Best mining method?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Learning is trivial compared to the time invested in actually coding. It shouldn't take someone more than an hour or two to learn to be able to sit for 12 hours and code a program in lua. Lua is a wonderfully simple language in that it's basically english for its syntax.

Well, just think. Someone approaching the topic is likely going to have the same amount of information as me. They're probably going to think that coding Lua is at least a moderate time commitment, and that they have to choose between that... and simply copying the code.

Or just not use the turtles.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well, just think. Someone approaching the topic is likely going to have the same amount of information as me. They're probably going to think that coding Lua is at least a moderate time commitment, and that they have to choose between that... and simply copying the code.

Or just not use the turtles.

I've done the same with countless languages I didn't know though. For example I saw a mod on another game coded in python. It was awesome. I wanted to learn python because of how awesome the mod was. So I did. I then proceeded to aid in the maintaining of a popular mod on that game. It's simply different mind sets.

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
Another really great way to mine is the mining laser (srsly? I'm the first to mention it?). Get yourself close to bedrock, set it to long-range, and point up. If you run into low lava block it off and try somewhere else, or if it's high enough build a quick catch for it so it's not a mess. If you have the resources for a quarry, you probably have the resources for a mining laser and plenty of EU. I sometimes like this method because it's fast and it's something I'm doing personally, because sometimes letting a machine do the work for you just isn't what you're after. Well it's probably somewhere in the middle, actually.

A really great supplement to mining by hand is wands. A wand of excavation for accross-the-ravine mining, and a wand of equal trade for ore nodes. Make sure to bring tons of grass/ferns and replace the ore with those blocks, since it'll get everything instead of just surface blocks. Go ahead and start off with a handful of each wand and try enchanting them all. Once you get a repair (or is it charging?) wand, the rest that aren't repair will just be the first ones you use up and the repair wand is the last one you need to make, if you keep it out of lava.

I really like the Steve's Carts mining cart. If fully upgraded it makes a MASSIVE tunnel with a track running down the middle of it. With a little attention you can guide it to make tunnels that turn, change elevation, and do other things that in the end give you a network of awesome subterranean tunnels connecting caves and such, already set up with a railway, a lot like mining tunnels found in the world. Yeah, you can do something like that with turtles too, and both involve a learning curve, and both give you a real sense of accomplishment when you pull it off well. I vote for the cart because I have more fun doing it. YMMV

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I just like manual because I enjoy caving but if I need a ton of resourses (mostly the basic blocks) for a larger project I go quarry but I only will do one ocasionaly.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
60x6 Frame Tunnel Bore. It can't be beat, the secret to making it work without break downs is 2 chunk loaders, 1 being moved when the frames aren't. XYCraft Ice and Water blocks around the outside keep out lava or water, even when it travels through an ocean or a RP2 volcano.

Been running 24/7 without stop for over 30000 blocks. My other secret is a wireless control system and a light sensor back at my base. Keeps the bore motors from running at night or rain, so it doesn't run out of power and kill the retriever pulling batteries on the TBM enderchest side.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
...I miss that feature in 1.5.1. Now they just emit something like nether portal particles, except green. Fucking wimps ruining my trolling/griefing ideas.
They actually still can kill you. We've proven that... repeatedly, on Resonant Rise. See: every time that Dave or WoT's suffered from radiation poisoning on their YouTube channels.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
They actually still can kill you. We've proven that... repeatedly, on Resonant Rise. See: every time that Dave or WoT's suffered from radiation poisoning on their YouTube channels.
Really? I suppose I'll have to build a box out of them and test this. I nab'd the first updated Atomic Science which worked with IC2 again and haven't updated since. Maybe it's been re-added? Regardless, I need to sleep. Or head to Pizza Hut. Or maybe Taco Bell. Maybe the Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Learning is trivial compared to the time invested in actually coding. It shouldn't take someone more than an hour or two to learn to be able to sit for 12 hours and code a program in lua. Lua is a wonderfully simple language in that it's basically english for its syntax.

See that right there is the problem for me, that doesn't sound like a game, it sounds like a job. If I was somehow motivated enough to do 12 hours of minecraft related coding I'd rather put that time into making a mod than making a turtle do what other things (quarries, frame bores, arcane bores) can already do.

Each to their own though of course.[DOUBLEPOST=1367905662][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not that subjective. You either want it done fast or you want it done in some super awesome funtime way. Fast = 4 turtles using the proper script. Fun is whatever you like and you wouldn't be asking a question like 'what is best'. Best in terms of speed has been stated.

To play devil's advocate, I've not seen 4 optimally scripted turtles in action but would argue Beserkenstein1's frame mining rig is quicker so if speed is your only qualifier for what is best that may be better.

Speed is the only thing you measure when considering what is best, it is not the only thing I'd consider(set up time, required mod knowledge, required out of game learning time (valid when talking about the proper script)) so to come full circle, best is subjective.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
To play devil's advocate, I've not seen 4 optimally scripted turtles in action but would argue Beserkenstein1's frame mining rig is quicker so if speed is your only qualifier for what is best that may be better.

Speed is the only thing you measure when considering what is best, it is not the only thing I'd consider(set up time, required mod knowledge, required out of game learning time (valid when talking about the proper script)) so to come full circle, best is subjective.
You can watch 64 turtles running together :p
http://www.computercraft.info/forum...urtle-swarm-quarry-v03-and-mastermodule-apis/

But that's not early-game solution. Ender chests are expensive.

Reactions: brujon