An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

Geminicreeper

Jul 29, 2019
This would take the mod in a completely different direction than I want it to go, and would cause problems with pre-existing worlds.

Ok, well, thanks for responding!

One more idea, because it will bother me if I don't say it now. Traveling through portals takes you through the void into another dimension, right? What if portal travel came with a risk? (I swear, after this I will stop pestering you)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, well, thanks for responding!

One more idea, because it will bother me if I don't say it now. Traveling through portals takes you through the void into another dimension, right? What if portal travel came with a risk? (I swear, after this I will stop pestering you)

He would have to factor in every mod that affects portal travel. That's a bit much to ask.

Reactions: Padfoote

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
:O I've been waiting for this for SOOOOOOOOOO LONG! So glad that it's finished now. I hope it gets added to packs ASAP.

Geminicreeper

Jul 29, 2019
He would have to factor in every mod that affects portal travel. That's a bit much to ask.

Darn, I have to respond... :p It could be a lot simpler than you think. Any time a change in dimension occurs (only on single player, of course) there could be a chance of some encounter with the monster. Just so long as your code is open ended and only looks for a change in dimension, not a particular dimension ID.

Well, It's probably another useless idea by me, (? for 3!) but if THIS one is usable, that'd be awesome.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Darn, I have to respond... :p It could be a lot simpler than you think. Any time a change in dimension occurs (only on single player, of course) there could be a chance of some encounter with the monster. Just so long as your code is open ended and only looks for a change in dimension, not a particular dimension ID.

Well, It's probably another useless idea by me, (? for 3!) but if THIS one is usable, that'd be awesome.
What is "A change in dimension" in terms of code? Remember, what is easy for a human to piece together is not at all easy for the game. Case in point: You kill a pig, and its pork chops land on a pressure plate and set off TNT, killing you. Does the game know you died by your own actions? No.

Also, the "world" or game instance does not change at all when a player switches dimensions. Even if an event is fired - which I doubt - both dimensions are always loaded.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
You never cease to amaze us :)
It's true! My techy friend pretty much wants to just make a pack of nothing but Reika's mods at this point, it's kind of funny. While I'd have nothing to do with largescale technology (I really don't have much reason to build a nuclear reactor considering how little energy I really use/need), I still really like all the other non-tech mods! Don't expect I'll ever see any magic from this corner of the modverse, but that's okay. Still awesome stuff. :3

Reactions: NegaNote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It's true! My techy friend pretty much wants to just make a pack of nothing but Reika's mods at this point, it's kind of funny. While I'd have nothing to do with largescale technology (I really don't have much reason to build a nuclear reactor considering how little energy I really use/need), I still really like all the other non-tech mods! Don't expect I'll ever see any magic from this corner of the modverse, but that's okay. Still awesome stuff. :3
DyeTrees and GeoStrata are probably the closest I will be coming to a magic mod. That and perhaps parts of my upcoming civilizations mod. :3

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i had just momentarily forgotten about it. i remember reading "furry kingdom" and then thinking back to that strange girl I dated in college, makes me wonder what to expect lol...

if it makes you feel any better reika, i had to pry rotary craft from your hands on mc forums when it was beta. :)

Reactions: NegaNote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
i had just momentarily forgotten about it. i remember reading "furry kingdom" and then thinking back to that strange girl I dated in college, makes me wonder what to expect lol...

if it makes you feel any better reika, i had to pry rotary craft from your hands on mc forums when it was beta. :)
When was this? RC went public March 2013, for MC 1.4.7, and the last machine was the compactor.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Btw Reika, how exactly does this work on SMP? Does it create a void monster for each player, or does it attach to just one?

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Btw Reika, how exactly does this work on SMP? Does it create a void monster for each player, or does it attach to just one?
Just one. If that player dies, teleports, or logs out, it will find a new one; it does not "remember" the current target like most mobs do.

I would like to make it happen for every player, but the fact is, you would have 30 of them on one player.

Reactions: Eyamaz