An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
that was the point. and that converting twice in order to transport power kind of sucks. why are you pondering such things that are obviously not meant to be pondered? post 141 was 90% joke, except the last two sentences.

goodnight. no more armchair engineers tonight. it's just minecraft.

edit: inb4 "where's the joke??" the joke is the thousands of blocks you'd need to harness the fusion. that's all. ffs.
Irony translates poorly over the internet.

I think from the above I should probably start development on the "through-portal" shafts, though that will not help with MystCraft ages.

EDIT:
Wait, MystCraft has is own crystal portals, right?
Mystcraft does have crystal portals, but the problem with them is that they're one way: there's an entrance portal, but the system isn't designed to have an exit portal. Think End portal, and not Nether or Twilight forest that should always have a portal on both sides.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Irony translates poorly over the internet.

Mystcraft does have crystal portals, but the problem with them is that they're one way: there's an entrance portal, but the system isn't designed to have an exit portal. Think End portal, and not Nether or Twilight forest that should always have a portal on both sides.
I can check if there is a portal at those coordinates in the corresponding dimension, though, correct?

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I can check if there is a portal at those coordinates in the corresponding dimension, though, correct?
Not really because linked portals can be anywhere in the other dimension. You need some support from the mods api that includes those portals. Or some other way to find out where the portal links to as it is not guaranteed to be at the same coords in the other dimension :(

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Not really because linked portals can be anywhere in the other dimension. You need some support from the mods api that includes those portals. Or some other way to find out where the portal links to as it is not guaranteed to be at the same coords in the other dimension :(

Not really. Twilight portals and Nether portals have specific rules about what they'll link to. Even Mystcraft link books/portals link to a specific coordinate which could be tested for a matching block at/near the endpoint. Maybe the portal shaft could be integrated into part of whatever the frame is? I'm not sure how efficient it is going to be to do a "nether portal"-like search routine every time torque needs to tick through the portal though. I suppose the problem with that being that multiple portals can link to a single portal and multiple books to a single coordinate.

I recall seeing a mod that added a nether fluid portal block that made its own rules about how it connects, something like that may be the easier route to take.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not really. Twilight portals and Nether portals have specific rules about what they'll link to. Even Mystcraft link books/portals link to a specific coordinate which could be tested for a matching block at/near the endpoint. Maybe the portal shaft could be integrated into part of whatever the frame is? I'm not sure how efficient it is going to be to do a "nether portal"-like search routine every time torque needs to tick through the portal though. I suppose the problem with that being that multiple portals can link to a single portal and multiple books to a single coordinate.

I recall seeing a mod that added a nether fluid portal block that made its own rules about how it connects, something like that may be the easier route to take.
What is stopping me from directly checking (i.e. "is block at x,y,z in dimension X also portal block?")? I have no issues with forcing the player to manually build a new portal in exactly the same coordinates in each dimension.

Reactions: Jacobbelveder

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Maybe. In order to do inter-dimensional shaft power transport via mystcraft portal, you'd need to:
  1. Get the exit dimension and coordinates of portal A *
  2. If the dimension is the same as the current dimension, you also have to check if the book is intra linking, otherwise the portal will still be made, but won't be functional
  3. Check the exit coordinates from portal A in the appropriate dimension for portal B
  4. Check whether portal B has a book receptacle too, and if the linking book in that leads back to portal A through the same process
* Note that depending on how Mystcraft portals function exactly, this may mean having to find the book receptacle, which itself might be difficult because Mystcraft portals can be almost any shape or size, even complex 3-dimensional shapes - see this youtube video. Once the book receptacle has been found, it may be necessary to parse the NBT data of the book in the receptacle to actually get the data you want.

It seems like a lot of work to try to adapt a one-way portal for this purpose.

edit: clarification

Last edited:

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019

Well that's exactly what i meant. One needs information from the book to know where the link is in the other dimension. When this information isn't accessible we got a problem. Nether Portals and Twilight Portals aren't that useful for RoC power transmission imo as we have nearly no control over where they link to.
Using a vanilla Nether portal for example would still require a huge amount of shafts and other tools to transfer the power several thousand blocks. This would be no improvement to the current state imo.
What is stopping me from directly checking (i.e. "is block at x,y,z in dimension X also portal block?")?
That only works for vanilla Nether portals and TwilightForest portals afaik. And the first one isn't a huge improvement over the current situation(see comment above).

With mystcraft for example one can link coords x1,z1,y1 in dim X to coords x2,z2,y2 in dim Y through books. The book is then placed in a crystal portal. But nothing guarantees that a portal on the other end exists. It could be a one way link or the portal back could be just 20 blocks away from the coords x2,z2,y2 portal_1 in dim X links to. These coords can have several thousand blocks on the XZ plane from each other. Thus checking coords x1,z1,y1 in dim Y could return no portal blocks at the given coords.
Now of course if the portal mod includes an API which gives you the coords x2,z2,y2 all is ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: midi_sec

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
That only works for vanilla Nether portals and TwilightForest portals afaik. And the first one isn't a huge improvement over the current situation(see comment above).
It's worth mentioning that Nether (or Twilight Forest) portal power transmission would do exactly nothing to help transmit power out of a Mystcraft age, because Nether and TF portals don't work in Mystcraft ages at all.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well that's exactly what i meant. One needs information from the book to know where the link is in the other dimension. When this information isn't accessible we got a problem. Nether Portals and Twilight Portals aren't that useful for RoC power transmission imo as we have nearly no control over where they link to.
Using a vanilla Nether portal for example would still require a huge amount of shafts and other tools to transfer the power several thousand blocks. This would be no improvement to the current state imo.

With mystcraft for example one can link coords x1,z1,y1 in dim X to coords x2,z2,y2 in dim Y through books. The book is then placed in a crystal portal. But nothing guarantees that a portal on the other end exists. It could be a one way link or the portal back could be just 20 blocks away from the coords x2,z2,y2 portal_1 in dim X links to. These coords can have several thousand blocks on the XZ plane from each other. Thus checking coords x1,z1,y1 in dim Y could return no portal blocks at the given coords.
Now of course if the portal mod includes an API which gives you the coords x2,z2,y2 all is ok.
Hence the second half of my post.
What is stopping me from forcing the player to manually build a corresponding portal? That is, if they build an overworld-DIM6 portal, which goes from 60,64,100 in the overworld to 20, 64, 90 in DIM6, why can I not just say "now the player has to build a new portal at 60,64,100 in DIM6"? Remember - I do not care about where the portals actually go in their dimensions, only that they are in the same location.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
+20 to enhanced portals 3. the portal frames in that mod are already modular. also portal networks.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
+20 to enhanced portals 3. the portal frames in that mod are already modular. also portal networks.

Not exactly what I ment. I was more refering to the fact the alz knows how to search for a portal connection. It's actually part of the core of EP3, the abilty to specify portal destinations.
Hell, he could possibly work something into an API for Reika to use if he doesn't already have it there.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not exactly what I ment. I was more refering to the fact the alz knows how to search for a portal connection. It's actually part of the core of EP3, the abilty to specify portal destinations.
Hell, he could possibly work something into an API for Reika to use if he doesn't already have it there.
I am not so sure about that; I have the preliminary framework for the power transfer code already designed in my head, and it is likely to be unlike anything people would intuitively implement as part of an API, involving a lot of blended and fake TileEntities.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Hence the second half of my post.
What is stopping me from forcing the player to manually build a corresponding portal? That is, if they build an overworld-DIM6 portal, which goes from 60,64,100 in the overworld to 20, 64, 90 in DIM6, why can I not just say "now the player has to build a new portal at 60,64,100 in DIM6"? Remember - I do not care about where the portals actually go in their dimensions, only that they are in the same location.
Oh you mean lit......Sorry! But you edited that part in after i clicked quote and wrote my response! (That's why my quote only got the first part)
I guess nothing could stop you from doing it that way. But much of the purpose of those portals would be lost.
I would say talk to Alz, the author of Enhanced Portals.
This might be one of the best approaches worth pursuing appart from the force same coords.

Also what would happen if i would use, for example EnhancedPortals3, to link to another portal in the same dimension? That check is bound to fail but still someting players would like to be able to do. Having an off-site remote facility which could still be linked to the main base/power grid. And not everyone got mystcraft installed which would mean that almost no other dimensions exist but the need for remote power transfer is still there despite having maybe only the 2 vanilla dimensions. Oh so many things to consider!

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
I'm liking the ideas so far, but I think its best the topic be moved to its own thread yes? sorry I derailed the topic fast with my first post.

Zsashas

Jul 29, 2019
On the original topic, is there no config for Void Monster? Also I have dug down and broken through Bedrock in several worlds, without seeing it once. Each time I made a large room with a spacious hole in the bedrock for it to enter through, with a walkway over the opening. Tested in both Creative and Survival, in the following world types: Overworld, Superflat Desert, Superflat Tunneller's Dream, Mystcraft Overworld-type ages (as opposed to Void ages). Have yet to test Nether or Nether-type Ages. Also, can it break through anything? Or can I just seal up a hole in Bedrock with dirt or stone and be done with it if I so choose? And last question, how big does the hole have to be (how big is the Void Monster?).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to move half the thread?
Get an admin to move the threads you want them to? It's not easy, but it's totally possible to split threads. I did it a couple times during my stint as an Admin on the MouRO Forums.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
On the original topic, is there no config for Void Monster? Also I have dug down and broken through Bedrock in several worlds, without seeing it once. Each time I made a large room with a spacious hole in the bedrock for it to enter through, with a walkway over the opening. Tested in both Creative and Survival, in the following world types: Overworld, Superflat Desert, Superflat Tunneller's Dream, Mystcraft Overworld-type ages (as opposed to Void ages). Have yet to test Nether or Nether-type Ages. Also, can it break through anything? Or can I just seal up a hole in Bedrock with dirt or stone and be done with it if I so choose? And last question, how big does the hole have to be (how big is the Void Monster?).
No, there is no config, and the monster does not spawn in superflat-type worlds.