More news about FTB's Future. (Important announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
"

FTB arn't selling out they still care about their player-base over everyone else, if the sponsors don't like that im pretty sure slow or nanna or anyone else wouldn't have a problem telling them to go bye bye. You seem here to be saying that because they are a business they are instantly "we need more sales, release packs quickly, get more money", i'm going to ask you now have you ever made yourself a modpack? Do you know how long it takes to make the pack work together? I also want to know How many times have you played with a mod and it break just by itself?, to me it sounds like you have never done these 3 questions and don't understand how much effort actually goes into these packs, they arn't made in a few hours and quickly slapped together. Almost all packs take week's and week's of creation and alpha testing before released as beta's and that is commitment. I guess what i'm trying to say here is this may be a business but im fairly sure slow or anyone else don't plan to become millionaires off it and thus except it might just be a few £'s for the pocket, they don't really care if a sponsor starts getting whiny about not enough players because at the end of the day they can just say "ok, then leave". This project never started out to make money, and i don't think it ever truly will.

Your interpretation of what I was saying isn't accurate. It's often necessary to evaluate things in context, which you clearly didn't do.

stamgast

Jul 29, 2019
i think its a good idea nothing will change for the " users" and if that wont change than it doesn't Mather what you guys do . the people who moan the loudest. against it will be the first people who buy something mark my words.

Yatekko

Jul 29, 2019
I fully support this! I'm looking forward to supporting some of my favorite mod authors and getting my hands on some of that swag xP

Edgars7363

Jul 29, 2019
First of all I have to say that I love the FTB, it's team and always will love them for their efforts to creating such amazing content for all of us. But over time I feel like everyone forgot what FTB actually means and I want to remind everyone what it is. FTB stands for Feed The Beast, feed the beast that was originally a monument that that had to be 'fed' thing to progress with the monument.I saw Feed The Beast as a few dudes that got together over the internet to create a map to challenge themselves with their mod knowledge, but what do I see now? I see THE LAUNCHER as their main thing, that contains modpacks and many of them, Feed The Beast was originally a single modpack that could Only be used with the challenge map (it had a certain mod that disabled the world generation when generating a normal world so the worlds became all void) now there are multiple modpack which aren't bad don't get me wrong but in the pre-launcher times to even get the Direwolf20 modpack you had to sit for at least an hour JUST downloading the mods then you had to follow Direwolf's instructions on How to Install the modpack and that gave you a challenge of proving your self a worthy fan to play the modpack but now just launch the launcher smack play and you're in! In the pre-launcher times this tough process would sort people into two categories of the dedicated fans who would copy every single step of dire and the people who just watch the videos. Even now look that the website, the artwork, great artwork of general world with tech mods but no resemblance of Feed The Beast, of what it truly is. In the old days I have felt like I'm part of a group of special people who have similar interests to me and that made me feel special, the group where I could easily chat to the creators as though there were my buds, but now I feel like I'm part of a population, a race of FTB lovers with the admins as someone barely reachable like the prime minister. An example example of that is slow's stream where some time ago he would respond to nearly every message anyone would send but now due to the amount of them most messages are skipped :( . And now Feed The Beast is becoming a business and opening the merchandise store with t-shirts, not much of Feeding The Beast process is it?? All I'm trying to say is that in my eyes you're going in the wrong direction, this is no longer the Feed The Beast it once was and with this move you disappointed me. Thanks for the attention :)

Edgars7363

Jul 29, 2019
but what do I see now? I see THE LAUNCHER as their main thing,
And even in this post slow states
This is sacrosanct. The launcher is the heart of FTB and we have no intentions of doing anything that forces anyone into actually paying for anything.
yes the launcher is pretty important but that's not what Feed The Beast was based upon. I really hope that at least someone will agree with me on this.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
First of all I have to say that I love the FTB, it's team and always will love them for their efforts to creating such amazing content for all of us. But over time I feel like everyone forgot what FTB actually means and I want to remind everyone what it is. FTB stands for Feed The Beast, feed the beast that was originally a monument that that had to be 'fed' thing to progress with the monument.
They're still making a new Feed the Beast map, by the way. It's just that they're completely redesigning it from the ground up (partially, I'd bet, because of the lack of RedPower, on which the old map heavily relies). So it's taking a while. But they've always intended to release a new FTB map and a corresponding modpack, and that hasn't changed.

Honestly, it sounds like you're just annoyed that FTB got popular...

Jimiwb

Jul 29, 2019
I think you will find no lack of supporters here, I like and support FTB because of the ethics and respect shown by Slowpoke and gang.

Good luck and thank you.

mangos

Jul 29, 2019
Ads on the site are fine with me, as long as they have no sound, and little (preferably no) animation. Ads on the launcher, though - that would be really obnoxious.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I'll just point out, slow said
adding a second sponsor onto the FTB launcher

There is already an "ad" on the launcher. The little thing that says creeperhost. I'm pretty sure the idea is to add something else like that. Not something obnoxious.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I'll just point out, slow said

There is already an "ad" on the launcher. The little thing that says creeperhost. I'm pretty sure the idea is to add something else like that. Not something obnoxious.
You beat me to it, lol. Glad I noticed there was another post before submitting my reply.

So yeah, I bet the most you're going to see on the launcher is another little logo next to the Creeperhost one that's already there. No moving ads or anything.

Wourghk

Jul 29, 2019
Even in-game adverts would be a no.

So anyone worrying that FTB will become Pay to Play, micropayment based or otherwise "sell out"- stop. It can NEVER happen.
Don't be so sure. Ever notice that FTB intro screen when you fire up Minecraft from the launcher?

What if they injected an advert there, and you had to sit through that every time you start? Slow was very specific about the launcher staying generally free from obtrusive junk, but he didn't say anything about the game itself. Pardon my fear of double-talk and sly intentions, but any time I'm involved with anything that has to do with money, nothing can be safely taken for granted.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Don't be so sure. Ever notice that FTB intro screen when you fire up Minecraft from the launcher?

What if they injected an advert there, and you had to sit through that every time you start? Slow was very specific about the launcher staying generally free from obtrusive junk, but he didn't say anything about the game itself. Pardon my fear of double-talk and sly intentions, but any time I'm involved with anything that has to do with money, nothing can be safely taken for granted.
That doesn't make any sense, even from a pure marketing standpoint. They'll lose tons of ad revenue when people give up on sitting through that ad and start exporting the instance to MultiMC instead.

torirox011

Jul 29, 2019
Some people may be upset about this but FTB is a very good game that i enjoy almost every day, i hope this brings in enough revenue for more frequent updates for packs and also gives Mod Dev's the determination to update things better, very excited for this update, good job :)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012

In the long run plans always change, but we would never intentionally skirt the truth like that in an announcement.

Wourghk

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't make any sense, even from a pure marketing standpoint. They'll lose tons of ad revenue when people give up on sitting through that ad and start exporting the instance to MultiMC instead.
That doesn't stop advertisers from continuing to operate in spite of work-arounds like AdBlock Plus and NoScript. ABP does completely remove YouTube adverts, FYI.

So how in the world do they justify it? I'm pretty sure there's more to marketing than you're pretending to know.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

It's a loading screen. That's all. Putting an ad there would also violate mojangs ToS I believe. So you need not worry about that.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
It's a loading screen. That's all. Putting an ad there would also violate mojangs ToS I believe. So you need not worry about that.

Not to contradict you about the ad part, but it is literally a gif that plays before the game starts. There isn't actually any loading going on while it runs.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Not to contradict you about the ad part, but it is literally a gif that plays before the game starts. There isn't actually any loading going on while it runs.

Are you sure? I was pretty sure it still went through the startup process the same way as when the Mojang title.png is displayed. I did know it was a .gif though.

Status
Not open for further replies.