Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
2x2 pond of water + buckets.
I've seen that sort of pond be depleted by automation. Smallest I've seen stable is 3x3, and with the new "water refills in the ocean" mechanics, probably a 2 deep would be better.

Heck, not in this pack, but I think rotarycraft can empty a 3x3 if you push it.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen that sort of pond be depleted by automation. Smallest I've seen stable is 3x3, and with the new "water refills in the ocean" mechanics, probably a 2 deep would be better.

Heck, not in this pack, but I think rotarycraft can empty a 3x3 if you push it.
I'm pretty sure he/she was joking ;)

null123

Mar 27, 2014
*sees that there is a 3.0.0 version of agrarian skies**throws phone to the ground and rushes for a computer*
This x999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

*Edited to reduce spaminess*

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Reading the way they number packs though, a 3.0.0 means that you may have to do a world reset

EDIT: Looking at the changelogs, it's because the Hardcore questing mod has updated
So, good news is it won't be a complete world reset if it is a reset, just redoing quests if something goes wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure this has already been answered in the thread, but this thread is freakin' huge now. But anyways, what size should I make my mob spawn rooms? I will be connecting up several rooms, each with their own auto-spawner. I plan on making these dark rooms as well as I never did set up a proper mob drop farm. I may set up one to spawn squids/ghasts. Any recommendations on sizing these to accommodate this? I know the grinders operate in a 5x5 area and is it 2 up and 1 down from where the grinder is situated?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure this has already been answered in the thread, but this thread is freakin' huge now. But anyways, what size should I make my mob spawn rooms? I will be connecting up several rooms, each with their own auto-spawner. I plan on making these dark rooms as well as I never did set up a proper mob drop farm. I may set up one to spawn squids/ghasts. Any recommendations on sizing these to accommodate this? I know the grinders operate in a 5x5 area and is it 2 up and 1 down from where the grinder is situated?
Grinder operates in a 2 up 2 down 5x5 area. So it results in a 5x5 cube with the grinder machine centered on one of the faces

Auto-spawners place the center of the monster in a 9x9 area with 1 up and down.
So for instance with the squids, you'll only need to make it 9x9, because there's no chance of them warping through the wall
But dropping them into witch water I'd want it a bit bigger, or have two-three thick walls just incase the squids get spawned on the very edge and then your ghast is in the wall.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Options for obtaining dirt En Masse?
A: Spam composting barrels (possible but not wanted)
B: Anything else..?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Options for obtaining dirt En Masse?
A: Spam composting barrels (possible but not wanted)
B: Anything else..?
Composting is a reliable, steady way of obtaining it. The alternative would be to set up a water/ender-thermic pump/ender quarry system to generate large pillars of it, and use something like a bound shovel to harvest it. It's doable, but takes a lot of work, and is continuous harvesting.

As far as I know, those (and sludge boiling, obviously) are the only methods of making dirt. It takes a LONG time, and should be set up as early as you can do it, for your own sanity more than anything else.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Composting is still your best bet, I guess.
For dirt I use 2 small jungle MFR tree farms. The first farm you setup like normal and use the overflow of saplings for the second tree farm. Second farm you set to shear the leaves. Now use the Vines, excess saplings (you still have extra) and leaves to compost. A simple itemduct network should do to fill and emtpy the barrels.

Also use the sludge from the harvesters in a sludge boiler for extra dirt and random things.

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
Getting a bit bogged down in the grinding somewhat. Been playing 2 man co-op and we now have a smeltery, enough crops to produce dirt en masse, cobble gens, lava production (via crucibles on lava) and are basically set. But in order to progress further, every task seems to involve significant luck with the RNG. I wanted to start some mycellium and get witch water for ender pearls, but had no luck sifting. An autonomous activator requires emeralds, also very much luck based. Even basic redstone is annoying to get.

We feel like we've hit a wall, any advice?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Getting a bit bogged down in the grinding somewhat. Been playing 2 man co-op and we now have a smeltery, enough crops to produce dirt en masse, cobble gens, lava production (via crucibles on lava) and are basically set. But in order to progress further, every task seems to involve significant luck with the RNG. I wanted to start some mycellium and get witch water for ender pearls, but had no luck sifting. An autonomous activator requires emeralds, also very much luck based. Even basic redstone is annoying to get.

I felt like there was enough going on at that point to keep me going. Sure, you were grinding for emeralds (the only thing you really need to get you going), but you are sifting that stuff anyway. Take a look at the quest book, see if there's anything you can do. Quest rewards are nice ways to break up the monotony of stuff.

Or go out and build a mob grinder (conveyor belts, if you can, water, if you can't) or start looking at automating your farms. There's a lot that needs doing, and the grinding tends not to last huge amounts of time.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019

It sounds like you haven't automated sifting yet. The Law of Large Numbers basically eliminates the 'RNG' of redstone, ancient spores, etc. For very early going, I'd prioritize an igneous extruder, while still working the manual cobble gen with a hammer to get gravel directly. Sift gravel like mad men until you have enough diamonds/emeralds for at least 3 Autonomous Activators, then start sifting dust for enough redstone for 3 pulverizers. Along the way you should have gathered enough iron and nickel to build a couple magmatic dynamos to power everything. You can create an automated sifting chain for gravel dust and sand (you won't need sand for too long). At that point, you can relax a bit, because the resources will start coming in steadily. Add more Autonomous Activators as you get diamonds/emeralds to speed the process. Before long, you'll be out producing a max speed Buildcraft quarry, and the fun can really begin =)

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

Just go for a single autonomous activator, set that up so that you put in what you want to sift, and let it auto-sift for you
As soon as you've got your first autonomous activator doing that, the "Grindy" feeling quickly evaporates
Work through it, and you'll be pleased with yourself

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the standard progression is to get the first activator on gravel, for more diamonds and emeralds. After that, you can start sifting whatever you want.