Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Not that Ive noticed. I do not believe any mod has altered the beacon coding.
I remember reading otherwise. I just make some tests and it seems that you can make beacon using GT metal blocks, some IC2 (bronze and uranium, not tin and copper) and FZ (lead and dark iron).

RP2 gem/metal blocks, RC steel and amber blocks don't work. I don't know about Xycraft.

OttoSoul

Jul 29, 2019
OK, last question. i ask waaay to many of these, but today was very iffy about a lot. here we go. power converters... can i hook up my mfsu to one, then have that send power through an energy tessaract to my quarry? id have no idea which converter to change eu into mj, if there is one, and the wiki yet again proves useless one many of the mods in ultimate. thanks for the constant help as well.

GameFAQsRolo

Jul 29, 2019
In Applied Energistics, can you preformat a storage unit with 63 types of items? The GUI is only showing 6 rows of 9 for a total of 54. I've tried changing the GUI scale to make sure, but it doesn't change anything.

javaw 2013-03-29 03-31-05-98.png

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
OK, last question. i ask waaay to many of these, but today was very iffy about a lot. here we go. power converters... can i hook up my mfsu to one, then have that send power through an energy tessaract to my quarry? id have no idea which converter to change eu into mj, if there is one, and the wiki yet again proves useless one many of the mods in ultimate. thanks for the constant help as well.
Info can be found on the mod's official thread.
Everything has to get routed through an energy bridge. After that you just need an EU consumer and an MJ producer. EU consumers have variable voltages, so for an MFSU make sure you use the HV consumer.

So, your setup would look like this: MFSU=>HV IC2 Consumer=>Energy Bridge=>BC Producer=>Tesseract

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Is Nanosuit armor worth it? I mean, I've got a jetpack, a lappack, and it's annoying enough having to constantly switch between them, but I wanted an armor that didn't just break, that I could recharge and use again.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anyway to "see" vis? I have high levels of flux in my area and I read that silverwood trees absorb flux and I wanted to grow two, but then I read on the wiki that they need certain level of vis and all this criteria to grow and I don't know how to replicate every aspect of this criteria.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Is Nanosuit armor worth it? I mean, I've got a jetpack, a lappack, and it's annoying enough having to constantly switch between them, but I wanted an armor that didn't just break, that I could recharge and use again.

Nano armor is sorta like rechargeable iron armor. It's ok, I guess, and you'll need it anyway if you want to get quantum, but it's nothing to write home about. If you don't mind spending a few resources, I highly recommend the advanced electric jetpack. It's a combo jetpack+lappack that holds 1 million EU. In newer versions of GraviSuite there's also an advanced nanosuit chest that combines the jetpack, lappack, and nano armor. So look forward to that.

Also, to see vis, research and craft the Goggles of Revealing. It gives you a HUD that will tell you the amount of vis available and the current flux level. It also allows you to see aura nodes so you can plan where to create new ones.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Nano armor is sorta like rechargeable iron armor. It's ok, I guess, and you'll need it anyway if you want to get quantum, but it's nothing to write home about. If you don't mind spending a few resources, I highly recommend the advanced electric jetpack. It's a combo jetpack+lappack that holds 1 million EU. In newer versions of GraviSuite there's also an advanced nanosuit chest that combines the jetpack, lappack, and nano armor. So look forward to that.

Also, to see vis, research and craft the Goggles of Revealing. It gives you a HUD that will tell you the amount of vis available and the current flux level. It also allows you to see aura nodes so you can plan where to create new ones.
I made the goggles, and I've only noticed the flux meter in the bottom left of my screen. That's really it, and I wear them all the time.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I made the goggles, and I've only noticed the flux meter in the bottom left of my screen. That's really it, and I wear them all the time.
Enter a Thaumcraft burrow or chop a silverwood tree down. There you will see the nodes. "Vis" per se is invisible, you can see it fly from one node to another when the level between them is unbalanced. So is Flux, by the way, the only way to "see" that is due to its effects, the lightnings and wisps spawning.

raulduranduran

Jul 29, 2019
Hello!

I'm having issues with chrome ingots. My industrial blast furnace won't smelt chrome dust. I play on a FTB Mindcrack server with Gregtech on Hard mode. I use my IBF to get titanium ingots, there's no power issue, it just won't react to chrome dust. Have I done something wrong?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Why do some of my barrels turn into craftpacket makers when I move them with portal gun?

If you're referring to the Gravity Gun, the best I can figure is that the Gravity Gun works per ID, not metadata. The Barrel and the Craftpacket Maker share the same ID, thus it puts down "the block with this ID," which, apparently, with damage value 0, is the Craftpacket Maker.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Answering a few questions so this'll be long, sorry. :p

I remember reading otherwise. I just make some tests and it seems that you can make beacon using GT metal blocks, some IC2 (bronze and uranium, not tin and copper) and FZ (lead and dark iron).

RP2 gem/metal blocks, RC steel and amber blocks don't work. I don't know about Xycraft.

To clarify, most blocks classed as "mineral" blocks work as beacon bases. Any mod beacon base has to be added manually, so whilst most minerals actually work, not all of them do. Blocks of raw Xychorium work, for example.

The fastest way to find out if a material works as a beacon base or not is to try it.

The NanoSuit is underestimated even after its nerf that stopped it being an invincibility suit. It still in practice provides excellent protection to rival diamond armor and is your logical step after iron/bronze armor. It's not the best armor you'll ever make but it was never meant to be. I highly recommend you use it whilst you work on better armor for the long term. As mentioned, the Advanced NanoSuit new to the Gravitation Suite (and not yet in FTB but will be next time they update) is also looking like an excellent mid-step choice whilst you work on top-end equipment.

If you're considering using the Power Suit, I recommend waiting until you can successfully install full Advanced Plating first to prevent mobility problems.

I'm having issues with chrome ingots. My industrial blast furnace won't smelt chrome dust. I play on a FTB Mindcrack server with Gregtech on Hard mode. I use my IBF to get titanium ingots, there's no power issue, it just won't react to chrome dust. Have I done something wrong?

If you examine the recipes for the various ingots from a Blast Furnace in detail, you will notice they require different levels of "heat tolerance" to smelt successfully. The heat tolerance of your own Blast Furnace is dependent on the casing you used to create the furnace: a Blast Furnace made only of basic casing is only just able to smelt steel and nothing else, whilst a Blast Furnace made purely of advanced casing is actually overkill and goes well over the requirements to smelt even Tungstensteel. It is therefore most likely that your Blast Furnace is strong enough to smelt Titanium but not Chrome and requires an upgraded case.

A fast way to upgrade a Blast Furnace, although one that requires some care, is to add lava blocks to the space in the inside. You can fit two in there and each one adds 500 heat tolerance to your Blast Furnace. This is the fastest way to upgrade your Blast Furnace but also the most risky because, y'know, lava. :p

A Blast Furnace will tell you its exact heat tolerance when you open its GUI. Basic Casing adds 25 tolerance, Reinforced adds 50 and Advanced adds 100. IIRC the heat tolerance required to smelt Chrome is 1700K. 3000K is enough to smelt anything the furnace can currently make. A Blast Furnace made entirely of 34 basic cases only has 850 heat tolerance so use that as a base to work from. A fully fitted advanced blast furnace tops out at 4400, which as I said before is far over the limit to smelt anything you need; in other words you don't have to overdo it with the advanced casing! :)

The Blast Furnace also requires a constant stream of power but if you're smelting lesser ingots you probably have that sorted already: you should supply a Blast Furnace with full Medium Voltage to power it properly.

merehunt

Jul 29, 2019
If you're referring to the Gravity Gun, the best I can figure is that the Gravity Gun works per ID, not metadata. The Barrel and the Craftpacket Maker share the same ID, thus it puts down "the block with this ID," which, apparently, with damage value 0, is the Craftpacket Maker.
Well that sucks if it's true. I have had it happen twice so I guess its a bit of a gamble.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
My Question today is:
does a Raidcraft steam boiler need the same amount fuel when steam is used to a boiler that is not outputting steam?

I build a complex system to turn of the steam engines when the redstone energiecells are full and no power is needed. But now i am thinking if if would make a difference when i leave the steam engines on the whole time.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I just made an AEJ (Advanced Electric Jetpack) and it can be recharged using the MEI, which I have, but it's only being powered by 3 solar panels. Because of this, the AEJ takes FOREVER to recharge, and it sucks all the power away from my machines. Obviously, it's time for an upgrade but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I have a lot of space to lay out a solar field, but I plan on living underground in a huge cavern like AnderZel and Etho have done, so I'm not sure solar power is the best option for me.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
My Question today is:
does a Raidcraft steam boiler need the same amount fuel when steam is used to a boiler that is not outputting steam?

I build a complex system to turn of the steam engines when the redstone energiecells are full and no power is needed. But now i am thinking if if would make a difference when i leave the steam engines on the whole time.
Yes, fuel usage doesn't depend on steam usage. When you deal with different demands I find other engines, like magmatic or combustion, to be better choice.