Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

RadioactiveSand

Jul 29, 2019
But why use shards? The candles work just fine and are easier to get.
Also, mob heads, as most not-grinder mob farms give you so many that it's silly.

From what I've seen posted around, candles give the least boost to reducing instability and crystal clusters give the most with skulls somewhere in the middle.

Big problem I have at the moment is RNG is against me with netherrack (for fire shards). I'm not producing it fast enough from sludge, don't really want to waste redstone on making a batch. Might have to visit the nether.... Hmm, a stack of redstone is looking more appealing...

Why not use blood magic to get fire shards (or any other shard, really)? One shard and one smooth stone gets you one infused stone of whatever type the shard was which you can then break with a fortune 3 pick and you'll have a surplus of shards in practically no time! Granted, you need at least a tier 3 blood orb and I forget how much LP each process uses. You can even automate the whole process with the automated alchemy ritual, a couple of autonomous activators and an igneous extruder.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've seen posted around, candles give the least boost to reducing instability and crystal clusters give the most with skulls somewhere in the middle.

Why not use blood magic to get fire shards (or any other shard, really)? One shard and one smooth stone gets you one infused stone of whatever type the shard was which you can then break with a fortune 3 pick and you'll have a surplus of shards in practically no time! Granted, you need at least a tier 3 blood orb and I forget how much LP each process uses. You can even automate the whole process with the automated alchemy ritual, a couple of autonomous activators and an igneous extruder.
And today I learned something. Thanks!

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
in the latest version of the pack, what do you have to unlock to access the soulsand for the hording quest? I had that quest in progress in 2.1.9, but now it's blocked.

As far as I can see in the crowded network, the soul sand from 2.1.9 is connected onto its smaller counterpart (just a stack) and then that's connected onto the digital storage quest (2nd one in)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, for starters you need a fire shard. That was my problem, RNG was against me and I wasn't getting any...
Secondly, not actually keen on Blood Magic, so really only doing the bare minimum with that.

In the end is was quicker for me to just make netherrack using redstone and lava. Less infrastructure and quicker than using BM.

As far as I can see in the crowded network, the soul sand from 2.1.9 is connected onto its smaller counterpart (just a stack) and then that's connected onto the digital storage quest (2nd one in)
The single stack is locked for me, but I've completed digital storage. I'll check digital storage, just in case there's anything odd in there.

Made a major derp last night. Oh, I know, I'll craft the 16M storage thingy from Extra Cells. Doesn't look too painful....
Watch my AE system run smoothly, crafting everything in turn, until I notice I'm out of redstone, and only 2/3rds of the way to the first tier of extra cells.

Next project, increase resource production :p

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Made a major derp last night. Oh, I know, I'll craft the 16M storage thingy from Extra Cells. Doesn't look too painful....
Watch my AE system run smoothly, crafting everything in turn, until I notice I'm out of redstone, and only 2/3rds of the way to the first tier of extra cells.

Next project, increase resource production :p
Hint: Bloodwood trees drop redstone on harvest, and a sapling, placed in the same place and bonemealed will always grow on the SAME 4 blocks, and can be harvested with a harvester. That's how I was running my redstone gens a while back.

Also, Blood Magic is really very useful on the map, especially as you've usually got spawners set up ready for it.

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hint: Bloodwood trees drop redstone on harvest, and a sapling, placed in the same place and bonemealed will always grow on the SAME 4 blocks, and can be harvested with a harvester. That's how I was running my redstone gens a while back.

Also, Blood Magic is really very useful on the map, especially as you've usually got spawners set up ready for it.
I think I will find somewhere to hang a bloodwood tree farm. Can use the extra wood for my charcoal production, running my main area off charcoal power (with a separate power network running off mob essence and lava in specific areas) but am slowly losing power as I'm expanding, plus in effect I'm burning my Oak Wood for charcoal, which slows down my hording quest (26k out of 100k... ouch), so I need to phase my charcoal production over to another wood source. Blood wood sounds like it would be perfect.

Would it be worth having a platform under the bloodwood tree? I notice that with normal trees you do get normal leaf despawning at times, so there are saplings/apples floating around that MFR hasn't harvested itself. Mustn't lose those resources! :p

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012

it's a pain to automate though, especially if you want all the slates which requires a separate altar for every tier, at least you can pipe LP around

so a T3/4 altar with all sacrifice runes to collect the LP and have it piped out, then a T1 with your blood orb for your network, then an altar for every tier with speed runes with interface with the patterns filtered import buses for the output.

and you need a separate ritual for each alchemy recipe

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I think I will find somewhere to hang a bloodwood tree farm. Can use the extra wood for my charcoal production, running my main area off charcoal power (with a separate power network running off mob essence and lava in specific areas) but am slowly losing power as I'm expanding, plus in effect I'm burning my Oak Wood for charcoal, which slows down my hording quest (26k out of 100k... ouch), so I need to phase my charcoal production over to another wood source. Blood wood sounds like it would be perfect.

Would it be worth having a platform under the bloodwood tree? I notice that with normal trees you do get normal leaf despawning at times, so there are saplings/apples floating around that MFR hasn't harvested itself. Mustn't lose those resources! :p
You can do. Given the sizes they grow to, I can't say that I'd bother. Simply placing one activator with saplings, and one with bonemeal (which, unless I'm mistaken, you are probably swimming in at this point), you soon have more than you will ever need. I think I had 4 or 5 singularities from just piping the wood straight into the condenser after a little while.

it's a pain to automate though, especially if you want all the slates which requires a separate altar for every tier, at least you can pipe LP around

so a T3/4 altar with all sacrifice runes to collect the LP and have it piped out, then a T1 with your blood orb for your network, then an altar for every tier with speed runes with interface with the patterns filtered import buses for the output.

and you need a separate ritual for each alchemy recipe
Doesn't need a vast amount of automation on the item level, I've found. I grab a stack of slates of each level, and another, if I get to the stage of needing them.

In my world at the moment, I have 3 T5 altars (interestingly, they can share edges, so 4 T5 altars only need 9 beacons, rather than 16). One is rammed with sacrifice and dislocation runes, with a well of suffering atop it, and a witch spawner (and slaughterhouses, for when I don't need them any more). That pipes LP out into the AE system. The second altar is filled with a combination of dislocation, speed and orb upgrades, and keeps my blood network perpetually charged. The third is dislocation and speed, with a hopper feeding into it, and an itemduct leading out, that's for crafting when I need it.

Once you get the dagger of sacrifice, make a villager spawner room filled with conveyors dropping them onto the altar, you never really lack for LP.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You can do. Given the sizes they grow to, I can't say that I'd bother. Simply placing one activator with saplings, and one with bonemeal (which, unless I'm mistaken, you are probably swimming in at this point), you soon have more than you will ever need. I think I had 4 or 5 singularities from just piping the wood straight into the condenser after a little while.
Sweet, tonights revised project, use my limited supply of redstone to get a bloodwood farm up and running, and expand my power generation. Plenty of Bonemeal in my AE system, plus once I complete the lettuce and tomato quests I'll have tons from my mob farm. Using the pulved skeleton bones with activators to grow toms and lettuce. Much faster than a normal farm.
That'll get me setup quite nicely for the liquid redstone quests too, which could eventually be a powersource.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet, tonights revised project, use my limited supply of redstone to get a bloodwood farm up and running, and expand my power generation. Plenty of Bonemeal in my AE system, plus once I complete the lettuce and tomato quests I'll have tons from my mob farm. Using the pulved skeleton bones with activators to grow toms and lettuce. Much faster than a normal farm.
That'll get me setup quite nicely for the liquid redstone quests too, which could eventually be a powersource.
My tip would be to make your platform, plant your first tree, and bonemeal it. That should tell you where the tree grows, and where to put your activators. It should always grow in that pattern.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My tip would be to make your platform, plant your first tree, and bonemeal it. That should tell you where the tree grows, and where to put your activators. It should always grow in that pattern.
Set it up, and it's amazing how fast it generates redstone and wood. Only bad thing is that I can't cook the wood to charcoal, and there are two types of wood, one of which is totally useless. Added 4 steam dynamos burning that wood directly and I'm still getting excess wood! More dynamos!

Totally unrelated to restone/blood trees, but to an earlier post, does anyone have an idea how to unlock the soulsand quest in the latest version? I can't see what's blocking it from being locked. Wondering if it's a bug?

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
What happens if you put the rood through a sawmill? Can the sawmilled planks be burnt?

For a while there was a bug where you could still, sometimes, get the drop if you sheered the leaf. So you could setup an AA with shears, a vaccume hopper, and a placer full of leaves and just get redstone.
Sawed bloodwood planks can be burned, but you get a better return by cooking the logs to charcoal and burning that.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Set it up, and it's amazing how fast it generates redstone and wood. Only bad thing is that I can't cook the wood to charcoal, and there are two types of wood, one of which is totally useless. Added 4 steam dynamos burning that wood directly and I'm still getting excess wood! More dynamos!

Totally unrelated to restone/blood trees, but to an earlier post, does anyone have an idea how to unlock the soulsand quest in the latest version? I can't see what's blocking it from being locked. Wondering if it's a bug?
Have you done the soulsand/glow stone/ender pearl quest? Otherwise there might be some other hidden way to unlock it.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! Aren't those trees wonderful? Especially paired with a magma crucible and the heated redstone generators. Both logs can be used as fuel, in furnaces or steam dynamos, but unfortunately neither will smelt to charcoal. I was planning to tell you that but fell asleep. :p

Sawed bloodwood planks can be burned, but you get a better return by cooking the logs to charcoal and burning that.

2 points...you end up with WAY more logs than you'll know what to do with, so converting to planks is unnecessary. Secondly, they're "fire resistant", so while you can burn them (steam dynamo fuel or furnace fuel), you can't "smelt" them into charcoal.

CleverLikeMe

Jul 29, 2019
I've looked around and keep finding conflicting information, so I apologize if this has been answered. I'm looking to start some mariculture, and I'm having an issue finding rutile/titanium. I'm running the latest (recommended) version, I cannot sieve limestone, sieving sand (or anything else) has not gotten me any rutile ore or nuggets. I do know that there is some in the nether, however I'm sure there must be some other way to obtain this stuff. Help?

CleverLikeMe

Jul 29, 2019
The odds must just be so low that it's causing you issues. Check NEI to see what the odds are, it could be 1 in 255.

I did think about this (and see the change noted). NEI does not list rutile in any form as a potential product from sieving sand, or from anything else. I checked all sieve recipes. Just as a practical test, I've had 3 autonomous activators sifting sand for quite some time. Long enough to net me about 10k limestone. Zero rutile in my AE system.

Thanks for looking though, haha :\

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I did think about this (and see the change noted). NEI does not list rutile in any form as a potential product from sieving sand, or from anything else. I checked all sieve recipes. Just as a practical test, I've had 3 autonomous activators sifting sand for quite some time. Long enough to net me about 10k limestone. Zero rutile in my AE system.

Thanks for looking though, haha :\
Rutile Ore (and the Nether version) is a common drop from the MFR Mining Laser, just fyi.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
From the reports, I believe zero messed up with adding rutile to sand, so it doesn't actually work >.<. And while jaded could fix it, I believe she is done with this, so you're either just gonna have to brave the nether or use laser drills.