Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
You mean in the nether? Or elsewhere? Anyway to prevent mob spawning, yes, vanilla slabs work - but more efficient (material-wise) are Redpower2 Microblock 'Covers' which have the same effect.
Additionally, if you want a particularly cool look, pretty much every single Xycraft block will prevent mob spawns regardless of light level. From what I've heard, if the block does the weird "glowing" animation it will prevent mob spawns on it. (But it does NOT emit any light unless you're using the actual light/lamp blocks.)

Obviously that's way more material intensive. It depends on if this is going to be a place that you want to look nice (which could still be achieved with slabs of course) or if you're going for a quick and dirty solution (which torches would be even better for IMO).

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Additionally, if you want a particularly cool look, pretty much every single Xycraft block will prevent mob spawns regardless of light level. From what I've heard, if the block does the weird "glowing" animation it will prevent mob spawns on it. (But it does NOT emit any light unless you're using the actual light/lamp blocks.)

Obviously that's way more material intensive. It depends on if this is going to be a place that you want to look nice (which could still be achieved with slabs of course) or if you're going for a quick and dirty solution (which torches would be even better for IMO).
Pigmen spawns ignore light :p But the xycraft blocks would work, and look awesome, and there are loads with different designs and stuff :)

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
As a person looking to get into mystcraft's new system, how in hell am i supposed to get enough emeralds to build up a respectable library of pages?

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
Beehives stop working - report Hostile Environment even though in appropriate biomes. Happens most frequently when I log in (SSP, Mindcrack 8.2) or after rain.

I seem to be constantly breaking and replacing my apiaries to clear this annoying bug. Does anyone have a fix or is it something bugged with my world?

My daughter has reported this happening to her also. We haven't figured out the cause of the problem. She had them working one day, then the next day they reported Hostile Environment. We are SMP, modified Ultimate.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
solution: we need Xycrafts' blocks included with redpower microcovers. Someone lock Eloraam and Soaryn into a room together, until they obey! ;)

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
As a person looking to get into mystcraft's new system, how in hell am i supposed to get enough emeralds to build up a respectable library of pages?
1. create a 'blank' age book
2. use it and cross your fingers, that the instability isn't too bad
2a. if it is - back to 1.
3. travel along the surface and search Libraries - buildings made of cobble only found in mystcraft ages and plunder the lecturns in there. Plus, there ALWAYS is a hidden chest in them with four to seven additional pages.
3a. Thaumcraft Dens and Obsidian Altars found in ages can also have (single) pages in their chests - as well as the Greatwood trees that have cobwebs in between their leaves (dig under them)

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019

OMG, I can finally use Xycraft blocks! Perfect solution. Thanks.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Pigmen spawns ignore light :p But the xycraft blocks would work, and look awesome, and there are loads with different designs and stuff :)
Aha - for some reason I thought I remembered (from waaaaay back in my vanilla days) that pigmen still required a lower light level to spawn, but that the cutoff was higher than for typical hostile mobs. Evidently I'm either remembering wrong or just had it wrong in the first place. Heh.

solution: we need Xycrafts' blocks included with redpower microcovers. Someone lock Eloraam and Soaryn into a room together, until they obey! ;)
Yes please! I would use Xycraft blocks for WAY more aesthetic purposes if I wasn't limited to full-sized blocks. Even introducing half slabs would be a huge improvement. Maybe in 1.5? :D[DOUBLEPOST=1364495853][/DOUBLEPOST]
OMG, I can finally use Xycraft blocks! Perfect solution. Thanks.
No problem - glad I had a useful idea! Hehe.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019

Villager trading. Most villages I've been to have at least one villager who will trade for easily renewable items like wheat or paper. If you have a portal gun or gravity gun, consider kidnapping any villagers with particularly good trades and bringing them back to your base. I have a little trading post with villagers that supply me all sorts of goodies.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Wikis are hard to get to understand, that is true. If you're new to FTB, you should try to play vanilla. You know about ore doubling/tripling, but minus that, just go mine. When you get a ton of resources, go onto the wiki. Then your prep time will be fixed. Now, I can understand your frustration with the FTB wiki, but a lot of individual mods work great! Thaumcraft, Factorization, IC2, TE, and especially AE have great documentation.
But how far are you? In your game?
When I first got FTB I spent 3 days of non stop mining. It was crazy. Other than that, I've been using a lot of the Thaumcraft stuff, and just made me a Axe of the Stream and the sword, so pretty much tier two stuffz. I've got a quarry, a basic tree farm that makes charcoal and wood chips and biomass. I've got the tree farm set up, a single quarry that took forever to make, a portal to the Twilight Forest/Zone, a little machine group comprised of a macerator, compressor, furnace... basic machines. I don't have a storage room or even any definite place to live yet, but I'm working on that now, the living space issue. Tool wise I've got an advanced drill and a jetpack. I think that about sums up. By vanilla, do you mean vanilla Minecraft?

Demi

Jul 29, 2019
sorting setup:
i'm wanting to migrate away from the inverted barrel pyramid, being filled with pneumatic tubes and change to an
enderchest -> filter -> sorting machine -> router -> wall of barrels
setup.
now i'm wondering how to best or most efficient or most sane adress possible overflow situations. i'd prefer a rerouting to a different sorting machine, to filter out things to be scrapped (quartz chrystals), or refined (cobble to stone e.g.) or put into an overflow chest (unknown items/valuables etc).
the most elegant solution i could think of right now is a gate on a structurepipe, emitting signal if router "has inventory". a computer picking up the redstone signal, rechecking after some time if redstone signal persists and pulsing a filter pulling out of the router to an additional sorting machine.
the problems i see though: i'm not very firm using computerprograms to safely troubleshoot a program i'd come up with, and considering the router will be consistenly be refill i'd expect various false positives, which would suck out random items from my sorting setup.
so... is there a) a better overflow/wrong item detection setup or b) a way to check for a continous redstone signal with CC? or c) something else you wanna tell me :p

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
When I first got FTB I spent 3 days of non stop mining. It was crazy. Other than that, I've been using a lot of the Thaumcraft stuff, and just made me a Axe of the Stream and the sword, so pretty much tier two stuffz. I've got a quarry, a basic tree farm that makes charcoal and wood chips and biomass. I've got the tree farm set up, a single quarry that took forever to make, a portal to the Twilight Forest/Zone, a little machine group comprised of a macerator, compressor, furnace... basic machines. I don't have a storage room or even any definite place to live yet, but I'm working on that now, the living space issue. Tool wise I've got an advanced drill and a jetpack. I think that about sums up. By vanilla, do you mean vanilla Minecraft?
Yeah, vanilla minecraft. You should go to the end. And get a house. Of course, neither of these are required; ask Dravaden, he doesn't ever build a house. You should work on a storage room with AE, but it will be very complicated. By comparison, the stuff you're doing is 1st grade! ;)

Throbbing

Jul 29, 2019
So i'm new into bees and i just got my first pure industrious princess. But i got no industrious drones, all i got was som unweary/diligent drones. And of course now i wanted a pure industrious princess and pure industrious drones. So i mixed the princess with one of the unweary/diligent drones beacuse i thought that would spawn some pure drones and a princess. BUT this failed and the princess became a unweary again...

So my question is, when in a situation like this what drone should i mix the pure princess with when i dont have any drones of the same type as the princess? Like, maybe mix the industrious princess with a meadows or something like that? This applies to any pure princess i get without any pure drones. What's the best thing to do in a situation like that to get both a pure princess and some pure drones?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well there is serums, but that's extrabees territory I haven't entered quite yet.
What a serum does is allow you to inject a type of bee into another bee. So you could put it in a drone and have an industrious drone/princess combo!
But the first one is always tricky. If you try to get max fertility, you'll have more drones that could be industrious. So either max fertility, or serums.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, vanilla minecraft. You should go to the end. And get a house. Of course, neither of these are required; ask Dravaden, he doesn't ever build a house. You should work on a storage room with AE, but it will be very complicated. By comparison, the stuff you're doing is 1st grade! ;)
I've been playing vanilla for 4-5 years! haha, I've had Minecraft since it was in Alpha stage. I wouldn't say that it's 1st grade, unless every FTB machine is impossible to make 100% efficient. I'd also like to point out that "4th" says 4th even when it's upside down...

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Hahaha, 4th... 4th *turns comp upside down*
I'm talking about how complex mods like AE and logistics pipes are. I haven't even touched LP, but AE is just confusing. It's so good though, you can't go wrong with it. If it could store liquids...man...

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Hahaha, 4th... 4th *turns comp upside down*
I'm talking about how complex mods like AE and logistics pipes are. I haven't even touched LP, but AE is just confusing. It's so good though, you can't go wrong with it. If it could store liquids...man...
Honestly, there are a few things in this pack that just make we want to whimper in a corner, and building a storage system is at the top of that list. One I see the mod I'll have to use I'll probably cry. Not really, but... well maybe ;p

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, there are a few things in this pack that just make we want to whimper in a corner, and building a storage system is at the top of that list. One I see the mod I'll have to use I'll probably cry. Not really, but... well maybe ;p

:p

Beginning sorting systems are always fairly simple if you use a Router and a wall of Barrels, or a Sorting Machine. Those aren't too hard.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, AE, check out DWolf's spotlight. REQUIRED :p
Read the wiki: Yes, the whole thing.
Then, make an ME Chest/Drive (Drive is better long-term, chest is for learning). Toss in 1 ME Controller and 1 ME interface. They must be touching. Set up some of your energy (You need a *CONSISTENT* energy source), and make it go into the controller. Then just toss your items in through the ME Interface.
But it's almost necessary you do both the wiki reading and some direwolf spotlighting, especially since you're not used to mixed mod.

Barrels are good *great*, but they take up room.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
AE looks pretty awesome, but I need to dedicate the time to learn it.
That, and either stop playing the DW20 pack or wait for it to be added. (I'm not interested enough yet to add it myself... :p )

So i'm new into bees and i just got my first pure industrious princess. But i got no industrious drones, all i got was som unweary/diligent drones. And of course now i wanted a pure industrious princess and pure industrious drones. So i mixed the princess with one of the unweary/diligent drones beacuse i thought that would spawn some pure drones and a princess. BUT this failed and the princess became a unweary again...

So my question is, when in a situation like this what drone should i mix the pure princess with when i dont have any drones of the same type as the princess? Like, maybe mix the industrious princess with a meadows or something like that? This applies to any pure princess i get without any pure drones. What's the best thing to do in a situation like that to get both a pure princess and some pure drones?
Well there's statistical chance involved here. What you tried could have worked out just fine, but you weren't that lucky this time. Serums could work, but you aren't guaranteed to get the industrious serum from a single bee, so that's risky too. One way to up your chances in that situation would be to hang on to that pure industrious princess and then separately breed up another line of industrious bees, hoping to get a drone that's at least half industrious. Breeding a drone like that with your pure princess would increase your odds of getting purebreds of both considerably, but it's still far from guaranteed.

So it takes some effort obviously. If you have the infrastructure to do serums, as well as purebred unweary bees, getting the unweary serum would allow you to take multiple stabs at industrious without needing to breed up a new line entirely from scratch each time.

And finally, my experience with bees is admittedly a bit limited. So if someone knows a better approach than the advice that I'm giving, please share!