Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I just made an AEJ (Advanced Electric Jetpack) and it can be recharged using the MEI, which I have, but it's only being powered by 3 solar panels. Because of this, the AEJ takes FOREVER to recharge, and it sucks all the power away from my machines. Obviously, it's time for an upgrade but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I have a lot of space to lay out a solar field, but I plan on living underground in a huge cavern like AnderZel and Etho have done, so I'm not sure solar power is the best option for me.

The answer to this question depends on the modpack you use.

Reactions: Whovian
Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know where I can get a version of Voxel Map for 1.4.7 that is compatible with Forge so that I can install it into FTB without needing LiteLoader? I'm using OptiFine, so I'd really rather not use LiteLoader in my FTB pack if at all possible, as the two are in conflict quite a bit. LiteLoader also seems to break the sound effects that Twilight Forest mobs make.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
I just made an AEJ (Advanced Electric Jetpack) and it can be recharged using the MEI, which I have, but it's only being powered by 3 solar panels. Because of this, the AEJ takes FOREVER to recharge, and it sucks all the power away from my machines. Obviously, it's time for an upgrade but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I have a lot of space to lay out a solar field, but I plan on living underground in a huge cavern like AnderZel and Etho have done, so I'm not sure solar power is the best option for me.
It's fairly easy to automate watermills using a deployer to fill buckets which you can then send through the mills and pull out the empty ones for 1 mj/t per watermill.
Seeing as you watch Mindcrack, i'll show you a Vintagebeef video where he makes one of these (although his design can be improved upon):
He starts around the nine-minute mark.

Reactions: WAFFLE OF WAR

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I build a complex system to turn of the steam engines when the redstone energiecells are full and no power is needed. But now i am thinking if if would make a difference when i leave the steam engines on the whole time.
Unless you are using a very small lowpressure boiler, why bother turning off the machines at all? Since you're charging RECs with it, I suppose you are using conduits to connect to the RECs. Those do take care of any excess energy and will prevent your engines from (ever) overheating. Why I talk about a "very small lpb" is the time it takes to actually heat up anything larger than a 2x2/8LP boiler. Fuel-wise it's more often than not better to leave the boiler running at all times (the bigger the boiler, the more important this becomes) than to let it cool down and re-heat it, when you need the steam to charge another REC. Iirc, the steam the boiler produces can be stored within tanks - so that would be another option to "keep steam" at hand.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you are using a very small lowpressure boiler, why bother turning off the machines at all? Since you're charging RECs with it, I suppose you are using conduits to connect to the RECs. Those do take care of any excess energy and will prevent your engines from (ever) overheating. Why I talk about a "very small lpb" is the time it takes to actually heat up anything larger than a 2x2/8LP boiler. Fuel-wise it's more often than not better to leave the boiler running at all times (the bigger the boiler, the more important this becomes) than to let it cool down and re-heat it, when you need the steam to charge another REC. Iirc, the steam the boiler produces can be stored within tanks - so that would be another option to "keep steam" at hand.
Yep, steam can go in tanks. Always bothered me really, shouldn't it condense back into water without a heat source?

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to stop redwoods from destroying everything that their leaves grow into? I made the mistake of setting up my planter+harvester right next to the plant that processes the wood and saplings into steam, and while I can live with just not being able to put up a pretty wall next to it, it's periodically taking chunks out of my boiler and/or eating machinery. It would certainly be possible to move the planter+harvester elsewhere, but setting up tesseracts/enderchests to make that work will require ender pearls I don't currently have, not to mention effort and hassle I'd rather avoid.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It's fairly easy to automate watermills using a deployer to fill buckets which you can then send through the mills and pull out the empty ones for 1 mj/t per watermill.
Seeing as you watch Mindcrack, i'll show you a Vintagebeef video where he makes one of these (although his design can be improved upon):

Oh... my... I just hand this idea. I wonder if the new XYcraft tank IO blocks could be setup to run a watermill?

Hmmm TO THE TEST WORLD!!!!!!

Reactions: tehBlobLord

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best mob to farm for XP? I know Blaze have the highest XP drop for a non-boss mob, but I would also like items too. I was thinking skeletons, but I'm unsure. I wanted to capture them with soul shards and use that cage thing to make my spawner, so spawn rate won't really be an issue, just the mob would have to be rather a common commodity in either the over-world of the Twilight Forest.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best mob to farm for XP? I know Blaze have the highest XP drop for a non-boss mob, but I would also like items too. I was thinking skeletons, but I'm unsure. I wanted to capture them with soul shards and use that cage thing to make my spawner, so spawn rate won't really be an issue, just the mob would have to be rather a common commodity in either the over-world of the Twilight Forest.
Which pack do you play?

In a pack with gregtech creeper spawner would be my choice as eventually you will need quite a bit of gunpowder to advance.

If no gregtech then zombies probably have the most useful bonus drops.

Jerome Asich

Jul 29, 2019
if it's solely for experience I highly recommend wither skeletons being killed with turtles. High exp, the setup is not difficult, and you get infinite wither skulls.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Which pack do you play?

In a pack with gregtech creeper spawner would be my choice as eventually you will need quite a bit of gunpowder to advance.

If no gregtech then zombies probably have the most useful bonus drops.
if it's solely for experience I highly recommend wither skeletons being killed with turtles. High exp, the setup is not difficult, and you get infinite wither skulls.
The pack is Ultimate, and skeletons drop Wither skulls??

Jerome Asich

Jul 29, 2019
The pack is Ultimate, and skeletons drop Wither skulls??
only if killed by a turtle or player. so drop them down into water that flows into a central area with melee turtles on 3 sides, constantly attacking, and you've got an EXP/wither skull farm.[DOUBLEPOST=1364602123][/DOUBLEPOST]Not sure what the code would be, but it's basically attack, deposit inv. behind (into a chest or something) attack.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
WITHER Skellys drop Wither Skulls, not normal ones. They also have some of the nicest drops in the game. They drop Coal. Yeah, Wither Skeleton spawners turn Coal into a renewable resource. It's a fairly common drop rate as well. They also drop Bones, same as Skeleton. Their not-so-rare drop, Stone Sword, is utter shit, though, and will need to get voided. Best way to go about it is to set a system where instead of saying which items you want to filter out, set up a system in which you say which items get filtered in, and everything else heads towards a void pipe. It's only 4 drops so it's trivial. Coal is extremely useful, as all of you know. For a lot of things. Wither Skeleton Spawner? Definitely a nice thing to have.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
WITHER Skellys drop Wither Skulls, not normal ones. They also have some of the nicest drops in the game. They drop Coal. Yeah, Wither Skeleton spawners turn Coal into a renewable resource. It's a fairly common drop rate as well. They also drop Bones, same as Skeleton. Their not-so-rare drop, Stone Sword, is utter shit, though, and will need to get voided. Best way to go about it is to set a system where instead of saying which items you want to filter out, set up a system in which you say which items get filtered in, and everything else heads towards a void pipe. It's only 4 drops so it's trivial. Coal is extremely useful, as all of you know. For a lot of things. Wither Skeleton Spawner? Definitely a nice thing to have.
The down side of making a Wither Skelly spawner is that they have really rare spawn rates, and it takes about a 1000 kills or so to get the tier 5 soul shard for anything. If you've got that kind of time, good luck to you, but that would take a very long time.

Also, If a Stirling engine is flashing green, is it about to blow?

Jerome Asich

Jul 29, 2019
The down side of making a Wither Skelly spawner is that they have really rare spawn rates, and it takes about a 1000 kills or so to get the tier 5 soul shard for anything. If you've got that kind of time, good luck to you, but that would take a very long time.
or you could go to the nether with a jetpack, fill a soul shard with blazes, get it to tier 5, and transmute it with a wither shard with one kill in it into a t5 wither shard. You can do that with anvils.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
or you could go to the nether with a jetpack, fill a soul shard with blazes, get it to tier 5, and transmute it with a wither shard with one kill in it into a t5 wither shard. You can do that with anvils.
This soul shard stuff, regardless of the mob you wanna use, is very very time heavy.[DOUBLEPOST=1364603839][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there a fast way to get grass to grow? Or will bonemeal spawn grass when you use it?

Jerome Asich

Jul 29, 2019
This soul shard stuff, regardless of the mob you wanna use, is very very time heavy.[DOUBLEPOST=1364603839][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there a fast way to get grass to grow? Or will bonemeal spawn grass when you use it?
Bonemeal will not turn dirt to grass. if you have silk touch, go dig a bunch up. You can get it on a vajra or multitool if you have a book. the grass spreads relatively quick on it's own if it has enough light.