Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
A switch? I don't remember off hand how exactly this all works, so it's hard to visualize.[DOUBLEPOST=1364653201][/DOUBLEPOST]If I move a monster spawner with my Portal gun, will it effect it's rates or anything like that? Also, is there a way to have mobs spawning at all times, and not just when I'm within range?
1) Nope
2) A level 5 soul shard will always spawn mobs when loaded, not just if there is a player within 16 blocks but be careful because it lags.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
1) Nope
2) A level 5 soul shard will always spawn mobs when loaded, not just if there is a player within 16 blocks but be careful because it lags.
Drat. That's a lot of work. I'm really confused on this whole monster spawning thing. Just the normal spawners. If the mobs are outside of a 17x17 block area of the spawner, the spawner will continuously spawn monsters. So why do traps that I've seen keep them so close to the spawner?[DOUBLEPOST=1364655981][/DOUBLEPOST]
Have two fermenters, one dedicated to juice, one dedicated to water. Pump the saplings so that they enter the juice fermenter first, and that any saplings that this one can't process will "overflow" to the water fermenter.

Voila, two liquids at once.
Have two fermenters, one dedicated to juice, one dedicated to water. Pump the saplings so that they enter the juice fermenter first, and that any saplings that this one can't process will "overflow" to the water fermenter.

Voila, two liquids at once.
With the set up that I have now, every face on my fermenter is occupied by either a pipe or an engine. I tried to pump out access sapling as well, but all the sapling that the farm produces goes back into the Planters, and the overflow just get spat on the ground/

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
A switch? I don't remember off hand how exactly this all works, so it's hard to visualize.

I have an iron tank for apple juice, with a liquiduct set to output, there's an aqueous accumulator beside it and liquiducts coming from that, both go to the same fermenter. A cobblestone structure pipe with a gate on it beside a valve block in the tank detects whether there's apple juice in the tank. When there is, it sends a redstone signal to the apple juice liquiduct to turn output on, and also to the aqueous accumulator to turn it off (I have it set to be off when redstone signal received). What this actually does is switch between pipes lots of times whilst the apple juice liquiduct fills up, then switches properly to use apple juice until all the juice in the tank is gone, then it switches back to water. It's not an uber efficient system, but it works perfectly well, and I've observed it behaving the way I expect it to, switching between apple juice and water in the fermenter.

Reactions: un worry

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
The Soul Shards spawners don't stop spawning monster when there are already over X amount of monsters in an area around the spawner, like vanilla spawners do... Instead, it keeps spawning them until it's turned off (i believe this is the case only with the T4 and T5 spawners). This means that when you build your trap you have to make SURE that you have a way of turning it off, be it a redstone signal with T5 spawners, or a light source for every other spawners, or else if you for some reason can't keep up with the amount of mobs generated, it will lag and ultimately crash your game, and you will be forced to go into Peaceful to despawn the 500+ entities that are present in that small area.

It's pretty cool.

Reactions: tehBlobLord

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I have an iron tank for apple juice, with a liquiduct set to output, there's an aqueous accumulator beside it and liquiducts coming from that, both go to the same fermenter. A cobblestone structure pipe with a gate on it beside a valve block in the tank detects whether there's apple juice in the tank. When there is, it sends a redstone signal to the apple juice liquiduct to turn output on, and also to the aqueous accumulator to turn it off (I have it set to be off when redstone signal received). What this actually does is switch between pipes lots of times whilst the apple juice liquiduct fills up, then switches properly to use apple juice until all the juice in the tank is gone, then it switches back to water. It's not an uber efficient system, but it works perfectly well, and I've observed it behaving the way I expect it to, switching between apple juice and water in the fermenter.
That's essentially what I need. I don't really need efficiency, I just don't want to waste all the sapling my farm puts out when I could turning them into something useful. Your set up is a little hard to follow, because I haven't herd of half of these devices, but I hope you don't mind if I attempt to mimic your design. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1364656830][/DOUBLEPOST]
The Soul Shards spawners don't stop spawning monster when there are already over X amount of monsters in an area around the spawner, like vanilla spawners do... Instead, it keeps spawning them until it's turned off (i believe this is the case only with the T4 and T5 spawners). This means that when you build your trap you have to make SURE that you have a way of turning it off, be it a redstone signal with T5 spawners, or a light source for every other spawners, or else if you for some reason can't keep up with the amount of mobs generated, it will lag and ultimately crash your game, and you will be forced to go into Peaceful to despawn the 500+ entities that are present in that small area.

It's pretty cool.
The ONLY problem I have with these soul shards, is that they take ages to get to T5.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Combine them in an anvil. Cheaper, if you have surplus diamonds. Only ever need soul shards with 1 kill in them for this to work.

T1 + T1 = T2

T2 + T2 = T3

T3 + T3 = T4

T4 + T4 = T5.

16 total T1 Soulshards, will get ya a T5 of the type you want. That's the fastest way to get many of the mobs.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
That's essentially what I need. I don't really need efficiency, I just don't want to waste all the sapling my farm puts out when I could turning them into something useful. Your set up is a little hard to follow, because I haven't herd of half of these devices, but I hope you don't mind if I attempt to mimic your design. ;)

Go for it, I've seen posts on here where people have similar setups and even post pictures. That might help you a bit.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
The ONLY problem I have with these soul shards, is that they take ages to get to T5.
Enchant a Vile Sword. At level 30 you have a pretty good chance of getting Soul Stealer IV. Killing a monster with a sword like that counts for 5 kills as far as the soul shard is concerned. Suddenly 1024 kills becomes 205. It's also possible to get Soul Stealer V by combining enchants on an anvil for 6 souls per kill (171 kills for a t5 shard). Also, you can destroy spawners by right clicking with the appropriate soul shard to instantly get 200 souls. This is why so many people set up blaze farms: you really only need to find ~2 nether fortresses to get a t5 shard because there are so many spawners. Almost no mob grinding necessary.[DOUBLEPOST=1364657658][/DOUBLEPOST]
Combine them in an anvil. Cheaper, if you have surplus diamonds. Only ever need soul shards with 1 kill in them for this to work.

T1 + T1 = T2

T2 + T2 = T3

T3 + T3 = T4

T4 + T4 = T5.

16 total T1 Soulshards, will get ya a T5 of the type you want. That's the fastest way to get many of the mobs.

While this technically works, I'd encourage you to not use an obvious exploit.

Reactions: un worry

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
With the set up that I have now, every face on my fermenter is occupied by either a pipe or an engine. I tried to pump out access sapling as well, but all the sapling that the farm produces goes back into the Planters, and the overflow just get spat on the ground/

Here, I drew it up real quick for ya in my test world. It even looks like a fighter spaceship for bonus points!

Back view
Front view

And it actually still has the bottom face free on both fermenters. System also works if the mulch and sapling pipes are replaced by redpower tubes (in fact it works better since you save the diamond pipe on top and the items can't overflow).

If you stick with pipes and are worried about sapling overflow in the second fermenter you can place a diamond pipe there was well and continue the sapling pipe further on to a third fermenter or a storage chest.

And always remember: engineering is an art! ;)

Reactions: WAFFLE OF WAR

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
(Snip)
Actually the mod maker explicitly added in that capability for anvils. It's a temporary measure until they add in something to replace it (I believe this is the future purpose for Soul Crystals, which are currently unobtainable).
This was in the other thread "Where's the line between contraption and exploit". If it's true, then it means that it's not an exploit, and fair game. Personally, since you're effectively burning more diamonds then you'd normally need to in order to get the spawners going faster, i don't think that's so bad.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Here, I drew it up real quick for ya in my test world. It even looks like a fighter spaceship for bonus points!

Back view
Front view

And it actually still has the bottom face free on both fermenters. System also works if the mulch and sapling pipes are replaced by redpower tubes (in fact it works better since you save the diamond pipe on top and the items can't overflow).

If you stick with pipes and are worried about sapling overflow in the second fermenter you can place a diamond pipe there was well and continue the sapling pipe further on to a third fermenter or a storage chest.

And always remember: engineering is an art! ;)
So saplings into the orange and black space, and I can have a side pipe on whichever color that will deal with any overflow that might accumulate? Also, all sapling go straight to the planters, so is it best to wait for them to fill up and siphon off the overflow or... By Redpower tubes, do you mean pneumatic tubes? Kind of confused on that part.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
This was in the other thread "Where's the line between contraption and exploit". If it's true, then it means that it's not an exploit, and fair game. Personally, since you're effectively burning more diamonds then you'd normally need to in order to get the spawners going faster, i don't think that's so bad.
Whoever posted that was kinda full of crap. Soul Crystals are supposed to work exactly like soul shards, but let multiple people contribute to the soul count (you can see it talked about in one of DW20's SMP videos). So a t1 shard with 1 soul + a t1 shard with 1 soul would be a t1 shard with 2 souls. Combining 16 shards w/ 1 soul each should give you a single shard w/ 16 souls in it, not 1024. The anvil technique may have been intentionally added as a workaround, but the ability to create a t5 from almost nothing was certainly not intended.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So saplings into the orange and black space, and I can have a side pipe on whichever color that will deal with any overflow that might accumulate? Also, all sapling go straight to the planters, so is it best to wait for them to fill up and siphon off the overflow or... By Redpower tubes, do you mean pneumatic tubes? Kind of confused on that part.

Yes, pneumatic tubes are from Redpower. Generally whenever someone says "tube" they mean those and when they say "pipe" they mean the Buildcraft ones. But not everyone gets the distinction right all the time.

As for the diamond pipe, just make saplings go down the black path. If you mark them for both black and yellow, the pipe will split them 50/50 between those exits, and we don't want that because we want as many of them as possible to go into the juice Fermenter so that the juice gets used with priority. But if you mark only black, then it will force all of them to go down that route. And then comes a neat trick: a Buildcraft pipe directly attached to an inventory (such as the Fermenter) will allow an item to try an alternate path if that inventory is full, instead of spilling it instantly. The alternate path must be different from the path the item arrived from (green).

Basically, all saplings are forced into the first Fermenter all the time. But if that fills up, then the saplings are allowed to try for a different exit of the diamond pipe if one is available. They cannot go back the way they came through the green exit, because that is forbidden by default, so they choose the only option remaining to them: the way forward to the second fermenter, through the yellow exit. No need to set the filter for yellow at all (in fact, setting filters can sometimes break this behavior so better don't).

If you want to deal with overflow on the second Fermenter, again use a diamond pipe that filters saplings down the black exit, and then attach an alternative route so they can travel on if the black exit is congested.

Tubes simplify this because tubes never overflow (they send the item back to the source instead, which becomes "backstuffed" and waits for room to free up before sending more) and always fill the closest eligible inventory first. That means simply attaching a bog standard pneumatic tube to the top of the two Fermenters takes care of all the item navigation automatically.

I don't know anything about MFR planters, I'm afraid, but while using Forestry farms I always let the farm fill up on saplings and eject the overflow. That's the default behavior for the new Forestry multifarms anyway.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
What are those tubes you have labeled for power, and can tube handle liquids? Sorry for all the noob questions.
Those are redstone energy conduits. They're like conductive pipes, but better. Pneumatic tubes can't handle liquids (though there are liquid pipes added by Redpower). The liquid pipes in the picture are liquiducts which are from the same mod as the energy conduits. Again, they're basically waterproof pipes, but better.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Those are redstone energy conduits. They're like conductive pipes, but better. Pneumatic tubes can't handle liquids (though there are liquid pipes added by Redpower). The liquid pipes in the picture are liquiducts which are from the same mod as the energy conduits. Again, they're basically waterproof pipes, but better.
Can I just use waterproof cobble? I can't make hardened I don't have the machines needed to make the conduits, if those truly are better, but if I could just use engines or something for now that would be good.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Simple question: in terms of the rate at which I get rid of flux, am I better off using my silverwood saplings to make one huge pure node or a dozen tiny pure nodes?

It's pretty cool.

They do stop spawning when there are 12 mobs close (same radius as vanilla?) to the soul cage. What makes a T5 spawner dangerous is that most players will rig it up to move mobs far away from the spawner for grinding purposes and it does not shut off when you move away from it!!1! A limitless stream of mobs will move into your grinder, even when you are not around, unlike a vanilla spawner that shuts itself off when you are more than 16 blocks away.

Chunkloading this kind of farm and walking away is a very dangerous thing to do, especially if you happen to have shit for brains like certain people on my server and don't ever bother to install any kind of auto-shutoff/overflow protection.

Makin911

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have easymode config files to share with me for Gregtech?
i dont want to change existing recepies, but add the features of gregtech

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Can I just use waterproof cobble? I can't make hardened glass. And are the Mulch tubes from BC? They connect with the upper tubes and I'm not sure what they are.

Liquiducts have a higher capacity and are generally much better than BC pipes for moving fluids around. That said, they are indeed much cheaper if you happen to have some cactus handy. You use a wooden waterproof pipe that is being powered directly by a BC redstone engine to remove fluid and put it in your el cheapo cobble waterproof pipes, which will probably be adequate for the task at hand.

Stone BC pipes will not connect with cobblestone BC pipes, allowing for compact designs.