An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I finished a mod that I have had planned for a long time. It adds a creature - rather, a monster - into the void which will pursue you for as long as it lives (and will respawn later if killed). Due to the bedrock, it is (normally) not a direct threat, but the ambience it adds to the deep caves...

What would you do if you encountered this? Make sure you have your sound on. For best results, watch alone, at night, in a dark room.

Tornado3019

Jul 29, 2019
He needs to be stronger and more nope-worthy... Maybe some glowing red eyes when you attempt to attack him, also make him deal more damage and pierce armor... If you break into the void, anything that can live there will be pretty powerfull.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Dat ambience. I think it would be a bit more interesting if it could turn into a gas or something and start leaking through blocks to get to you.

Reactions: DerpyKee

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Moar scary, moar power, make it so that it's difficult to kill even with powersuit armor. Maybe something like Endermen which teleport away then attack behind you when you least expect it, etc. Makes it more scary. And moar sounds. Half the creepiness is from sounds.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Moar scary, moar power, make it so that it's difficult to kill even with powersuit armor.
I can make it more difficult, but this mod is designed for vanilla, so I am not going to rely on MPS or other powerful armors.

Maybe something like Endermen which teleport away then attack behind you when you least expect it, etc. Makes it more scary.
This is an interesting idea.

Dat ambience. I think it would be a bit more interesting if it could turn into a gas or something and start leaking through blocks to get to you.
Then it would kill you on your first day. That said, places like the Deep Dark, which have void holes, will certainly be more dangerous.

He needs to be stronger and more nope-worthy... Maybe some glowing red eyes when you attempt to attack him
This mob does not have an "organic" styling.

also make him deal more damage and pierce armor... If you break into the void, anything that can live there will be pretty powerfull.
I have buffed the damage, but I see no reason to penetrate armor.

I also made it heal itself when it hurts you.

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you could make it drop some sort of "void stone" that makes you take less damage in the void. That way, if you have flight, you can more easily get out of places like the Deep Dark's void holes without dying.

In any case, Reika, you've gone and surpassed our expectations once again! :D

Also you really should update your github repos more often

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Maybe you could make it drop some sort of "void stone" that makes you take less damage in the void. That way, if you have flight, you can more easily get out of places like the Deep Dark's void holes without dying.

In any case, Reika, you've gone and surpassed our expectations once again! :D

Also you really should update your github repos more often
This is an interesting idea...

Reactions: NegaNote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I just made it so that if it is at less than full health, it will have a chance (1/4 per second) of entering "heal mode", which lasts for 2 seconds, and heals about 6 hearts, and during which it is immune to all damage.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance at this ?

lotr__balrog_by_arkis-d52nfzr.jpg

In the Third Age, this beast allegedly crawled from the deep (after going to sleep in the First Age.)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Balrog. In popular culture, it was most recently featured in the 1st LOTR film based off the Tolkien LOTR books. There is a vague reference to its origins in the film here.

The Silmarillion has much more detail about the Balrogs.

Your concept of something crawling from the deep (after the MC player delves too deep) struck me as being similar to what the Dwarves did in the 3rd age.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe this guy also should only come up after a couple of days into a world and a config option for it? That way you have to at least be moderately prepared to face it, and people can change it to match their tastes. Maybe also an option for "mod difficulty" / "vanilla difficulty" where the difficulty is differently scaled depending on which is selected. For mods, the monster deals more damage because we'll all have power armor or something, while vanilla wouldn't. Also, the amount of damage and danger level of the monster should increase like how in a world, the zombies and skellies begin wearing more and more armor the further you go into a world. Just some more food for thought. I'm actually looking forward to this, because a lot of mob mods don't give something difficult mainly because of other mods that make the danger level obsolete.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Maybe this guy also should only come up after a couple of days into a world and a config option for it?
There is no way to know that.

That way you have to at least be moderately prepared to face it, and people can change it to match their tastes. Maybe also an option for "mod difficulty" / "vanilla difficulty" where the difficulty is differently scaled depending on which is selected. For mods, the monster deals more damage because we'll all have power armor or something, while vanilla wouldn't. Also, the amount of damage and danger level of the monster should increase like how in a world, the zombies and skellies begin wearing more and more armor the further you go into a world. Just some more food for thought. I'm actually looking forward to this, because a lot of mob mods don't give something difficult mainly because of other mods that make the danger level obsolete.
I would need an option for every mod possible...

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
There is no way to know that.

I would need an option for every mod possible...
What I meant was maybe different "difficulty" levels. Like "hard" and "easy." That way the damage the monster does scale up. Sorry if I was confusing before. :p

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
So... if it only spawns beneath the bedrock, how does one typically encounter it as other than interesting ambiance?

I know there's mod-added things like the Deep Dark that have natural holes, but normally the surface world doesn't. And it is my understanding that bedrock breakers (rotarycraft) don't normally break out the last layer. Has that changed? Because that might be awesome.