Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Bonemeal will not turn dirt to grass. if you have silk touch, go dig a bunch up. You can get it on a vajra or multitool if you have a book. the grass spreads relatively quick on it's own if it has enough light.
And if I don't have silk touch... I have to do a lame "grass stairwell"?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
You can use a Portal Gun to move the block directly. Or a Gravity Gun, that works as well. Your other options are use pistons to move it to where you want it moved, and ofc, the Silk Touch enchantment. There's also a UU Matter recipe for Grass Blocks IIRC.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
You can use a Portal Gun to move the block directly. Or a Gravity Gun, that works as well. Your other options are use pistons to move it to where you want it moved, and ofc, the Silk Touch enchantment. There's also a UU Matter recipe for Grass Blocks IIRC.
GENIOUS! I can do that, thanks.

Jerome Asich

Jul 29, 2019
Do levels effect the strength of the enchantment you get?
Yes. For example, it is impossible to get anything better than unbreaking II and efficiency II with a level 1 enchantment on a pick. At level 20, you should be able to get, say, efficiency III, unbreaking II, fortune II, and at 30, efficiency IV, unbreaking III, fortune III.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. For example, it is impossible to get anything better than unbreaking II and efficiency II with a level 1 enchantment on a pick. At level 20, you should be able to get, say, efficiency III, unbreaking II, fortune II, and at 30, efficiency IV, unbreaking III, fortune III.
Alright, thanks.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a backpack that doesn't hold a specific group of item, like a general purpose backpack or something like it. Also, I found what looks to be an enchanted bee... wut?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Or a canvas bag. 30 items, no config editing.

Though they should just triple the price of the backpack and let it upgrade to hold 45 slots of anything and everything.[DOUBLEPOST=1364613547][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, does anyone know of a thread where people post the specs of their computers? I'm going to make one and I wanted to see what other people have so I don't go over/underboard.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but the Adventurer's Backpack has the advantage that you can configure it to automatically pick up certain kinds of items, which you choose. This is extremely useful... Let's say that, for instance, you for some reason tend to keep misplacing your tools. Every time. Every single time, you end up misplacing them... The backpack can hold them, and if you accidentally drop the tool, it will end up always inside of that backpack. Which is very handy. Or let's say for instance you add mods that add a lot of new creatures, with special drops. You can configure the backpack to collect all those special drops, that way, when you go monster hunting, all your loot will be neatly arranged in a backpack. Which is always nice.

Canvas Bags are portable inventories. Backpacks are more utility than anything else. For instance, i play with Ars Magica, and it adds tons of new mobs, and also a lot of specific items, as well as some ores. I can configure the backpack to accept everything from that mod, and that helps a lot with inventory management, whereas Canvas Bags are more like portable chests that you can use when you're doing big projects that require a lot of redstone, paints, etc...

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone happen to have links to a Direwolf20-esque mining well system that doesn't use computercraft at all? (I'm talking Redpower blockbreakers and deployers). Right now I'm trying to set one up and getting stumped.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Also, If a Stirling engine is flashing green, is it about to blow?
No, not even close.
Blue is cold, green is warm, yellow/orange is hot, and red is in danger of exploding.
Specifically, those correspond to 0-25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, and 75-100% of the engine's internal MJ buffer filled, respectively.
So don't be too worried until the engine turns yellow constantly, and doesn't flash. However, even flashing yellow/red (as redstone engines do) won't explode until whatever they're powering stops accepting power.

Flashing engines are hovering between two color levels, and will continue hovering there until something not entirely the engine's fault changes- either the engine runs out of fuel, or whatever the engine powers stops accepting power, or another engine powering it turns on, warms up, or runs out of fuel...

In any case, redstone energy conduits will never stop accepting power, so the only way to blow up a stirling on those is to go overkill with daisy-chaining (i.e. five industrial steam engines powering one stirling could be a problem).

Also note that no engines other than stirling and combustion can possibly explode. Ever. Except maybe Redstone engines, if you do something terribly wrong, but even then it's a very small explosion, from what I've heard. I do believe that you've been working on setting up a tree farm/biomass/biofuel production facility, so biogas engines would be a good choice. Just supply biomass and a little lava, and you've got yourself an engine that's almost as powerful as a combustion engine (5 MJ/t as opposed to 6 for combustion, or stirling's 1) that has no risk of explosion.

Edit:
Does anyone happen to have links to a Direwolf20-esque mining well system that doesn't use computercraft at all? (I'm talking Redpower blockbreakers and deployers). Right now I'm trying to set one up and getting stumped.
Not I... although Direwolf did mention somewhere that someone had built such a setup... Apparantly, the mining wells were not connected to the frames, and when the frames moved, the breakers were suddenly in position to break the wells. Good luck not sucking the wells into your sorting system, though, as they will most likely deposit stuff into the deployers. You might be able to do something with routers, and turn them off during deploying.

However, CPW did say in a recent Direwolf SMP video that he would be making mining wells moveable in the near future. Probably 1.5, methinks...

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a portal/gravity gun, if you pick up a grass block, and place it down where a flower is, it'll drop a grass block.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
No, not even close.
Blue is cold, green is warm, yellow/orange is hot, and red is in danger of exploding.
Specifically, those correspond to 0-25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, and 75-100% of the engine's internal MJ buffer filled, respectively.
So don't be too worried until the engine turns yellow constantly, and doesn't flash. However, even flashing yellow/red (as redstone engines do) won't explode until whatever they're powering stops accepting power.

Flashing engines are hovering between two color levels, and will continue hovering there until something not entirely the engine's fault changes- either the engine runs out of fuel, or whatever the engine powers stops accepting power, or another engine powering it turns on, warms up, or runs out of fuel...

In any case, redstone energy conduits will never stop accepting power, so the only way to blow up a stirling on those is to go overkill with daisy-chaining (i.e. five industrial steam engines powering one stirling could be a problem).

Also note that no engines other than stirling and combustion can possibly explode. Ever. Except maybe Redstone engines, if you do something terribly wrong, but even then it's a very small explosion, from what I've heard. I do believe that you've been working on setting up a tree farm/biomass/biofuel production facility, so biogas engines would be a good choice. Just supply biomass and a little lava, and you've got yourself an engine that's almost as powerful as a combustion engine (5 MJ/t as opposed to 6 for combustion, or stirling's 1) that has no risk of explosion.
Oh, that's great! I only wish I could run my biomass operation full time, I can't now because I use apple juice and I don't get enough apples to sustain it for more than one use at a time.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, that's great! I only wish I could run my biomass operation full time, I can't now because I use apple juice and I don't get enough apples to sustain it for more than one use at a time.

You could always set up a switch to go between apple juice and water. Or use 2 fermenters, one for apple juice and one for water.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
This soul shard stuff, regardless of the mob you wanna use, is very very time heavy.[DOUBLEPOST=1364603839][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there a fast way to get grass to grow? Or will bonemeal spawn grass when you use it?
You can also make grass blocks with UU-matter or a philosopher's stone (which can't be obtained legitimately IIRC).

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
You could always set up a switch to go between apple juice and water. Or use 2 fermenters, one for apple juice and one for water.
A switch? I don't remember off hand how exactly this all works, so it's hard to visualize.[DOUBLEPOST=1364653201][/DOUBLEPOST]If I move a monster spawner with my Portal gun, will it effect it's rates or anything like that? Also, is there a way to have mobs spawning at all times, and not just when I'm within range?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Have two fermenters, one dedicated to juice, one dedicated to water. Pump the saplings so that they enter the juice fermenter first, and that any saplings that this one can't process will "overflow" to the water fermenter.

Voila, two liquids at once.

Reactions: un worry