Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
You're thinking of Apple... Just this year they've announced that they are thinking about moving a tiny portion of their manufacturing on-shore... As in Back to US soil.

Other than the part about making Windows 8, that is.
I don't know about the rest of Apple's lines but the Mac Pros (the round trash can looking things, lol) have been made in a factory by their Americas Operations Center here in Austin for about a year now. The factory making the Macs here in Austin is actually Flextronics, and not Apple. Also most of the guts of their computers are now being done in the Samsung factory down the street from there. That new Samsung factory is HUGE! A lot bigger than the one making Apple's computers. It pretty much dwarfs all the other business in Austin except IBM and Dell.

Last edited:
Reactions: midi_sec

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
....right. So they want to meet consumer demands in order to maximize profits, and somehow that means they don't care about consumer demands? That doesn't sound like a very good company.

The flaw of corporations versus non-corporate businesses can be summed up as follows.

A non corporate business is usually investing its own money (partnership, individual, etc. -- people with direct ties to the loss, if any), and takes different risks than a corporation, which is generally investing someone else's money. Or more accurately, the corporation has a few people responsible for deciding how to invest a pile of money provided by someone else, with those few people having no direct ties to the loss, if any. They might be straight employees, or they might own a fraction of one percent of the shares.

The flaw of consumer demand or not is slightly different. While this is often attributed to corporations, it is not.

One school of business -- the "good" one -- says, "Lets find out what people want, and then make it". This is generally (but not exclusively) the small craftman type of business.

The second -- the problem, generally regarded as corporation -- says "Lets make something, and then see if people will buy it".

The second can make 2000 units, and try to market it across 100 million people if the advertising is cheap enough -- and if they can sell all 2000 units, they're happy. In doing this, repeatedly, over many cycles of business, the general rule of "Cut Corners, do it cheaper" has turned out to be the winning strategy because there is no real disclosure of what was "cheapened", generally no alternative if the customer wants something slightly different or slightly better, and no legal requirements for anything more than the minimum.

A business of this type does not care what the general consumer/customer wants. All they care about is being able to identify something that some people will want, and then say "Here it is, come and buy it". They don't have to look for customers, nor really figure out exactly what is wanted as long as they can be close.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
The second -- the problem, generally regarded as corporation -- says "Lets make something, and then see if people will buy it".

The third and most obnoxious one is "Let's make something, and then force people to buy it" (cf Windows 8).

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
So, from all of this I have reached the conclusion, worst case scenario, we stay on modifying 1.8 forever. Which is actually kinda nice.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The third and most obnoxious one is "Let's make something, and then force people to buy it" (cf Windows 8).

You mean "Let's make something that people can choose to run on hardware of their choice and see if they buy it" (Microsoft)
-as opposed to-
"Let's make something and convince people they need it, then force them to pay triple-value for the only hardware they can run it on" (Company named after a Fruit)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Naah, he means "Lets force manufacturers to pay us for each unit sold, weather or not our software is on the unit sold".

(Hmm, I think that's the wrong weather.)

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
You mean "Let's make something that people can choose to run on hardware of their choice and see if
"Let's make something and convince people they need it, then force them to pay triple-value for the only hardware they can run it on" (Company named after a Fruit)

That must be Blackberry :pXD

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
If we stay on modifyed 1.8, Microsoft has no reason whatsoever to let the "continued abuse of it's IP" happen.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
They"ll do it regardless of size or sales- it's standard practice to enforce an IP as much as possible, because otherwise it's more difficult to restrict it in the future.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Seeing that one link re: youtubers and thinking that means all is good for microjangsoft gives me thought. Not that it's right, but it's a step in the right direction. Anything can happen. We could have a good arrangement here or a bad one. I think the pessimistic thoughts bounding about are good to have. At the same time we could be wrong which would be a good thing. I agree tho, that it is probably the tipping point that required me to not be as worried as I was initially, when no word was coming out of redmond. I think now I will play a wait and see attitude till something else comes up to either change my mind or confirm my original thoughts.

If they touch modding and other things along those lines tho. All bets are off. My pitchforks are at the ready.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
So, from all of this I have reached the conclusion, worst case scenario, we stay on modifying 1.8 forever. Which is actually kinda nice.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion...

The worst case would be Microsoft updating the official launcher requiring us to stay up to date, taking down all third party launchers/the ability to use them, sending cease and desists to modders/forge, and releasing paid DLC/Expansions that are ripoffs of mods we already have as the only form of non-vanilla content.

Having all of that happen is unlikely, but having some of it happen is a possibility. If they want to turn the game into a steady income, it makes perfect sense to stop modders and custom content.

Last edited:
Reactions: boborene

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion...

The worst case would be Microsoft updating the official launcher requiring us to stay up to date, taking down all third party launchers/the ability to use them, sending cease and desists to modders/forge, and releasing paid DLC/Expansions that are ripoffs of mods we already have as the only form of non-vanilla content.

Having all of that happen is unlikely, but having some of it happen is a possibility. If they want to turn the game into a steady income, it makes perfect sense to stop modders and custom content.

So you mean, may end up like the way things are on consoles atm, games that seem to with hold or even removing content to later (2 months) to sell as a dlc.

One notable upcoming game is selling the first 4 dlc's as part of its collector edition, & its been noted by many the the said upcoming game lacks content, One of the big players like MS would never stoop to such a low level to make large sums of cash now would they!

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
One of the big players like MS would never stoop to such a low level to make large sums of cash now would they!

The thing the scares a lot of people about this deal is that MS has messed up in the past. To me, with Nadella at the helm, it feels like a fresh start and I personally am willing to wait and see what they do with Minecraft itself.

There's really only one deal killer for me at this point, and it has to do with their stance on youtubers. They won't make Let's Plays for free, but they'll sure make free videos to darken MS's PR futures :p

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, at least it wasn’t EA :p

Overall, we font really know what’s gonna happen, Microsoft issued a statement saying youtubers will not be affected, and many of them, such as direwol20 and the yogscast use mods, so this could be a sign little will change.