FTB Horizons - General Feedback Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Emasher mod (whatever that is) adds some seriously junky blocks, one of which is Limestone (red sandstone is another). You can't make stairs with them, slabs, or anything besides the basic block and xxx Brick. For such a limited block, it takes up too much space under ground. I am probably missing some non-decorative use for this block, but if not, yuck.

Emasher Resource adds various ores and other resources to the game. All ores have retrogen, can be disabled, and their generation can be fully customized. The ores are for the most part, standard ores that you will find in most major mods. They might have fancy names, but they're all ore-dictionary-compatible with the ores, and ingots from other mods.

doesn't seem to add anything special really that you might need for Engineer's Toolbox. I'd just disable the mod, or turn off the generation of the junk blocks if you want to keep it enabled...

Ars Magica... all I can say is "wow what a mess". So. Many. Resources. I know this modpack isn't an example of a "real FTB" modpack to come, but I gotta say that I would never put Ars Magica in a tech-heavy modpack.

Ars Magica 2 is still a big WIP mod, but as always people kept complaining that it wasn't getting released, so Mithion released it, with the obvious result that alot of things are still useless, unbalanced or not working correctly...

Pam's... I want to make a bacon cheeseburger.

I hate mods like Pam's... it just adds sooo much, I've no idea where to begin with and it wasn't like I didn't got enough food without it. though it's helpful for those who like to play hard/hardcore and are in real need of early food.
so it's nice for those playing hard/hardcore, but for others... I don't know

Farlanders (I think that's right) and their huts+Ender Golems are way too common.

I don't like Farlanders... it doesn't add really interesting, just some mobs with similar trading systems as with villagers and some pretty ugly world gen in my opinion...

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
doesn't seem to add anything special really that you might need for Engineer's Toolbox. I'd just disable the mod, or turn off the generation of the junk blocks if you want to keep it enabled...

Ars Magica 2 is still a big WIP mod, but as always people kept complaining that it wasn't getting released, so Mithion released it, with the obvious result that alot of things are still useless, unbalanced or not working correctly...

I hate mods like Pam's... it just adds sooo much, I've no idea where to begin with and it wasn't like I didn't got enough food without it. though it's helpful for those who like to play hard/hardcore and are in real need of early food.
so it's nice for those playing hard/hardcore, but for others... I don't know

I don't like Farlanders... it doesn't add really interesting, just some mobs with similar trading systems as with villagers and some pretty ugly world gen in my opinion...

Limestone can be used for slickwater which in turn is used for a husher. I believe limestone may also be used in the kiln

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I still think many of you miss the point of why I put this modpack together this way. Horizons was an endeavor to showcase many mods that I felt needed some attention as being really good mods and should be brought to the attention of more members of the community.
The initial list I made was HUGE, and I slowly cut through it to something that showcased as many new (or revamped) mods and was still playable from both a players standpoint and a server operator's.
A pure "balance" was not a forefront of concern with the few balances I did being to try to ensure a decent explorabilty of each of the mods included.
I do intend on doing a complete balance to the pack, but that's something "special" and optional that will be included in time.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Is it just me, or is there ridiculous FPS lag with Horizons? With Unleashed I was getting around 15fps (I know, its a piece of crap) - just about playable once you've gotten used to it. In Horizons, I was getting about 0.5fps. It should go without saying, impossible to do anything with. Is there a way to rectify it?

Perhaps the biggest advantage of horizons is that I can now add metallurgy to the other 1.6 packs.

Speaking of metallurgy: I remember the FTB saying for the longest time they weren't going to add it to any packs, but now they have. What's the deal with that?

Reactions: Flipz

rienk17

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoy the pack good job and I'm running it on a low spec computer so thank you guys for finally making a 1.6 pack :)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Is it just me, or is there ridiculous FPS lag with Horizons? With Unleashed I was getting around 15fps (I know, its a piece of crap) - just about playable once you've gotten used to it. In Horizons, I was getting about 0.5fps. It should go without saying, impossible to do anything with. Is there a way to rectify it?

Perhaps the biggest advantage of horizons is that I can now add metallurgy to the other 1.6 packs.

Speaking of metallurgy: I remember the FTB saying for the longest time they weren't going to add it to any packs, but now they have. What's the deal with that?

Don't keep anything typed in the NEI search bar or scan through the pages often. NEI went down a worse path to fix the lag when searching recipe uses.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I still think many of you miss the point of why I put this modpack together this way. Horizons was an endeavor to showcase many mods that I felt needed some attention as being really good mods and should be brought to the attention of more members of the community.
The initial list I made was HUGE, and I slowly cut through it to something that showcased as many new (or revamped) mods and was still playable from both a players standpoint and a server operator's.
A pure "balance" was not a forefront of concern with the few balances I did being to try to ensure a decent explorabilty of each of the mods included.
I do intend on doing a complete balance to the pack, but that's something "special" and optional that will be included in time.

This is awesome to hear, as at the moment I'm having a lot of fun with this pack and setting up systems and machines I've never tried before

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
For those complaining about Emashers Limestone.. realize this, you need limestone bricks to make a kiln, which you use to make quicklime which is used in multi smelter to combine quicklime with ore dust to double the output, send that into a centrifuge to triple ore output. Also limestone is used to make slickwater which is used to mine with the husher module, with quicklime and no power you can mine all but obsidian. Add a pressurizer and some power you can mine obsidian too.

So do your research before you call a block useless :p

Reactions: Redweevil

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
For those complaining about Emashers Limestone.. realize this, you need limestone bricks to make a kiln, which you use to make quicklime which is used in multi smelter to combine quicklime with ore dust to double the output, send that into a centrifuge to triple ore output. Also limestone is used to make slickwater which is used to mine with the husher module, with quicklime and no power you can mine all but obsidian. Add a pressurizer and some power you can mine obsidian too.

So do your research before you call a block useless :p

well, seeing as I never played with emasher's mods I guess it's to be expected I'd call it useless. plus I'm playing with Chisel aswell, which adds limestone aswell, and the only use for that is aesthetics :p

just a bit of a weird suggestion for me, if you know how to do it, try loading the horizon instance through the vanilla launcher and see if that helps any. because for me, the fps difference between playing with the ftb launcher and vanilla launcher is huge.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Don't keep anything typed in the NEI search bar or scan through the pages often. NEI went down a worse path to fix the lag when searching recipe uses.
Didn't make any difference unfortunately. At least I'm going home tomorrow so I can use my PC rather than my crappy laptop :)

just a bit of a weird suggestion for me, if you know how to do it, try loading the horizon instance through the vanilla launcher and see if that helps any. because for me, the fps difference between playing with the ftb launcher and vanilla launcher is huge.
I don't know how to do this.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm finding it a little annoying that I need steel to make Thermal Expansion machines. I know how to make steel with TiC, but I don't think TE can make it and it seems a bit odd for it to require a material that it can't make. I started out by wanting to make a Magma Crucible to make lava for my TiC smeltery. But, I needed lava to make the steel to make the machine to make the lava. Fortunately there was a volcano not too far away. What other method is there of making steel? I haven't started to look at Engineer's Toolbox, Metallurgy, or any of the other tech mods yet. I have two or three different kinds of steel that I've found in loot chests.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
I'm finding it a little annoying that I need steel to make Thermal Expansion machines. I know how to make steel with TiC, but I don't think TE can make it and it seems a bit odd for it to require a material that it can't make. I started out by wanting to make a Magma Crucible to make lava for my TiC smeltery. But, I needed lava to make the steel to make the machine to make the lava. Fortunately there was a volcano not too far away. What other method is there of making steel? I haven't started to look at Engineer's Toolbox, Metallurgy, or any of the other tech mods yet. I have two or three different kinds of steel that I've found in loot chests.
Actually, some mod in there adds a recipe where you just re-smelt iron ingots. It's mostly just a slight annoyance at that point.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
In the BoP config, most of the biomes appear to be disabled. Is this deliberate? And, when are these settings used? Does it affect both BoP worldgen mode and ATG mode?
Read somewhere that most non-BoP biomes are not generated by the algorithms from BoP but they are still found in the BoP configs. Afaik when you see them set to "=0" it isn't actually meaning they are disabled, but it has to do with how the world gen weighs the different biomes(how often they appear).

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, some mod in there adds a recipe where you just re-smelt iron ingots. It's mostly just a slight annoyance at that point.
Interesting, will need to test that. But Manganese and Iron combines in a TiCo smelter to make steel. NEI is your friend

arnHH

Jul 29, 2019
How do you spawn Roguelike Dungeons? Do I have to change the config file? Does it require a special world gen?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I made roguelike dungeons spawn rare. Setting them to use the natural spawn makes them use the village spawn algorithm and litterally littered the landscape with them. With the fact that you can get lapis blocks easily in them, they needed to be toned down.
The steel recipe was ment to balance TE against rotarycraft a bit, but will be being switched back in the next update since it unbalanced TiC a bit (easy steel tools.)

Status
Not open for further replies.