Best mining method?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a 30 minute screenshoot and 60 minute screen shot. If anyone wants to see the ore volume for MFR laser drill:
uq9iVsG.png

iSd7blp.png

Seems to be random, but will a set probability/distribution.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Is it Certus Quartz Ore?! Oh my...
so it's like... Go to the server. Make a boiler and steam engines. Build this. Log off. Log back on the next day. PROFIT.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Think you want probably 3 HP boilers, but yes if you don't like caving/mining then MFR has you covered.

Except no TE ores yet...

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
... Okay. I'm going to dig out a hole from surface to bedrock, then fire the Laser Drill up over the hole. I shall call it my LiaraTec Deep Core Mineral Extractor.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I havn't tested. I'll grab a redstone energy cell and see what 100 MJ/t does.

So far it is producing. Just slower, so 144 would get you some stuff for sure.
Forgot to add the pic.

30 minutes at 100 MJ/t:
mzwybjr.png

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Oh man, the deep mining laser is going to be fucking EPIC.

All we need now is an end-game source of MJ. Something that puts out a couple hundred MJ without taking up an entire chunk of space would be nice.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

RedSnt

Jul 29, 2019
Feather mining does the trick for me. I'm trying to avoid Mystcraft ages because it's the reason I've lost like 3 or 4 worlds so far (SMP + BSOD = Fail). Hopefully this will get better after 1.4.7.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I understand the concept behind the mining laser.

Is it like an ore fabricator?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's interesting.

At any rate, this game needs more silktouch ore methods. I like this. More variety is always good.

Once Ultimate is updated to 1.5 or 1.6 or whatever they plan on doing I'll have to check it out. If it's good enough, I may just sack my BC quarry in favor of it.

Question: Is the lack of copper and tin in those SS because of a lack of a mod? The presence of the other mod ores is reassuring, but I want to make sure that this ore fabricatormabob is compatible with other mod ores.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
People judging turtles by their default scripts 100% miss the damn point of turtles.

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/ x 1 turtle faster fully powered BC quarry at getting low level mats than anything else.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7675-advanced-mining-turtle-ore-quarry/ x 4 turtles faster fully powered BC quarry. Period.

Turtles are only as good as you make them.

I recently started a SSP DW20. Still early game, I've made a few trips to the nether and located the 1st end portal. So far I only have some basic machines (2 geos, macerator, extractractor, electric furnace, pulverizer, allow furnace) and iron armor (jet pack & bat pack). This turtle program worked great. I actually ran it underground at about y50 and it quickly returned a bunch of materials. So I highly recommend this program.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I recently started a SSP DW20. Still early game, I've made a few trips to the nether and located the 1st end portal. So far I only have some basic machines (2 geos, macerator, extractractor, electric furnace, pulverizer, allow furnace) and iron armor (jet pack & bat pack). This turtle program worked great. I actually ran it underground at about y50 and it quickly returned a bunch of materials. So I highly recommend this program.
I took a look at that program. I really like the idea, but it makes me want to write my own program that is probably more efficient (i.e. a lower cobble-to-ore ratio of everything mined) using tiered 1x2 mineshafts...

Hmm...I think I'll write it tonight.

I don't know if it'll be any faster (the turtle will be turning left and right a LOT more often due to lack of detectRight() or detectLeft(), even if it is actually mining less), but you'll end up with less cobble/dirt junk in the end.

Maybe I could use two turtles to make the offset tiers easier...

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Wait? So the bore will return nether ores as well?
Does it just pick up everything in the ore-dict or are they specifically hard coded to find certain ore blocks?