FTB Horizons - General Feedback Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabeuk

Jul 29, 2019
I made roguelike dungeons spawn rare. Setting them to use the natural spawn makes them use the village spawn algorithm and litterally littered the landscape with them. With the fact that you can get lapis blocks easily in them, they needed to be toned down.

Apparently you turned off the spawning of the dungeons completely, according to the modder :

doNaturalSpawn=true
  • If set to false you will have no roguelike dungeons spawning in your world. You will need to manually spawn them in.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently you turned off the spawning of the dungeons completely, according to the modder :

doNaturalSpawn=true
  • If set to false you will have no roguelike dungeons spawning in your world. You will need to manually spawn them in.

Yeah, I miss understood how it was explained. Will be fixed in the update.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
While I haven't specifically played the Horizons pack, I have tried some of the mods used in it for another project. So here's my thoughts on what I have tried:

ATG: Beautiful, fun. I really like this one. It's Volcanoes put everyone else's to shame. However, I did have problems getting it to play nicely with other worldgen mods over a long period of time.

Biomes O Plenty: Also fun. Adds a lot of blocks/items that have no purpose beyond decoration. Can make certain tasks too easy or too hard, which can be a concern for a more focused/goal-oriented pack. Still needs more development given the significant number of builds it has undergone without a stable/recommended release. I look forward to the realization of a stable Biomes O Plenty + ATG world.

Ender IO: I was hesitant about this mod initially, but it is very nicely configurable and does everything it tries to do well. Uses similar modded ores (copper/tin/etc) which makes it very easy to balance its entry point with other mods.

Farlanders: I love this mod. Maybe it's all the nostalgia regarding minecraftforum fiction written about encounters in the Farlands, but it just seems like a proper addition or natural extension of Vanilla.

Gany's Nether, End, Surface: Very practical and brings a lot of fun little touches to the game where each bit is configurable and plays very nicely with other mods. It's like someone made dozens of useful little mini-mods and got them all working together happily. If I do more with modding, this is the approach I'd want to emulate.

Metallurgy: I only tried this on one world, so it deserves more of a fair shot considering all the stuff it does.

Pam's Harvestcraft: Fun, but so much stuff! It was too much for me for what I do. But that'd be quite appropriate in an "All the things" kind of environment where more is more. It's all shaped/shapeless recipes, so it will work very well with various auto-crafting solutions. Have you tried to make all the pie?

Roguelike dungeons: These are brilliantly executed. But then I love dungeon crawling games like Rogue. The only problem I had was the same as mentioned. They're pretty big and spawn pretty frequently. So I opted to make them more rare and smaller to help with performance and "conquerability". Eyamaz (or anyone else that wants it), try this if you want similar:
Code:
levelScatter=12
levelMaxRooms=10
spawnFrequency=20
levelRange=40
doNaturalSpawn=true

Thaumcraft 4: Very different from TC3. I like what they did with the wand. Not really a huge fan of the taint stuff, but could learn to live with/deal with it as it seems there's more powerful tools available for handling it. Not really my thing, but then TC3 wasn't either. Like Pam's, good for an "All the things" kind of environment. Or maybe a polluted wasteland type server with the right texture pack or settings in Biomes O Plenty. Seriously, doesn't it weird anyone else out that the only mod that does industrial pollution well is a magic mod??

Utility Mobs: FatherToast has a lot of fun mods and this is no exception. Build yourself an army of various golems to protect your stuff or build turrets like tower defense games. They can even be configured to recognize your friends and kill your enemies.

Armor Status & Status Effects: I love having information so I love having these. While I could see how someone might complain how they might be slightly immersion-breaking, but so are minimaps and such. It's convenient to know how long an effect will last and how much durability is left on your armor/tool without having to open your inventory or squint at a damage bar.

Artheos

Jul 29, 2019
Moonstone Meteors... Consider turning the terrain damage off on those.

Edit: Part of AM2

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanEsh

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I seem to be spending lots of time standing around waiting an inordinately long time for crops to grow. I have four or five village farms converted over to a mix of vanilla and Pam's crops and they are only just keeping me away from starvation. It's a little bit ridiculous that five farms can't keep me easily fed.

*EDIT* Wrong thread! This was in regard to Magic Farm 2.

Last edited:

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to be spending lots of time standing around waiting an inordinately long time for crops to grow. I have four or five village farms converted over to a mix of vanilla and Pam's crops and they are only just keeping me away from starvation. It's a little bit ridiculous that five farms can't keep me easily fed.

If your using berries try combine them with sugar and a juicer. Default Harvestcraft crops don't feed you for much but combine them into new recipes and theyll feed you for ages

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
You have to cook the food into meals to gain much hunger/saturation from them.

beauedwards1991

Jul 29, 2019
I love blood magic, it's extremely powerful if done right. Nice flashy rituals, too. ATG adds a bit more sense to the world, but it can be difficult to find a nice flat area without cracking out the trusty old shovel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
the fact that ther is no trade-o-mat mod has made a huge set back for a map i am making but all in all a pretty great modpack

john shaw

Jul 29, 2019
how do you get roguelike dungons to spawn i have create several creative world and look everywhere no luck in finding them

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
the fact that ther is no trade-o-mat mod has made a huge set back for a map i am making but all in all a pretty great modpack

Gany's Surface adds a block called a Market, which is apparently very powerful for selling/buying items.
http://ganys-surface.wikia.com/wiki/Market

how do you get roguelike dungons to spawn i have create several creative world and look everywhere no luck in finding them

There should be a command to manually spawn them in, but the current config prevents them from spawning normally. Earlier in the thread I listed a decent config for generating smaller dungeons about half as often as a village can generate, but the doNaturalSpawn=true line is what you need for them to generate. You can turn them back on in your existing world and they'll spawn in newly generated chunks.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Gany's Surface adds a block called a Market, which is apparently very powerful for selling/buying items.
http://ganys-surface.wikia.com/wiki/Market

There should be a command to manually spawn them in, but the current config prevents them from spawning normally. Earlier in the thread I listed a decent config for generating smaller dungeons about half as often as a village can generate, but the doNaturalSpawn=true line is what you need for them to generate. You can turn them back on in your existing world and they'll spawn in newly generated chunks.
can it have infinte trade?

Optibane

Jul 29, 2019
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Magical Crops! This is a great addition to the pack, and I really like it as an alternative to quarrying (and other automated mining methods) as well as mob/xp farms. Because of this, I'm guessing it eases server load a bit too.

I'm hoping to see this included in more packs in the future! Any chance this will be packaged up with Monster, or is the mod list pretty much set now?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know how common metallurgy ores are (that is, the one's that aren't replaced by other mods)? I've looked at the configs, but they're aren't entirely helpful. I understand what 'max/min height', 'vein size' and 'veins per chunk' are, but what are 'vein chance' and 'vein density'?

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
My impression so far: Too many mods which are too busy and add far too little.

Agriculture, Pam's Harvest, Gany's (all), Metallurgy, just to name a few. All of them add a metric buttload of new stuff, but absolutely no reason to use any of it. I get that it is interesting to have different kinds of food, different processes of making it, or different metals. But having it to just have it without some reason (a revamp of the hunger mechanic, etc) it is just poor mechanical fluff that is too annoying to have to deal with. If they do have anything interesting to bring to the table it is, at most, one or two interesting mechanics which in no way justifies the plethora of cruft that comes with it.

I'll grant I have not touched most of the mods, but that is mainly because finding reasonable documentation which isn't more than 50% incomplete is a chore. So far out of the core set that have been included I have had need, or desire, to dabble in JABBA (ok, but I was never a fan of barrels though the dolly is bloody brilliant!), BetterStorage (dislike), BetterChests (Passable, but with TE's Strongboxes and Iron Chests in other packs...), EnderIO (meh, one or two machines are ok, I won't miss them, however). The rest either falls into unappealing (RotaryCraft/ReactorCraft), poorly documented (ESmasher's stuff, Engineer's) or I've not run into an overriding desire to look at.

Let me say, I'm not against new, or different mods. I get the idea of the mod pack as a whole. It is an awesome idea. Heck, I generally don't do standard modpacks in SSP because I like a particular blend of core mods without duplicating cruft coupled with mods I found interesting from the FTB's Forums "Suggest a Mod" topic. Just these mods, outside of the staples, are leaving me almost uniformly cold.

A few preemptive responses.

1. "Disable the mods you don't like..." - I am playing this pack on an SMP server w/guildmates and is run by someone else. Their server, their mod choice, I have little input into the matter.
2. "Play another mod pack..." - I do. In fact right now I am playing Vanilla 1.7.x with my wife (just got her into Minecraft) as well as ShneekeyCraft 1.2.6 from ATLauncher. This is what my SMP peeps decided to try, so I tried it with them.

3. "If ya don't have anything good to say..." - All of the above is my opinion on the mods in the pack and should not be construed as a comment on anyone else's preferences. The topic is soliciting feedback on the mods in this pack. Not all feedback is gonna be positive, but all constructive feedback, positive or negative, should be valuable to those soliciting the feedback.

Reactions: Flipz

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Well, to be fair, I don't think we're expected to play this modpack beyond a bit of testing and experimentation. There are new 1.6.4 modpacks out there (Lite, Magic World, Tech World (names might be inaccurate), so... yeah play a different modpack :D

Status
Not open for further replies.