An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with that, in the context of fusion reactors, is that a bedrock coil can only emit 16MW of power... or about 0.03% of the output of a 58 GW reactor.

i think you guys are approaching the problem from too big of a scale. it's not necessary to find a use for 58GW at that second as long as you can store it as potential energy...in steam

convert your rotary torque from the reactor into RF, then run it through power converters into railcraft steam, and store it in a tank. store it until you need it, then convert it back to RF, and back to torque. you may need 10 magnetostatic, or you may need 100 for your power needs, but the power can be there waiting for you on demand in a tank.

or maybe use the reactor as a community project. everybody pitches in and can reap the rewards by hooking up to the steam channel.

i've been trying to say that all day, but it never came out right. i'm actually running two power plants; one for local rotarycraft power which uses shafts and rotarycraft engines, and long distance power using boilers and converting the steam to RF>Torque on site.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
no, rotarycraft uses torque. you need to convert it to RF first, then torque.

I dont have the recipe book handy at the moment, but listed along side the MJ, EU, RF and BC fuel "compatiblity" devices where some that clamed to produce or consume steam. I know RoC has its own steam and steam turbine, but I thought the steam listed there was RC steam.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
nope they're different (un)fortunately.

you can convert reactorcraft steam into rotarycraft torque, and convert that into RF, and that into railcraft steam w/power crystals...but it will never be reactorcraft steam again sir :(

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Might I suggest moving this topic to the roterycraft thread? I keep getting confused as to what all this has to do with narlohotep or chathulu.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
i think you guys are approaching the problem from too big of a scale. it's not necessary to find a use for 58GW at that second as long as you can store it as potential energy...in steam
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Just to be clear, you do know what a "watt" is, right?

Might I suggest moving this topic to the roterycraft thread? I keep getting confused as to what all this has to do with narlohotep or chathulu.
There's already a fusion reactor thread here. I'm not sure why the discussion isn't there.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Just to be clear, you do know what a "watt" is, right?

Of course I do. Do you know what potential energy is?

all I suggested was a way to "store" the massive amounts of energy produced by a rotarycraft reactor. it works (in theory). don't shoot the messenger.

edit: the fact that you'd need so many RF converters is the main reason i bypass rotarycraft power generation for long distance rotarycraft power; i go straight for steam, and convert it. because trying to shaft 1,000 converters to harness the power of a fusion is stupid. my post above was mostly tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Of course I do. Do you know what potential energy is?

all I suggested was a way to "store" the massive amounts of energy produced by a rotarycraft reactor. it works. don't shoot the messenger.
The Reactorcraft tokamak fusion reactor isn't anything like the experiments being conducted at the National Ignition Facility, where the entire fusion test only lasts a few billionths of a second and produces x amount of energy, it's a continuously-operating reactor that produces y amount of energy per second as long as it's run. In this case, y > 24 GJ, for a power output of > 24 GW.

I just can't fathom why I would ever want to store power from a fusion reactor. Why, once started, would I ever want to turn it off? Why, with a functional fusion reactor, would I ever possibly want to use stored power from the reactor when I could just hook my device up to some branch of the power line, be it shaft power or RF?

It just doesn't make sense, it's like telling me to store the excess water being produced by 500,000 aqueous accumulators in tanks, even though it'd be incredibly hard to find a way to use the continuous output of even 2% of them. Why would I ever do that?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
that was the point. and that converting twice in order to transport power kind of sucks. why are you pondering such things that are obviously not meant to be pondered? post 141 was 90% joke, except the last two sentences.

goodnight. no more armchair engineers tonight. it's just minecraft.

edit: inb4 "where's the joke??" the joke is the thousands of blocks you'd need to harness the fusion. that's all. ffs.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think from the above I should probably start development on the "through-portal" shafts, though that will not help with MystCraft ages.

EDIT:
Wait, MystCraft has is own crystal portals, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: gallowglass

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
I think from the above I should probably start development on the "through-portal" shafts, though that will not help with MystCraft ages.

EDIT:

lol. You edited right as I clicked reply. Yes, I haven't played too much with Mystcraft, but it is my understanding that there are portals you can make that have a little slot for the book.

I think this is a great idea, Reika.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I need to know the target dimension ID of the portal in order for this to work.
I guess you can talk to the devs of those mods and ask them to include something like that (if it isn't already) in their mod/api.

I really like the idea of "through" portal power transmission, especially with EnhancedPortals 3. It might even be possible to include a RC power block in the portal frame :)

Reactions: midi_sec

iiowyn

Jul 29, 2019

EDIT:
What happens if the portal closes with the power still on?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I guess you can talk to the devs of those mods and ask them to include something like that (if it isn't already) in their mod/api.

I really like the idea of "through" portal power transmission, especially with EnhancedPortals 3. It might even be possible to include a RC power block in the portal frame :)

I was just thinking that, but idk.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
What happens if the portal closes with the power still on?
I need to cut the power, obviously, but I need to look into how to do that.

I been waiting for this mod. Wasn't it based on something? I think it was Matmos.
That is correct; I was playing 1.2.5 tekkit and heard rumbling and sounds like a creature coming from the void. How did you know that?