An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
A good example of what I mentioned in my last post.

that's what i mean, though.

i know it's your mod, but if a tokamak at our level of understanding is fine to take into minecraft, why not walk in tesla's footsteps? it would keep to the "real" aspect and be a doorway to solving long distance power transfer.

we've only recently made fusion worthwhile to pursue, we've been transferring power wirelessly with resonance for a while. :)

Reactions: Not_Steve

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
that's what i mean, though.
i know it's your mod, but if a tokamak at our level of understanding is fine to take into minecraft, why not walk in tesla's footsteps? it would keep to the "real" aspect and be a doorway to solving long distance power transfer.
we've only recently made fusion worthwhile to pursue, we've been transferring power wirelessly with resonance for a while. :)
Tesla's "free instant wireless power transfer" is a myth based part on his fading sanity in his later years, part on extreme ignorance on the part of most of the public, and part "energy companies are hiding this to control the world!" conspiracy theories.

The simple fact is, while it is easy to transmit a signal wirelessly, transmitting power is extremely difficult.

Also, RotaryCraft is staying well away from anything electrical.

Reactions: Padfoote

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
he also hypothsized that the coils he did build (even the giant one pictured) was not nearly large enough to prove his theory, but yeah, chances are it doesn't work the way he had it in his mind...although it does "work"

making the transfer free would be silly and completely against the spirit of RC, where you never get something for nothing. what i'm saying is take his theory and reika'ize it. since the need for long distance power tends to be late game, losing energy in the transfer, even lots of it while converting from rotational energy to (something transmissible) and back to rotational sounds plausible to me. drivetrain power loss and all that.

short of that, i can't think of another "real" solution for transfer. at least a prototype of this has been built, unlike quantum entangled thingamawhatzits. :)

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
But that's what I'm suggesting, something to make dimensional transfer of RoC energy possible while still being distinctly rotarycraft. Yes like you said RF is the go between for that, with v16 and the fusion reactor I've made an array of magnestatics and tesseracts on my receiving end of the fusion reactor located in a myst dimension, but now that dynamos are nerfed too it would mean I have to make the same array on the producing side with dynamos.

This isn't so much a problem in SSP as I've built my fusion reactor on the overworld and used bedrock shafts (lots) to transport the energy to my base, but in SMP it could cause a problem you understand.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
But that's what I'm suggesting, something to make dimensional transfer of RoC energy possible while still being distinctly rotarycraft. Yes like you said RF is the go between for that, with v16 and the fusion reactor I've made an array of magnestatics and tesseracts on my receiving end of the fusion reactor located in a myst dimension, but now that dynamos are nerfed too it would mean I have to make the same array on the producing side with dynamos.

This isn't so much a problem in SSP as I've built my fusion reactor on the overworld and used bedrock shafts (lots) to transport the energy to my base, but in SMP it could cause a problem you understand.
i've been thinking about power converters to steam, into tesseracts, and reactorcraft turbines.

but that's cheating, untested, and likely dangerous :\

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
The API is there. An add-on to do what you ask could easily be made without breaking the fundamentals of RC.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
The API is there. An add-on to do what you ask could easily be made without breaking the fundamentals of RC.

haha, was waiting for that. yeah it's all there, but when i apt get free_time from this console at work it returns an error.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
If there was such an idea that fits, I would incorporate it into the mod proper. The issue at hand is that there does not seem to be one that does not violate either the "must preserve 3-dimensional power system" rule or the "must be realistic" rule. Breaking either of these essentially breaks RotaryCraft, and for that reason I have designed my API to allow me to "pull the plug" on such problem-causing converters (for example, a magic essence-to-shaft power converter, or a shaft power-to-RF-without-limit converter) and have them simply not receive/emit power.

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, I know you're really not okay at all with doing anything that is unrealistic, but how would you feel about someone like me making an addon that uses your power system and only your power system to aid people that dabble in magical mods like thaumcraft, etc.? Things that would generate AM2 essence or automatically destroy Thaumcraft 4 flux gas/goo, for example. Stuff that doesn't at all influence your mod and your progression, but instead uses your tech to aid in the arcane arts, not the other way around.

Hopefully that paragraph made some sense :p

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
-snip-
This is worlds apart from "we energized the polarity of the transformed singularity quantum field zones to synchronize the diamagnetic boson streams" or whatever you would find in media where quantum-mechanical properties are exploited for "large tech".
Agreed macro quantum mechanics is not going to happen in the forseeable future. Maybe in 150 years we may see small levels of this, but I highly doubt it will come even in this time.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
If there was such an idea that fits, I would incorporate it into the mod proper. The issue at hand is that there does not seem to be one that does not violate either the "must preserve 3-dimensional power system" rule or the "must be realistic" rule. Breaking either of these essentially breaks RotaryCraft, and for that reason I have designed my API to allow me to "pull the plug" on such problem-causing converters (for example, a magic essence-to-shaft power converter, or a shaft power-to-RF-without-limit converter) and have them simply not receive/emit power.

If something blatantly just made things easier, I could see an issue. However you should look at Future Tech as a possibility. The curve of invention is not linear. We now have almost += fusion reactors, ion engines for space travel (and working on nuclear powered ones,) computer chips woven as fabric that are nanos in dimensions. These are things found "not likely to happen in our lifetimes" in the late 80's.
True, running as shaft power, these ideas are not realistic, but the scientific mechanics are there in more than just theory for some of the things. Does it fit Rotarycraft? Not exactly. Does it fit an extreme endgame add-on on par or farther than Reactorcraft? Plausible if implemented correctly.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika, I know you're really not okay at all with doing anything that is unrealistic, but how would you feel about someone like me making an addon that uses your power system and only your power system to aid people that dabble in magical mods like thaumcraft, etc.? Things that would generate AM2 essence or automatically destroy Thaumcraft 4 flux gas/goo, for example. Stuff that doesn't at all influence your mod and your progression, but instead uses your tech to aid in the arcane arts, not the other way around.

Hopefully that paragraph made some sense :p
As far as RC is concerned, magic does not exist. A thaumcraft shard is a piece of rock, flux is purple dirt, and essence simply does not exist.[DOUBLEPOST=1393379873][/DOUBLEPOST]
If something blatantly just made things easier, I could see an issue. However you should look at Future Tech as a possibility. The curve of invention is not linear. We now have almost += fusion reactors, ion engines for space travel (and working on nuclear powered ones,) computer chips woven as fabric that are nanos in dimensions. These are things found "not likely to happen in our lifetimes" in the late 80's.
True, running as shaft power, these ideas are not realistic, but the scientific mechanics are there in more than just theory for some of the things. Does it fit Rotarycraft? Not exactly. Does it fit an extreme endgame add-on on par or farther than Reactorcraft? Plausible if implemented correctly.
Some things, yes. What has been suggested? No, not even close.

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
So it would be a problem then, if someone made a mod like that? I mostly ask because I think adding the realism ideas in rotarycraft plus the completely unrealistic but still fun magic mods like thaumcraft and ars magica 2 together could produce very interesting and fun results.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013

Clarke's Three Laws are three "laws" of prediction formulated by the British writer Arthur C. Clarke. They are:

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Clarke's Three Laws are three "laws" of prediction formulated by the British writer Arthur C. Clarke. They are:

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
...Did you read my signature image? I am no stranger to those quotes.

So it would be a problem then, if someone made a mod like that? I mostly ask because I think adding the realism ideas in rotarycraft plus the completely unrealistic but still fun magic mods like thaumcraft and ars magica 2 together could produce very interesting and fun results.
Yes, that would be a problem.

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
In that case, aside from the ore processing and such that you already have for ars magica and thaumcraft ores, is there any type of interfacing between rotarycraft and magic mods that you would be okay with? Where do we draw the line here? I really, REALLY think that they could interface in amazing ways, and it would really suck to not be able to distribute a mod that did something of that ilk, especially if I made it.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
...Did you read my signature image? I am no stranger to those quotes.
In on mobile so no I can't see your Sig but if you think about RoC interfacing with magic mods you could definitely put it under the third law

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
In on mobile so no I can't see your Sig but if you think about RoC interfacing with magic mods you could definitely put it under the third law
regardless what law it fits under, based on above it sounds like it will be broken via api if it's coded, released, and deemed out of bounds (arbitrary as the bounds may be, imo).

it sucks, but it is what it is.