[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

dmtryzhkv

Jul 29, 2019
well i have a little question, bug or something i have no idea. i can't finish quest named "such a tool" i craft 3 wooden tool rods, 1 wooden binding, pickaxe, shovel and hatchet head, and it wont recognize it. and there is no "manual detect" button too. i don't know what to do. couldn't find any solution. didn't wanted to mess with hqm though. if anyone could help me with it that would be greate.

Vswe

Jul 29, 2019
well i have a little question, bug or something i have no idea. i can't finish quest named "such a tool" i craft 3 wooden tool rods, 1 wooden binding, pickaxe, shovel and hatchet head, and it wont recognize it. and there is no "manual detect" button too. i don't know what to do. couldn't find any solution. didn't wanted to mess with hqm though. if anyone could help me with it that would be greate.

Don't craft them with the TC approach, there are recipes for vanilla crafting, check NEI.

Weird, worked okay for me. I only tried it on grass I grew from bonemeal on dirt though.

Oh I thought you meant grass as in the green version of dirt, not the tall grass from bone meal. Got it to work, thanks.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
What do the stats on the plant seeds determine? (growth,gain,strength)
Growth makes it grow faster when higher.
Gain increases the amount of 'fruit' you get from the plant. Seems to give 1 extra item per 3 levels above base, so when it hits 4 you'll get 2, at 7 you'll get 3, and when maxed at 10 you'll get 4.
Strength I'm not sure of. I think it either increases resistance to weeds, which are currently disabled in the pack, or it increases the chance for the plant to spread to neighbouring empty doublecrops

Vswe

Jul 29, 2019
Played the pack for a few hours tonight and it was very fun and interesting. I completed the first set and got started with a few of the others. I probably won't play anymore, not because the pack didn't have more to offer (it really has) but rather due to time constraints. I did however peek a bit on the quests I never got to.

The way one approaches the game in this pack is very interesting and refreshing. The non-mining is executed perfectly; The early/mid game without any ores is a very nice approach that is carried through nicely with the quests. I liked how the quests were linked in the first set where they form some sort of mesh. This allows you to choose the order of the quests you do, but you still move in a specific direction. This works well since it feels like something you would end up doing if you ended up in that spot for real: try to get your new existence sorted out but you're too disorientated to have a linear plan. Another nice touch with the quests was the reputation that was given depending on the type of quest one completed.

However, after a while I stopped bothering about the reputation for two reasons. Firstly it didn't seem to matter for anything and secondly, I had no choice which quests to make so I couldn't focus on a bunch of quests if I wanted a specific reputation type. I could choose the order of the quests, not which one to do. This brings me to another point, sometimes the quest structure boiled down to just one quest to be completed (to unlock more quests or to get resources for other quests). I found myself, multiple times, just waiting for some plants to grow to complete that quest. Having some other quests to do in the meanwhile, either completely different in other sets or just some extra branches of quests in the same set, would be nice. I know I praised the mesh quest structure, but sometimes it lead to nothing to do (for instance when growing essence seeds).

I don't know if it's intended or not, but villages really breaks progression. I spawned in a village, and found two other ones nearby. In those villages I found tons of food, wood and tools, among other things. During my play-through I never had to produce any food, I simply used the ones already growing in the villages. If the villages are actually needed (for some specific material) I would recommend looking for another solution. The villages makes it so random if your game will be easy or not. Maybe it's not a concern though, I lived happily in a village.

Like I said, I peeked at the other quests and oh wow. The second set is just beautiful. It's aesthetically pleasing, the progression format seems very nice (I haven't played it) and I really like how you use three invisible quests to control some logic (won't spoil for what for others reading). I also found that you actually did use the reputation values for one quest and I suspect that you already plan on adding more quests like that in future updates. Regardless, it would be nice to give the reputations a bit more presence. Maybe have quests that are "optional" in such a sense that they aren't required in the normal quest line (for example getting some other mana generating flowers) but they yield some reputation. The reputation could then be required if you want to start another set of quests, or even let you start a set differently. For instance, if you have a lot Mechanist reputation you could approach the set from one direction while if you have a lot of Genetics reputation you can start it with a few other quests. Both starts would then lead to the same common quests later in that set. But again, you probably have plans for something with reputations already.

Anyways, all in all a really nice pack that is great fun to play. I'm looking forward to see what future updates may bring. This is definitely a pack to look out for in the future, it will likely become as popular as Agrarian Skies and Crash Landing.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
However, after a while I stopped bothering about the reputation for two reasons. Firstly it didn't seem to matter for anything and secondly, I had no choice which quests to make so I couldn't focus on a bunch of quests if I wanted a specific reputation type. I could choose the order of the quests, not which one to do. This brings me to another point, sometimes the quest structure boiled down to just one quest to be completed (to unlock more quests or to get resources for other quests). I found myself, multiple times, just waiting for some plants to grow to complete that quest. Having some other quests to do in the meanwhile, either completely different in other sets or just some extra branches of quests in the same set, would be nice. I know I praised the mesh quest structure, but sometimes it lead to nothing to do (for instance when growing essence seeds).

Reputation is very much something I'm still working on and how I want to use it. It's one of those features that has so much which can be done with it that finding a way that suits the pack is a bit daunting. Honestly at this point they're mostly being stuck on quests so they show up as completed properly (bug in HQM) while I muddle out what to do with them. In terms of side quests becoming available, there is a bit more of that in 0.5, with the addition of the "What the World Embraces" branch as a bit of a miscellania section covering things which don't really need to be in another branch.

I don't know if it's intended or not, but villages really breaks progression. I spawned in a village, and found two other ones nearby. In those villages I found tons of food, wood and tools, among other things. During my play-through I never had to produce any food, I simply used the ones already growing in the villages. If the villages are actually needed (for some specific material) I would recommend looking for another solution. The villages makes it so random if your game will be easy or not. Maybe it's not a concern though, I lived happily in a village.

Villages have been a common criticism I've been receiving. Originally I didn't disable them as there wasn't really any harm in leaving them - the pack wasn't necessarily meant to hardcore, so having plenty of food wasn't something I really considered progress breaking. As it was, the loot tables were tweaked so nothing particularly progress breaking was really easy to find, but things like some of the essences required to craft initial seeds are still obtainable through dungeon loot for those who might not want to play with the quests for some reason or another.
At this point though, I have taken on board the fact that they do break the theme a bit, and can certainly make a seed hit or miss for difficulty, and as such, they're disabled as of 0.5.

Like I said, I peeked at the other quests and oh wow. The second set is just beautiful. It's aesthetically pleasing, the progression format seems very nice (I haven't played it) and I really like how you use three invisible quests to control some logic (won't spoil for what for others reading). I also found that you actually did use the reputation values for one quest and I suspect that you already plan on adding more quests like that in future updates. Regardless, it would be nice to give the reputations a bit more presence. Maybe have quests that are "optional" in such a sense that they aren't required in the normal quest line (for example getting some other mana generating flowers) but they yield some reputation. The reputation could then be required if you want to start another set of quests, or even let you start a set differently. For instance, if you have a lot Mechanist reputation you could approach the set from one direction while if you have a lot of Genetics reputation you can start it with a few other quests. Both starts would then lead to the same common quests later in that set. But again, you probably have plans for something with reputations already.

The 3 invisible quests you mention are actually changed a bit in 0.5 - 2 of them are no longer and the other is now very visible and available from the start in the first set. This is partially due to what they did actually causing problems in terms of progression if you don't happen to kill an enderman or enderminy before finishing the rest of the tier 1 seeds, as the ender seeds are required to get into tier 2. The other side of my decision to make that logic more visible was also for lore reasons, allowing me to expand the idea of the player investigating what has happened to the world.
I do rather like some of your suggestions regarding the reputation though and may well find myself implementing some of them in the future.

nimO

Jul 29, 2019
How long does it take for the Mariculture ingot / block caster to cool off? The seared bricks did work perfectly but the molten iron is sitting there for mutliple ingame days. As I understood it, the temprature for iron is much higher than for cobblestone but does it really take this long?

Vswe

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly at this point they're mostly being stuck on quests so they show up as completed properly (bug in HQM) while I muddle out what to do with them.

I actually fixed that bug yesterday, so it should hopefully be released in a while.

MrPeach774

Jul 29, 2019
BTW you may want to disable the witchery hayman. It gave me so much wheat that I won't need food for a while. You may also want to disable agricraft's NEI integration so that you use the book and see analyzer and make experimenting with crop breeding more integral to the pack.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
How long does it take for the Mariculture ingot / block caster to cool off? The seared bricks did work perfectly but the molten iron is sitting there for mutliple ingame days. As I understood it, the temprature for iron is much higher than for cobblestone but does it really take this long?
That *might* only be fixed in 0.5. For some bizarre reason it looks like mariculture doesn't add its own casting recipes for iron, despite doing so for gold and other metals (go figure). I know I added a script for it at some point, but it looks like I didn't document it in my changelog so I can't remember if I did it for 0.4.1 or 0.5.

I actually fixed that bug yesterday, so it should hopefully be released in a while.
:D

On another note, I'm going to be without internet for the most part over the next few days. I'll maybe do a little work on 0.6 in that time, but for the most part development is going to slow down for a while.

nimO

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to obtain clay other than bonemealing grass and breaking it for clay?

You can find clay in oceans and on the beach as you would in normal MC. Also Botania has a flower which converts nearby sand to clay but i dont know if it works with the Red Sand Regrowth uses.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
You can find clay in oceans and on the beach as you would in normal MC. Also Botania has a flower which converts nearby sand to clay but i dont know if it works with the Red Sand Regrowth uses.
It does. Also, for anything requiring normal sand, you can make it from cracked sand and water.

As to fluxed crystals, it would be redundant due to magic crops' role in the pack.

0.5 should now be live on the launcher. If you encounter any bugs let me know.

Nox503

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to make the drafting compass and it needs a Flint Tool rod. I have tried doing two things, first putting a tool rod pattern and flint into the tinker's part table, and when that did not work I tried putting one flint on top of the other like you do to make the wooden tool rod and that didn't work. I tried looking up the flint tool rod recipe in NEI but it just shows the finished tool rod being used in the smelter. what am I doing wrong? Please help, Thank you.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
What version of the pack. A flint with a tool rod pattern in a part builder worked fine for me