Best mining method?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, everybody disregards the arcane bore as a serious mining tool. Even though it has silk touch automining cabilities. Something that no other miner can do.

Typical experience of an arcane bore user:
"Ooooh, cool las0rs!"
"Oh my, that thing is FAST!"
"Oh what's that cute floating thingy?"
"Oh, nice, you have a little brother!"
"Oh, there's a whole family of you! How cu...ouch!"
"Hey! Stop that!"
"HEY..STO..AARGHH"
"MY FACE...IT'S MELTING.......AAAAARGH"

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Typical experience of an arcane bore user:
"Ooooh, cool las0rs!"
"Oh my, that thing is FAST!"
"Oh what's that cute floating thingy?"
"Oh, nice, you have a little brother!"
"Oh, there's a whole family of you! How cu...ouch!"
"Hey! Stop that!"
"HEY..STO..AARGHH"
"MY FACE...IT'S MELTING.......AAAAARGH"
Or alternatively:
"Oooooh lasers!"
"Dayumn that's fast."
"OH SHIT WISP. EAT RAILGUN, BITCH -pew pew-"

Sent from my phone using black magic

StreetKing

Jul 29, 2019
Unless there's a way to stabilize the flux level while the arcane bore is running, it will stay as the worst automated mining machine (at least for me).

Reactions: Chocorate

Brewster1972

Jul 29, 2019
I just grab my backpacks (miner, builder, digger, thaumcraft) and a few picks and hit the caves. With a builders backpack full of torches and set to resupply, you can light up caves for days without fumbling around with your inventory.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
People judging turtles by their default scripts 100% miss the damn point of turtles.

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/ x 1 turtle faster fully powered BC quarry at getting low level mats than anything else.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/ x 4 turtles faster fully powered BC quarry. Period.

Turtles are only as good as you make them.
When that script was written, that was certainly true. Quarries have had the speed limit lifted now though - I seriously doubt that it's faster than a quarry being given 100MJ/t.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
When that script was written, that was certainly true. Quarries have had the speed limit lifted now though - I seriously doubt that it's faster than a quarry being given 100MJ/t.
4 turtles are extremely likely to be faster than a quarry especially with an optimized program and swarming as well. IIRC a 100MJ/t quarry mines 6 blocks a second. but it has to mine every block. 4 turtles should average out to be about 3 blocks a second if not more but they could mine ores + every second or third layer.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.5 without frames I have gone back to manual mining. Usually just cave now to get AE quartz. My kit is down to just the 9 items in my bar:
power glove - sword/bow/shovel
cobblestone - never know when you need to blocks
fortune 3 + repair 2 thaumium pick
torches
water bucket
silk touch + repair thaumium pick
enderpouch back to AE import chest
enderpouch back to supply chest at base (AE network supplies food, torches, blocks, and village tradables to this pouch)
Steak

Anytime i get full i can just open up the pouch and shift + space click my whole upper inventory back to base. Then i open my other pouch to pull out steak + torches as needed. AE ressupies and i continue on.

I saw an interesting post on a reddit that might be fun to try:
Wand of equal trade + flowers/saplings anything that won't plant on most things underground. Trade on a vein and you get the whole vein and the flowers fall as item entities. Trade on stone and you can reveal a lot of space quickly.

I have a fortune + charging wand, so I might give this a try :p

Reactions: Jess887cp and dlord

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
I give you…the Chunkinator.

IvUc6lw.jpg

256 block breakers. Can mine an entire chunk in 20 mins.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Reactions: ApSciLiara

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I give you…the Chunkinator.

-image snip-

256 block breakers. Can mine an entire chunk in 20 mins.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
I still don't see any automated silk touch mining.

Also your username makes me giggle immaturely.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't see any automated silk touch mining.

Also your username makes me giggle immaturely.
Who needs silk touch if you can just have this thing run overnight.

Also, dlord is my standard alias for dragonlord. The username was taken when I registered. :(

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Who needs silk touch if you can just have this thing run overnight.
People who want the Extra Things (TM) that GregTech gives you when you process your stuff using the Industrial Grinder.
Also, dlord is my standard alias for dragonlord. The username was taken when I registered. :(
dlord. D-lord. Lord of D. The Lord of D. You are the Lord of the D.
-snickers-

Reactions: dlord

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
People who want the Extra Things (TM) that GregTech gives you when you process your stuff using the Industrial Grinder.

dlord. D-lord. Lord of D. The Lord of D. You are the Lord of the D.
-snickers-

Like…him?

LordofD-SDDC-EN-C-1E.jpg

LOL

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Play nice, you two.

I was a dragonlord once. Then I took a minecraft to the gaming experience.

No seriously, there was a game that make you a dragonlord.

Lord of D.

-eye twitches-

SO HOW ABOUT THAT CHUNKINATOR!
I like if because it makes stuff look like chunk errors.
I hate it for the same reason.
Uh...scatter mining laser straight down? :D

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Silk touch without actually needing to mine: The 1.5.1 Minefactory Reloaded Mining laser outputs ore blocks for a few hundred MJ a tick.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Silk touch without actually needing to mine: The 1.5.1 Minefactory Reloaded Mining laser outputs ore blocks for a few hundred MJ a tick.
Ohhh yeah. I've seen that mentioned around the forums before. If I had the powergen to sustain something like that for a large period of time...
Liara would be one happy girl. Let's put it like that.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Get arcane bore, it has silktouch man.. All that blue shit ore from RP can be transformed in diamonds if silk touched.. Yeah.. I know, it's awesome.

(AAAAAND, silk touch is awesome because you can get even more from coal, lapis, gems.. etc.. with a macerator / pulverizer.

Of course, do this in a mystcraft age, STABLE PLEASE, you don't want to lose your arcane bore in the hands of meteorites, random explosions and other nasty stuff.

If you can't get a bore, just get a miner turtle, feed it with blaze rods and you're good to go. But start at 40 height.. Slow but awesome, (and even configurable if you tell it to drop such things as cobble and gravel you will be thankfull :p)

Reactions: ApSciLiara