I wouldn't like it if i had to build my own server from scratch every time there is an update.

We currently have a server API for bukkit plugins. Servers will be addressed in our plans as we work out the details. :)

How will this effect the ability of users to customize their mod list to suit their play-style or as in my case computers capabilities.
The current launcher makes it very easy to remove and add mods from different packs with most of the packs already including the configs for most or all of the mods, and it was my understanding the V2 launcher was going to make it even easier. A Build your own FTB pack option or something if I remember right.

And that type of end user functionality is still on the table. But official FTB mod packs, are still going to be up to the FTB team, not us. I do think that they, along with other exceptional packs that come out of the community, deserve to be featured.

Meaning the new launcher should be able to add and remove mods from different packs, at the very least.

And I haven't seen this anywhere official, but it seems to me as if Curse is trying to build a universal open pack creation system. Any mod going on CurseForge must give permission to be used in packs, which gives Curse the ability to allow users to easily create modpacks out of the mods on CurseForge. However, since it's me thinking that, and not me quoting someone else thinking that... I probably got something wrong :p

You're actually pretty spot on.

Reactions: Nerixel

Kaelten

Jul 29, 2019
Got spam e-mail for Curse Premium for the first time ever. Surely this is just a coincidence?
Completely coincidental. We don't have access to the web servers or even the forum control panel.
My serious question here is pretaining to server owners. I'm a back end Systems Administrator for a large Server Hosting company, we provide various different installations of FTB. Its extremely easy to download and setup the servers through feed-the-beast.com. What will happen now? All of my servers use linux debian 7 wheezy. If there is no native support for downloading the server files directly.. dear lord.. there goes almost half of your player base. Because almost all FTB servers run Linux, not that windows crap. So my question is. Will at least server files be provided as a pack download from the website, so it's just an apt-get away?

I've actually toyed around with the idea of proving an apt-repo. But as mentioned, we're still a long way from hammering out all the details. :)

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019

Whoa, whoa, whoa. No one is making any threats. Kaelten asked for reasons why they (Curse) should support Linux. My argument (based on my own personal experience) was that each Linux user might represent multiple Windows users. In other words, while the number of Linux users may be small, there might be a disproportionate effect on the total number players if they leave. I admitted I had no data to back this up, other than my anecdote.
Godleydemon has presented another ancedote to back that up (with a bit of hyperbole, maybe, but there is a distinct lack of hard data here, so who knows?).

And really this all comes down to money, right. Curse thinks they can make a buck of of this FTB thing. If supporting Linux isn't financially viable, I guess I get that on a certain level. I am merely pointing out two things:

1. It has been said that launcher functionality will only increase due to this deal. Dropping Linux and/or OSX makes that statement untrue, and makes the community skeptical, especially early in the relationship.

2. It may actually be in Curse's best interest to support Linux due to a hidden multiplier effect.

I am not having a temper tantrum. I do not feel entitled to FTB, the launcher, or anything. I am just bringing up two points for consideration by Curse and the community.

Reactions: Sal

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I'll share API details when I have them. :)
But as mentioned, we're still a long way from hammering out all the details.

I realize of course that the technical specifics of the API aren't going to be worked out, but surely you can tell us the basics, right? I ask because Slowpoke named a few terms that he would hold Curse to agree to in a prior post, and his post in this thread indicates that the negotiations are complete and the shaking of hands is done, so I think it's a fair question to ask how much of that made it into the final agreement.

And no Curse isn't buying Forge. Just as they didn't buy the Ace Project for WoW from me when they hired me or bought my website.

Well I'm not asking if Curse bought Forge, since that would be pretty impossible. I'm just asking if Curse aims to have a custom version, or similarly, if changes will be added to the primary Forge release to cooperate with Curse's new system.

And I feel like this is the third time I've asked, but we never got a concrete answer on whether modpacks will be distributed and updated as a whole, and not require premium to do so.

Reactions: Padfoote

Godleydemon

Jul 29, 2019
Completely coincidental. We don't have access to the web servers or even the forum control panel.

I've actually toyed around with the idea of proving an apt-repo. But as mentioned, we're still a long way from hammering out all the details. :)[/quote]
Thanks, provising a apt-repo will help out a lot in installing servers. Though I would really suggest just providing a download link for the zip. Alot of people who Host servers will use things like MulticraftCraft and GameCP to automatically provision the servers for quick setup time. We need to be able to put those files anywhere we like. In our setup, we have a script that just copies over all of the current files from a directory named Dire20 or Monster

Whoa, whoa, whoa. No one is making any threats. Kaelten asked for reasons why they (Curse) should support Linux. My argument (based on my own personal experience) was that each Linux user might represent multiple Windows users. In other words, while the number of Linux users may be small, there might be a disproportionate effect on the total number players if they leave. I admitted I had no data to back this up, other than my anecdote.
Godleydemon has presented another ancedote to back that up (with a bit of hyperbole, maybe, but there is a distinct lack of hard data here, so who knows?).

And really this all comes down to money, right. Curse thinks they can make a buck of of this FTB thing. If supporting Linux isn't financially viable, I guess I get that on a certain level. I am merely pointing out two things:

1. It has been said that launcher functionality will only increase due to this deal. Dropping Linux and/or OSX makes that statement untrue, and makes the community skeptical, especially early in the relationship.

2. It may actually be in Curse's best interest to support Linux due to a hidden multiplier effect.

I am not having a temper tantrum. I do not feel entitled to FTB, the launcher, or anything. I am just bringing up two points for consideration by Curse and the community.
Honestly when I wrote that, it came right after a stint of staying up 24 hours working on two backend systems we had to move from one EU company to another. Of course it gave me hell and I ended up having to completely start over from scratch.. twice, lol. But the fact of the matter stands, most people who operate servers, even if they don't know it. Are running on a linux backend. So even though the amount of users who download through linux are small, they generally service more people who DO use windows and other OS's. So if theirs no linux support for downloading the files needed to create the servers, I was just making a point, most of your Windows users will disappear over a couple months time. Because without the servers there, people don't really want to play, unless its with there friends. Its not really a threat, its more of just providing more information to the cause. Being I'm a server provider, I think I have pretty good experience on the backend of a hosting company.

I also happen to know a few other owners who operate Hosting companies, and they all use a linux backend as well. So, theirs as much information as I can really provide in giving at least some type of reason for at least a linux server provision from Curse.

Now theirs two problems with this I can see almost immediately. Without providing a secure way of downloading the server packages, someone could just make a custom client and download the packs zip files and unpack them and launch the server without even touching the curse client. You guys have yourself in one heck of a pickle here in trying to figure this out.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm not asking if Curse bought Forge, since that would be pretty impossible. I'm just asking if Curse aims to have a custom version, or similarly, if changes will be added to the primary Forge release to cooperate with Curse's new system.

And I feel like this is the third time I've asked, but we never got a concrete answer on whether modpacks will be distributed and updated as a whole, and not require premium to do so.

I'll give a stab at answering this and @Kaelten can correct me if I am wrong.

• Version 1 of any pack will be downloaded as a whole.
  • Updates to that pack 1.0.1, 2.1.0 etc would come in one of the following ways depending on what it takes to implement
  1. A patch file with just the 5-6 mods and configs being updated.
  2. If you have downloaded other packs that already have the new mod versions in them the client would copy those over to the modpack that needs them as opposed to re-downloading and would only download the mods you didn't already have. For example Blood n Bones, Magic Farm 2 and Agrarian Skies use a lot of the same mods with different config tweaks. It would not make sense to re-download mods already present on your computer if the client could just download the configs and copy the mod you have.
It would not make much sense to have a pack update of 20-30 mods being downloaded 1 at a time. However it would make much more sense if we stopped re-shipping mods and configs you already have installed.

Meaning the new launcher should be able to add and remove mods from different packs, at the very least.

And I haven't seen this anywhere official, but it seems to me as if Curse is trying to build a universal open pack creation system. Any mod going on CurseForge must give permission to be used in packs, which gives Curse the ability to allow users to easily create modpacks out of the mods on CurseForge. However, since it's me thinking that, and not me quoting someone else thinking that... I probably got something wrong :p

You're actually pretty spot on.

@Kaelten This sounds a lot like you are saying that to use Curse.com to distribute mods the author has to ok everyone using it. I was under the impression that there would be a way for mod authors to check off either:

• Everyone can use
  • People can use if pack is distributed through the Curse client
  • Specific packs/creators can use. - There are several custom mods made to work only in 1 or 2 packs. Magic Farm for example has used 3 mods that were custom made to work with only the mods in that pack and those mods were not even available for download outside the pack.
  • Not allowed to be used/ incompatible with "mod xyz"
While yes the community will jump up and down for joy and I hope as many authors as possible are willing to give full use permissions , saying that an author has to give full use permissions to upload to Curse.com is going to cause issues for those custom mods and packs. I would have to move Magic Farm 2 and Agrarian Skies to a different launcher to keep them updated. Blood n Bones by @Eyamaz might also have to be moved. A lot of the really great unique packs rely on mods that are made for those packs and don't work well if at all outside those packs. Beyond that some mod authors have very real concerns about cross mod issues.

Regardless of personal preference for open use there are valid reasons for some mods not providing blanket use permissions. Forcing the authors to give blanket permissions or not be used in packs will greatly reduce the number of mods I and @Eyamaz have available for creating packs. Modders don't like to be forced any more than anyone else. If I am misunderstanding you comment , I am sorry.

As I understand it. At the very least there will be a one click file download for Linux users. All the client will be doing for Windows and Mac is installing that file in your minecraft folder. I have yet to see a Linux user (who wasn't a kid pretending they were smart) who couldn't move a file to the correct location :p . Hopefully there will be a better option its just may not be a full fledged pretty client with nifty graphics.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The current FTB launcher is like this. We started with 2 devs. One had to go for a while. Another dev stepped in. Then one of the devs had to move out and the old one came back. Then both original devs had to stop due to real life , this was right after the 1.6 update. 2 other devs stepped in but they have their own rather large projects and cannot devote a large amount of time to adding features or anything more than bug fixes. The code is patched together from 3-6 devs at this point and any new dev has to figure out all the code and patches and make their code fit while going "wtf does this line do?" and "why on earth would they do that this way?" . Finding a dev that can afford to stay around and rewrite/update the launcher as a volunteer is proving improbable.

This partnership allows us to hopefully do a lot of things we are having trouble doing now. Slowpoke wanted a way to distribute a map and pack. He wanted to provide a way for the community to supply custom packs as well. Eyamaz and I love creating unique and unusual packs and map challenges. Everyone on the FTB team wants the community to have access to the best selection of mods and packs they can get. There are good people on all 3 launcher teams, we all have our strengths. On the FTB team when it comes to packs - Slow's strength is public relations and maps and general use packs, Eyamaz is Hardcore Adventure, Jvm/Java and balance, mine is mod dev relationships/testing , texture packs, and weird packs/maps. We have web designers, moderators etc. We don't currently have people who can dedicate the time and knowledge to upgrading the launcher. Curse lets us put the part that has been holding us back and delaying us in the hands of people who are paid to do the job. This leaves us volunteers to go back to what we love doing. Making maps and packs for y'all to play (and die on <.< ) .

Of course it has the potential to blow up in our faces. Everything in life worth doing has risks. Hang back and see how it goes. I promise if needed I will track @Kaelten down and bop him. Slow will do the British growling thing but I will go full on Texan on him if I have to. Especially if he starts messing with my babies :p

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
. Of course it has the potential to blow up in our faces. Everything in life worth doing has risks. Hang back and see how it goes. I promise if needed I will track @Kaelten down and bop him. Slow will do the British growling thing but I will go full on Texan on him if I have to. Especially if he starts messing with my babies :p
I chuckled at this part

Reactions: Padfoote and Flipz