Jul 29, 2019
"King Lemming liked your post"
best-day-ever.jpg

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
:p
Yous sound like a menacing villain in a movie. "It will be"

In honor of Star Wars day ("May the 4th") I have to correct this...

That was Yoda, to Luke in "Empire Strikes Back", just before he enters the cave and tells Yoda "I'm not afraid". Yoda says "You will be".

Reactions: Ldog

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Magic 2 and Tech 2 are basically Monster clones with either tech or magic mods removed.
Magic World 2 has WAY more magic mods than Monster...
Why setup a rail system with tank carts when I can run nearly free opaque fluiducts
Everyone that has looked at my rail systems has said something along the lines of "wow, that looks really cool. it's super inefficient!" :p Rail systems are also way more fun to set up IMO.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro

Everyone that has looked at my rail systems has said something along the lines of "wow, that looks really cool. it's super inefficient!" :p Rail systems are also way more fun to set up IMO.
I think you would make good friends with etho :p

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019

A link to said rail system would have been welcome :)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
But not any RF compatible storage device.
Then...hook it up with a single length of cable? I'm failing to see the problem, here. Course, it may be because I never hook power generation directly into my storage cells, it always goes by way of cable.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
RF and TE are not the same thing. RF can indeed have loss over distance. The point of RF is that it's a freeform API and allows people to work on a common system quite easily. It's a lot like the fluid API. That's why RF is a great thing. People are conflating the two because TE is an example of how to use it, unlike other systems where the power API was inextricably tied to the main mod which added it.

The Fluid Api is great. Different fluids have common properties. The abstraction lets us transport different fluids in the same pipes. Store them in the same tanks and containers. Very convenient for mod authors and it even have some effect on the players in the sense that it is easy for mod authors to add that compatibility.

But the fluids themselves are never really compatible. No player expect the ability to fill Conduits with BuildCraft Oil. You can't create a Tesserract with Seed Oil. Combustion engines don't run on Melted Emeralds. You can't turn Blood into BuildCraft fuel. A common Api is convenient for the mod authors, but it doesn't always affect the player.

The BuildCraft Api is arguably easier to use than the RF api, but it does mean that you get BuildCraft power and not a variation of it. The Api tries to enforce a unified feel for BuildCraft power regardless of how it is produced, how it is transported, or where it is used. The player should be able to recognize it and be able to learn how to use it across all mods that have it. I'm surprised to that you actually want it to go in the opposite direction for RF power.

The BuildCraft Api was also open once and it created a small jungle of different MJ power variants. Riddled with bugs and strange behaviors. We'll see how long RF will survive if mod authors actually start to implement their own set of rules.

The first author to have loss in RF will probably be slaughtered by the community, but I guess it could work if it was different enough. "Lupus Flax, anyone?"

Hmm, maybe it is about time we get the opposite of loss. Make cables that have an amplifying effect instead. Just make the cable long enough and a tiny generator can power your mining operations. :D

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
The BuildCraft Api was also open once and it created a small jungle of different MJ power variants. Riddled with bugs and strange behaviors. We'll see how long RF will survive if mod authors actually start to implement their own set of rules.

The bugs and strange behaviors were basically caused by the fact that the BC power API was equal parts obtuse and absurd at the time. People were overriding classes to achieve what they needed to, and even the primary maintainers of BC didn't get it right. And that's not a slight against them at all, it simply emphasizes how bad the API actually was. RF doesn't have that issue - it allows people to do what they want without resorting to any sort of overrides or hackery. BC never did that.

Yeah, it's a bit of an experiment. Worst case, somebody is going to come out with a bunch of generators that produce infinite power constantly and cost a dirt block. Except then nobody will use them. Or, if people do use them, that's their choice. Welcome to the Sandbox, SandGrain. ;)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The first author to have loss in RF will probably be slaughtered by the "community", but I guess it could work if it was different enough. "Lupus Flax, anyone?"

You can say that again, but allow me to fix the 'community' part for you.
Sadly this is needed as RF [as we know it] currently lacks any real gameplay in terms of design/engineering challenge- and adding such mechanics [like energy loss/melted components/engines with startup/cooldown ect] would just be labelled as tedious.

If it was different enough it still wouldn't work - as everyone would just turn it off or use a lossless cable, or it'll be too different to be classed as RF power.
Hmm, maybe it is about time we get the opposite of loss. Make cables that have an amplifying effect instead. Just make the cable long enough and a tiny generator can power your mining operations. :D

You'll get everyone spamming cables for 'free powah', then demanding a 'compact cables' mod as placing that much cable is 'tedious' and 'laggy'...

Actually while we're on the subject of design ingenuity and engineering challenges- I'd love a modpack based around building your own solutions, rather than a bunch of magic blocks with all the answers on a silver platter...

eashonk

Jul 29, 2019
More and more I get the feeling that FTB is its own worst enemy. The drama seen on their pages is a result of their own doing. This whole thing is a prime example. There was no need to make this announcement. It really doesn't do anything except start this overblown overreaction in the community. Everyone wouldn't have been any the wiser until AFTER they had played the packs, until AFTER you had released them. I mean, you aren't going to change your minds, right? So, what's the point, other than getting people all up in a frenzy for no reason.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
More and more I get the feeling that FTB is its own worst enemy. The drama seen on their pages is a result of their own doing. This whole thing is a prime example. There was no need to make this announcement. It really doesn't do anything except start this overblown overreaction in the community. Everyone wouldn't have been any the wiser until AFTER they had played the packs, until AFTER you had released them. I mean, you aren't going to change your minds, right? So, what's the point, other than getting people all up in a frenzy for no reason.
If they didn't tell the community, the community would flip out over "keeping us in the dark". I don't think you were around for this*; it was the pre-weekly news days when this happened.
* nevermind, just checked, you have been around a while :p

Status
Not open for further replies.