Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Oh TE3, how are relationship is love/hate [or love to hate]. Got a nice surprise today, while upgrading my power plant fuel delivery system.

Here's how the power plant build progessed [in case the details will explain what occurred]. Started off with 5 Furnace gennys supplied by itemducts pulling from a cyclic assembler with a powered out. Upgraded to 10 gennys and a short time later, upgraded the itemducts to impulse. No real problems other than sometimes 1/more gennys would run out of fuel. Sometime later, I realized I could set the itemduct pulling from the CA to roud-robin mode...so I did [didn't notice any difference but didn't check either]. This is how the power plant has been running for some time.

Then I finally got together enough mats to switch over to a ME fuel delivery system. Hooked up a battery to keep things running up top and started dismantling the ducting. 11 ducts in total and when I popped the 7th...surprise! 10K+ blood slabs in my face [currently waiting [& praying] for them to despawn].

I really don't understand this. No loops in the ducts for them to get lost in. 2 rows with 5 gennys each. Ducting between each row separated by microblock covers, excepting one duct that connected the 2 rows. I think something went screwy when I set the output duct to RR mode.

Edit: With Tick running at over 1K ms, I decided to MCEdit delete all entities. Looks like the save never happened as re-entering the world restored me to a pre-entity explosion state. Hooked up a trashcan to the ducts and am removing them in the direction of the trashcan. Close call there.

Last edited:

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Started off with 5 Furnace gennys supplied by itemducts pulling from a cyclic assembler with a powered out.

Then I finally got together enough mats to switch over to a ME fuel delivery system. Hooked up a battery to keep things running up top and started dismantling the ducting. 11 ducts in total and when I popped the 7th...surprise! 10K+ blood slabs in my face [currently waiting [& praying] for them to despawn].

I think something went screwy when I set the output duct to RR mode.

Nope, that's just ducts for ya. They have an amazing internal capacity, as you found.

The issue comes from how, while not officially being an inventory, they can hold a quantity of items in transit. Also, unlike ME, which has P2P, import, export, and storage busses, in addition to a connecting cable between them, Thermal Expansion ducts function in all 3 modes with the same item: receiving/pulling, transfer (with that pesky "storage" capacity I mentioned), and delivery/pushing.

So while ME will say "I'll only pull/accept if I have a place to put", ducts will happily say "sure, I'll take that! I'll hold onto it while I figure out what do do with it!"

Add more ducks to the path, and they'll hold more items. So they kept pulling from the assembler, until both the destination inventories were full, as well as their internal capacity/buffer/transfer capacity. Thus, "stuffed ducts".

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that impulse itemducts have a higher buffer than regular, compounding your problem.

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, Had it running for a long time on the server and no angry zombies. went over to some friends, worked on bees, nuthin. I don't think it's rare, I think it's broken.

I'm runnin version 3.1.1 of the pack, I'm talking to my server host for an update, I have some FTB access, I'll see later if I can't manually update it and see what happens.

Yup, something's not right. My modest darkroom has provided almost 3 stacks o' brains so far.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, that's just ducts for ya. They have an amazing internal capacity, as you found.

The issue comes from how, while not officially being an inventory, they can hold a quantity of items in transit. Also, unlike ME, which has P2P, import, export, and storage busses, in addition to a connecting cable between them, Thermal Expansion ducts function in all 3 modes with the same item: receiving/pulling, transfer (with that pesky "storage" capacity I mentioned), and delivery/pushing.

So while ME will say "I'll only pull/accept if I have a place to put", ducts will happily say "sure, I'll take that! I'll hold onto it while I figure out what do do with it!"

Add more ducks to the path, and they'll hold more items. So they kept pulling from the assembler, until both the destination inventories were full, as well as their internal capacity/buffer/transfer capacity. Thus, "stuffed ducts".

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that impulse itemducts have a higher buffer than regular, compounding your problem.

Yeah, love to hate. What effect, if any, does setting the MaxItemsInStuffedDucts=0 have? I was looking up the variable spelling and I'm guessing this only applies to the single output duct [and probably only the connection, not the duct itself] and not the entire run. And since every TE3 duct issue boils down to user error I guess I was supposed to limit the stack size being sent out?

[Engage venting protocols]
I dunno...I think there's maybe 2-3 reasons why I continue to use them. There's relatively cheap compared to setting up ME early game. They wok well in situations were there's no chance of things getting stuffed. And they work with microblock covers. AE2 has facades [MC 1.7]. When we get modded 1.7 [AgS or whatever pack I'm playing], I think ducts will see very, very limited use in my worlds.

1stLineMC

Jul 29, 2019
I can't - for the life of me - get my quantum network bridges working. I have both setup with my tesseract power network. One is above the nether ceiling. Only the one in the overworld (on the controller side) has the particles in the link chamber. Both are lit (showing that they are powered). Both have ME Cables connected to them. The one on the nether ceiling has a cable connected to a crafting terminal, but it always says that it's not connected to the controller. There are no problems as they are listed on the wiki or discussed in the tutorials I've seen.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I can't - for the life of me - get my quantum network bridges working. I have both setup with my tesseract power network. One is above the nether ceiling. Only the one in the overworld (on the controller side) has the particles in the link chamber. Both are lit (showing that they are powered). Both have ME Cables connected to them. The one on the nether ceiling has a cable connected to a crafting terminal, but it always says that it's not connected to the controller. There are no problems as they are listed on the wiki or discussed in the tutorials I've seen.
Just because you haven't said, have you put a quantum entangled singularity pair (one in each) to link them.

EDIT: These: http://ae1.ae-mod.info/Quantum-Entangled-Singularity/

1stLineMC

Jul 29, 2019
Just because you haven't said, have you put a quantum entangled singularity pair (one in each) to link them.

EDIT: These: http://ae1.ae-mod.info/Quantum-Entangled-Singularity/
Yes. I actually found that my ME controller was too far from the quantum bridges.. I had a long line of cable in the overworld to connect my work areas, but for some reason the quantum bridge needs a controller to be fairly close to it for it to work.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. I actually found that my ME controller was too far from the quantum bridges.. I had a long line of cable in the overworld to connect my work areas, but for some reason the quantum bridge needs a controller to be fairly close to it for it to work.
Well, to troubleshoot that, perhaps a section of your cable to the bridge was being unloaded?
I've got my bridge two chunks over from my controller, but everything is chunk loaded and it works on the other end

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
If you can scavenge up enough resources, get a MFR grinder and a Thermal Expansion Reactant Dynamo. Build a standard mob tower (but doesn't have to be that high), use conveyor belts to drop the mobs into the central area for the grinder. Pump the Mob Essence into the Dynamo and put some gun powder in to get it generating RF. You'll now have a self powering Mob Farm that provides excess mob essence (I didn't bother storing it until I needed it) and mob drops. You'll just need a bit of power to get the grinder running first. I used a simple Survivalist Generator with some logs until the dynamo could take over.

I had that up and running long before my first Autonomous Activator.

That then gave me enderpearls at a fast enough rate for my needs. I then generated all the sand/gravel/dust from pulverizers which I kept manually sifting until I could get my first activator.

This is good. I re-read this and didn't realize you were burning mob essence until just now. I does have a flaw though [depending on your gameplay]. MFR Grinder will not collect mod-added rare drops [Mini hearts being an example].

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
This is good. I re-read this and didn't realize you were burning mob essence until just now. I does have a flaw though [depending on your gameplay]. MFR Grinder will not collect mod-added rare drops [Mini hearts being an example].
just to clarify: Grinder doesn't act like player entity when killing mobs, so items that drop only on player kills(mini hearts being an example) simply don't drop for Grinder to collect.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
just to clarify: Grinder doesn't act like player entity when killing mobs, so items that drop only on player kills(mini hearts being an example) simply don't drop for Grinder to collect.

Gotcha. So Grinder collects no rare drops? I was just pointing this out because I had found many conflicting infos when I researched what the Grinder may/may not collect. In fact, I believe the unofficial FTB wiki states the Grinder does collect mini hearts.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Gotcha. So Grinder collects no rare drops? I was just pointing this out because I had found many conflicting infos when I researched what the Grinder may/may not collect. In fact, I believe the unofficial FTB wiki states the Grinder does collect mini hearts.
why its unoffficial ;)

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Because we have four staff members and no one else contributing on a regular basis.

With all the peeps that post on these forums, why so few? I'm sure some would volunteer. Do you have a strenuous physical requirement to pass? Or is it the background checks?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
With all the peeps that post on these forums, why so few? I'm sure some would volunteer. Do you have a strenuous physical requirement to pass? Or is it the background checks?
good question good question!

It's because people, for some reason, think the unofficial wiki is the official one (even though it says "Unofficial" right at the top :confused:), they think that only staff can contribute (which is not true), and because some people just do not want to contribute.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
It's because people, for some reason, think the unofficial wiki is the official one (even though it says "Unofficial" right at the top :confused:), they think that only staff can contribute (which is not true), and because some people just do not want to contribute.
I thought only staff could contribute...:(