Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but..... that's almost EVERY career.

If you stop to think about it, in the Air Force, his future was even more emphatically dependent on things he could not control.

Things like Sidewinder missiles for example.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

Thanks for understanding where I was coming from.

I'm ex military, I left on my own volition, and do I regret it? Sometimes. So I can empathize with the guy.

edit: Bebop's signoff in that video is the worst. It's heartbreaking because you can tell he's trying to be upbeat, but it shows through. :\

Reactions: Protocurity

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
apologize to the forum rules, not me bro.

nobody wants to see that crap.

Yet, they still would...but only in St Louis.

too soon?
That dude in the clip needs to apologize to notch. Notch owes him nothing. I have not called anyone specifically out in this forum. I'm not worried.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Careful we aren't allowed to insult people that aren't even members of this forum.
Nope.

That dude in the clip needs to apologize to notch. Notch owes him nothing. I have not called anyone specifically out. I'm not worried.
The dude in the clip does not post on this forum. You do.

and you don't need to be worried. those kind of posts just disappear.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That is my greatest fear on the matter. Microsoft isn't a person, or even a "people" at this point. It is a gigantic, bureaucratic, economic force of nature that is powered by the sweat of Indians and the tears of Chinese children. And as such a monster, the decisions it makes aren't necessarily logical ones as much as they are the product of independently operating departments with minimal communication and miles of red tape. Remember: this is the same creature that made Windows 8.

But right now, though I am extremely nervous about this update, I'm trying my best not to worry. I figure I'll get scared once things actually start going wrong.

You're thinking of Apple... Just this year they've announced that they are thinking about moving a tiny portion of their manufacturing on-shore... As in Back to US soil.

Other than the part about making Windows 8, that is.

ChatFawkes

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, I'm going to go play while you guys do whatever it is you are doing, anyone care to also forget about these woes and just have some fun?
I'm doing the exact same thing. 1.7.10 just recently got stable, people should stop worrying and go play some with some mods :p

Reactions: Eyamaz

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, I'm going to go play while you guys do whatever it is you are doing, anyone care to also forget about these woes and just have some fun?

As I said earlier, the sky is not falling, it just a new day and we need to see what it brings. A port to a more stable programming language and code cleanup I can see being done (VS C#/C++) and being a benefit to us all. Just relax people.

Now I am off to do the opening bar shift at uni.
#8AMBarOpening :p

Reactions: RedBoss

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
@Flipz Well said.

Even with all of the tech mods we run, there is no room in FTB for one of these:

INTERNETHATE.jpg
Then what's that dusty old thing sitting in the corner?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Also, can people please read up on the difference between C++ and C#? It is a mile wide.

C# and Java are actually a lot closer together then C# and C++. C# is also a language that runs on a virtual machine as opposed to C++ which runs on the bare bone hardware.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
C# and Java are actually a lot closer together then C# and C++. C# is also a language that runs on a virtual machine as opposed to C++ which runs on the bare bone hardware.
Exactly ("managed C++" excluded, does anyone use that?). Modding a C# Minecraft should be a lot like modding Java Minecraft and much easier than modding a C++ Minecraft, minus any "code security" measures of the .NET framework that I'm not aware of.

The bigger problem is that Java is cross-platform by purpose and its reference implementation is maintained by Oracle for all major platforms, while .NET is only officially available for Windows, with Mono filling the gap for other platforms more or less successfully. And of course, once you develop on a platform only targeted at a single OS by the maker, it's tempting and easy to throw in references to native libs that can't be reproduced on other platforms.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
While theoretically a port to C# would be something that MS might consider, I'm not certain how feasable this is given that the current dev team is still working on Minecraft and all of them are Java devs. Having all of them switching to C# is not an easy thing to do. Besides, this port would be a rather big undertaking.

Perhaps it is something they are considering. But I have my doubts.

ThinkSlow

Jul 29, 2019
If they use C# as a port for Minecraft,

Can they not use LUA as a scripting language still for modding?

I know some games have LUA for scripting, and was written in C# (Kerbal Space Program being one of them).

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Well, two points: isn't the Xbox edition already C#?
Also we'll have to see how many of the Mojang devs will actually stay at Microsoft (as opposed to using the probably guaranteed-employment transition period to look for a new job). They'll probably have to change their style of working a lot if they do.[DOUBLEPOST=1410856619][/DOUBLEPOST]
If they use C# as a port for Minecraft, Can they not use LUA as a scripting language still for modding?

I know some games have LUA for scripting, and was written in C# (Kerbal Space Program being one of them).
I wouldn't think so, because Lua isn't a Microsoft product, and not based on .NET. I'm sure they have a preferred scripting solution there (it might even be possible to compile and run C# code on-the-fly).