An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
We have lasers and heat rays, are orbital microwave power relays a possibility?

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Reika, never played your mods before but I've read up on them, and frankly I like your realist view on them. My question is, would you ever consider doing say a mod/add on to reactorcraft that is based upon plausible theoretical power generation? Things like Geothermal power (not the magic box kind but actually pumping water to magma pockets to create steam from this, (in a sense its renewable energy) or you could get more futuristic with things like antimatter. Mostly I'm thinking power production any Type 1 civilization (Kardashev scale) could manage. Up to you, but from how you do your mods I could see them being extremely cool and engaging for people like me who have a love for theoretical energy. (Siphoning off the matter of stars to create power sound awesome to anyone else?)
EDIT: A Dyson Swarm would be cooler then siphoning the matter of the sun to create energy actually.

EDIT 2: On the note of wireless energy transfer, there is a fundamental rule the energy can become matter and vice versa, so you could theoretically change energy to matter and from there transfer it.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hey Reika, never played your mods before but I've read up on them, and frankly I like your realist view on them. My question is, would you ever consider doing say a mod/add on to reactorcraft that is based upon plausible theoretical power generation? Things like Geothermal power (not the magic box kind but actually pumping water to magma pockets to create steam from this, (in a sense its renewable energy)
I have toyed with this idea, but implementation is a serious problem.

or you could get more futuristic with things like antimatter
And I would have no problem with this because it is theoretically possible, but you need a source of antimatter.

. Mostly I'm thinking power production any Type 1 civilization (Kardashev scale) could manage. Up to you, but from how you do your mods I could see them being extremely cool and engaging for people like me who have a love for theoretical energy. (Siphoning off the matter of stars to create power sound awesome to anyone else?)
EDIT: A Dyson Swarm would be cooler then siphoning the matter of the sun to create energy actually.
That is probably well beyond what is possible to do in Minecraft.

EDIT 2: On the note of wireless energy transfer, there is a fundamental rule the energy can become matter and vice versa, so you could theoretically change energy to matter and from there transfer it.
c^2 is an enormous number. It would take a ludicrous amount of energy: all the earth's absorbed solar radiation would generate about 1.8 kg/s.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Reika, never played your mods before but I've read up on them, and frankly I like your realist view on them. My question is, would you ever consider doing say a mod/add on to reactorcraft that is based upon plausible theoretical power generation? Things like Geothermal power (not the magic box kind but actually pumping water to magma pockets to create steam from this, (in a sense its renewable energy) or you could get more futuristic with things like antimatter. Mostly I'm thinking power production any Type 1 civilization (Kardashev scale) could manage. Up to you, but from how you do your mods I could see them being extremely cool and engaging for people like me who have a love for theoretical energy. (Siphoning off the matter of stars to create power sound awesome to anyone else?)

You would still need to develop a feasibly realistic electrical mod to move into extended end game. Sorry, shaft power alone wouldn't be realistic to into that direction. However, MC wouldn't be able to handle a realistic electrical system, let alone an average player.
We briefly discussed this in another thread.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Ehh true enough. You would need a huge mod to be able to create a energy system that would be complex enough to work with these ideas, then the implantation of them would be tricky at best. I'll still dream of the day I can set up a Dyson Swarm or perhaps even something that could harness the power of a quasar (though something like that would be beyond even a T1 Civilization, it would probably be a T3 Civilization that could handle that.) Well whatever, keep up the good work Reika.

Sidenote: It's not often that you find someone who understands what the Kardashev scale is.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ehh true enough. You would need a huge mod to be able to create a energy system that would be complex enough to work with these ideas, then the implantation of them would be tricky at best. I'll still dream of the day I can set up a Dyson Swarm or perhaps even something that could harness the power of a quasar (though something like that would be beyond even a T1 Civilization.) Well whatever, keep up the good work Reika.
The problem here is one of scale. How are you going to possibly harness that and make it not seem like the proverbial "ass pull"? Minecraft does not have stars, or quasars, or anything resembling space.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
The problem here is one of scale. How are you going to possibly harness that and make it not seem like the proverbial "ass pull"? Minecraft does not have stars, or quasars, or anything resembling space.
The end

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I was going for the more ... passive agressive approach to supporting cross-dimension RoC power transfer:
Don't make an ender shaft or a quantum anything.

Just - in minecraft - portals exist. And Steve, and railcarts, can be sent through portals. As such, its not hard to imagine that a shaft could be simply extended through a portal to couple gearboxes on either side. Now minecraft obviously does not let you place another block where a portal block is, so one would have to handwave away the one block 'jump' that the power needs (as well as rounding errors when converting from nether to overworld co-ordinates).

But, by ... acknowledging the existing dimensional portals there is no need to create a mod specific "magic" (even if wrapped in star trek style technobabble) way of transporting power between dimensions. Just require a portal from a compatible mod.

Reactions: midi_sec

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I was going for the more ... passive agressive approach to supporting cross-dimension RoC power transfer:
Don't make an ender shaft or a quantum anything.

Just - in minecraft - portals exist. And Steve, and railcarts, can be sent through portals. As such, its not hard to imagine that a shaft could be simply extended through a portal to couple gearboxes on either side. Now minecraft obviously does not let you place another block where a portal block is, so one would have to handwave away the one block 'jump' that the power needs (as well as rounding errors when converting from nether to overworld co-ordinates).

But, by ... acknowledging the existing dimensional portals there is no need to create a mod specific "magic" (even if wrapped in star trek style technobabble) way of transporting power between dimensions. Just require a portal from a compatible mod.
That I can live with.

Reactions: midi_sec

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
It's pretty much the same as an ender shaft if you think about it. By acknowledging the portal, you're acknowledging the presence of teleportation in minecraft thus acknowledging the ender traits. Only difference is its not a new shaft that is wireless/the transmitter and receiver. It's a simpler way to go about it I'll be honest I mean if you poke a stick (shaft) through a trans-dimensional portal you'll end up poking something.

So with my dimensional experiments, wind springs are viable if not extremely slow. Could reika buff it please? Both input and output if possible.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
What has an "ender trait" got anything to do with interdimensional stuff? ender pearls seek out an end portal. Ender eyes activate that.

But a nether portal is made with just obsidian and fire. There is nothing "ender" about the nether. If anything, the nether is anti-ender in trait (dim -1 vs +1).

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
An ender trait means teleportation, which means the transfer of energy or mass from one point to another instantaneously, just a personal hypothesis of course.

Ender pearls teleport Steve when thrown, ender eyes seek and activate the portal. The nether is a portal and when Steve goes through he is transported to another dimension.

Why does the nether portal use fire instead of ender pearls then? Because when the nether was developed to be 'minecraft' hell, anything ender doesn't exist at the time, fire+ another dimension = hell might be what notch was thinking at the time. Why didn't it change? Dunno, ask mojang.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Tokamaks work on real science and several are currently being built or in operation. The only reason fusion power is not yet widely used is because it has yet to break energy equivalence, though it is always getting closer.

This is worlds apart from "we energized the polarity of the transformed singularity quantum field zones to synchronize the diamagnetic boson streams" or whatever you would find in media where quantum-mechanical properties are exploited for "large tech".

Actually I think I read that they resonantly got it to go past the break even point. But only for a second or two.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Actually I think I read that they resonantly got it to go past the break even point. But only for a second or two.
The NIF breakthrough? They got a positive energy gain from the actual nuclear reaction, but they still expended far more energy to contain the plasma than was generated.

It's pretty much the same as an ender shaft if you think about it. By acknowledging the portal, you're acknowledging the presence of teleportation in minecraft thus acknowledging the ender traits. Only difference is its not a new shaft that is wireless/the transmitter and receiver. It's a simpler way to go about it I'll be honest I mean if you poke a stick (shaft) through a trans-dimensional portal you'll end up poking something.
Not as I see it. There is nothing inherently magical or teleport-like about the Nether portals. For technical reasons, that is how they function in code, but inside the game universe, they might as well be wormholes. And I am willing to treat them as such; energy concerns are no longer an issue as I am not the one generating the portal. This is distinct from an ender shaft, which would be functionally the same as an ender chest - i.e. magic.

So with my dimensional experiments, wind springs are viable if not extremely slow. Could reika buff it please? Both input and output if possible.
That is not what they are intended for. Buffing them upsets the balance of the charged tools.

Boccob

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't mind seeing a few more eldritch creatures. The one shown in the vid is cool. I'd also like to see some tentacles, and maybe some eyeballs showing up on blocks surrounding the player as he moves (like a ghost in the wall scenario).

You have one that eats lights, how about a different one that closes/opens caves, messing with navigation?

Once you get to the point where you can cut huge chunks out of bedrock, you should probably be able to handle a boss monster spawner.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I wouldn't mind seeing a few more eldritch creatures. The one shown in the vid is cool. I'd also like to see some tentacles, and maybe some eyeballs showing up on blocks surrounding the player as he moves (like a ghost in the wall scenario).
I will leave that to another mod.

You have one that eats lights, how about a different one that closes/opens caves, messing with navigation?
How would you implement that? It is not like the monster AI knows where caves are.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019

Once you get to the point where you can cut huge chunks out of bedrock, you should probably be able to handle a boss monster spawner.
One that opens and closes caves would suck. I get lost even in a cave with only an entrance and an exit.

Boccob

Jul 29, 2019
How would you implement that? It is not like the monster AI knows where caves are.

I'm not sure how feasible it would be, can you pathfind to the surface and block off openings with smaller radii?

One that opens and closes caves would suck. I get lost even in a cave with only an entrance and an exit.

It would suck a lot. Definitely an 'oh crap' moment.