Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
:p

Beginning sorting systems are always fairly simple if you use a Router and a wall of Barrels, or a Sorting Machine. Those aren't too hard.
Really? If barrels have to be filled from the bottom, then wouldn't that not be very space efficient? I haven't heard of the Router, but the Sorting Machine seems like something easy to use. If it is easy, then the only issues is space, but I can fix that easily.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Really? If barrels have to be filled from the bottom, then wouldn't that not be very space efficient? I haven't heard of the Router, but the Sorting Machine seems like something easy to use. If it is easy, then the only issues is space, but I can fix that easily.

The Router can fill Barrels from the bottom even if there's another Barrel below it. Trust me, they're one of the most awesome item transportation devices ever invented by NeptunePink.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Routers and AE work nicely together, saves you on quartz, no need for the nether.

GAHHOIWNOFOWING! STOP RAPPING!
Nether quartz isn't even out yet, AE may not even use it, and Routers are full of stuff that are required for the nether!

:eek:

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Here's an engineering challenge for you. Consider the following:

[fast processing machine] -> [autocrafting table] -> [slow consumer]

Basically, a situation where you invariably backlog the system. Unfortunately the autocrafting table tends to not handle backlogs particularly well, since at some point the empty parts of the crafting grid will start filling and the recipe breaks.

How would you set this up? Here's some rules:
1.) Computercraft isn't allowed
2.) Using as little buffer storage as possible is desirable
3.) Making it as compact as possible is desirable
4.) This system should be able to run in isolation, running off a single local energy producer (i.e. no autocrafting via an AE cloud or similar)

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Like Whovian said, the router has no problem accessing any side of the barrel. Though I should point out that you typically want to fill barrels from the top. Filling them from the bottom (with traditional methods at least) limits them to a single stack of items.

And while the router is pretty much inarguably awesome, I might recommend sticking with just the RP2 sorting machine at first if you haven't built a sorting system before. The router isn't so hard to use, but if it gets even a single item that it doesn't have anywhere to put (whether because of backlog or the item simply being unexpected) it will cease sorting anything. The sorting machine alone is much friendlier when it comes to setting up the all-important 'default route'. (IMO)

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the tips guys. Now, why do me cows keep dying? They're in a little fenced off area, and sometimes when I come back, part of the fence is destroyed and most of my cows are dead and they steak is cooked. This is the second time this has happened and I duuno what's causing it. This time I was in the Twilight Forest and when I came back my cows were either non-existent or roaming.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the tips guys. Now, why do me cows keep dying? They're in a little fenced off area, and sometimes when I come back, part of the fence is destroyed and most of my cows are dead and they steak is cooked. This is the second time this has happened and I duuno what's causing it. This time I was in the Twilight Forest and when I came back my cows were either non-existent or roaming.
I'd bet on lightning. Probably TC3 based (how much flux do you have near your cows), or from excited bees.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I have been tapping into AE lately.. and I really like it so far - I was just wondering if I do understand the crafting concept the right way: IF I understand it right, the "ME Molecular Assembler Chamber" in combination with a "ME Pattern Encoder" (gone wild) is kinda like the be all end all of crafting "stations", isn't it? I mean, again, if I get this right, I have to do patterns for, say, all kinds of ores, dusts and ingots I might ever stumble across, toss it into the system - and goodbye furnaces, macerators, pulverizers, what-have-nots? Now, I do not want an in-depth explanation (as that would be far over the top for for a "simple answer"), so a short "You're right, it is." or "No, you still need all those machines in one way or another" is fine for me. I just want to wrap my head around that Chamber. ;) Thanks.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I'd bet on lightning. Probably TC3 based (how much flux do you have near your cows), or from excited bees.
But twice the same spot? That's just crazy, to me. I don't know about this flux stuff, but I hear it's bad and I'm sure there's tons of it. But where I conduct research is at least 20-30 blocks away from where I keep the cows.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
But twice the same spot? That's just crazy, to me. I don't know about this flux stuff, but I hear it's bad and I'm sure there's tons of it. But where I conduct research is at least 20-30 blocks away from where I keep the cows.
Well flux levels, as well as individual nodes, will affect rather large areas. In this sense, 20-30 blocks probably isn't very far. However research, as far as I know, shouldn't raise your flux levels at all. But if you've been creating stuff in a crucible, that almost certainly will. And even if you haven't been introducing any flux yourself, there's always that possibility that you just so happened to build your base near a very unfriendly node... (did that myself in my most recent world...)

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
But twice the same spot? That's just crazy, to me.
1. Make sure you do not have any energetic or similar bees in the area.
2. Get yourself the Goggles of Revealing sooner than later and check your flux level.
I don't know about this flux stuff, but I hear it's bad and I'm sure there's tons of it.
Left unattended, it quickly becomes a srs pain in the rear. =)

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Make sure to analyse your bees; just because it is a Tropical it doesn't mean that it likes jungles. If you've been cross-breeding then traits might be messed up.

Thanks - but that was the first thing I checked. It occurs regardless of whats bees are in the hive. I even threw away the apiaries and cheated back in replacements. No difference. It seems to happen most often when I log into SSP.

Really FRUSTRATING - any help appreciated.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I have been tapping into AE lately.. and I really like it so far - I was just wondering if I do understand the crafting concept the right way: IF I understand it right, the "ME Molecular Assembler Chamber" in combination with a "ME Pattern Encoder" (gone wild) is kinda like the be all end all of crafting "stations", isn't it? I mean, again, if I get this right, I have to do patterns for, say, all kinds of ores, dusts and ingots I might ever stumble across, toss it into the system - and goodbye furnaces, macerators, pulverizers, what-have-nots? Now, I do not want an in-depth explanation (as that would be far over the top for for a "simple answer"), so a short "You're right, it is." or "No, you still need all those machines in one way or another" is fine for me. I just want to wrap my head around that Chamber. ;) Thanks.

The AE system is exceptionally good at crafting, dumping perfectly sized quotas of items into inventories and yanking items from any inventory into its internal network. It's totally useless at everything else. For everything else you will need to be creative with your item exporting.

It is possible to automate virtually everything with AE, just not with a crafting computer alone.

OttoSoul

Jul 29, 2019
sup, just wondering, do robust twilight oak saplings grow in the over-world? and is there and easy way to get a sapling?

lindyhopfan

Jul 29, 2019
A few days ago, I was building the (wooden) roof of my very large mansion, and was on the roof, when a bolt of lightning hit another part of the roof, and the fire consumed a few hundred blocks (at least) of my roof. So my question -- do gregtech lightning rods protect an area against getting hit by lightning or is there some other way of protecting a large area from fire? MFFS perhaps?

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
If you insist on using wood as a building material you are always at risk of lightning-triggered fire so long as a wooden area of the house faces the open sky.

MFFS is probably your only realistic defence short of building with a more reliable material. I personally build pretty much any survival structure out of stone brick because of this.

As for GregTech lightning rods, they tend to draw lightning *to* you, that's what they're designed to do. They also happen to be the best power generator after the Fusion Reactor provided you will get a storm often enough to charge it, and the Overworld qualifies for this criteria. They aren't very good as lightning shields though, interestingly enough, at least not that I'm aware.

lindyhopfan

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I forgot all about lightning when I chose wood for the building material of my mansion. It was the only material I had access to in sufficient supply since this is a new world for me and I wanted to start by focusing on building rather than crafting and technology like I usually do. So I got a good sized Steve's Carts tree farm set up as soon as I could and processed the wood using a single steam engine powering a single sawmill. I have almost no other machines built yet, but now that I have an epic mansion I have plenty of space to put my stuff as I get it built. Replacing the roofing material would be a lot of work at this point, though. It would be quicker to just wait for the next lightning strike and repair the damage when it happens, probably. I'm open to suggestions if there is an alternate building material for the roof that would be sufficiently epic so as to justify the effort. I don't think stone brick would look right for my build.

T8YrMhG.jpg