More news about FTB's Future. (Important announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
As long as A the adds are kept small, unintuitive, and out of the way and B NEVER APPEAR ON THE LAUNCHER. I'm ok with it. If they do put it on the launcher you can be sure that someone will make or mod a version that will. And that will probably be the eventual death of FTB.

Neil_50437

Jul 29, 2019
What makes my opinion split is along the lines of what Enigmius is saying.
I've devoted thousands of hours to helping the support side of things for FTB. The minute it becomes a product, I will be expected to provide a level of support I'm not ok with. Volunteering my time to a not profit group is one thing. Volunteering my time to a for profit business is completely different, and I don't think I can do that.
Same here not sure what I think of this but what can we do?

Tzukasa

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds good. I don't think anyone would have a problem with a t-shirt store where you could buy ftb shirts if you wanted. I've been wondering for awhile now, as things have been growing, if you could keep it going as a volunteer project. I think having a shop for shirts and stuff is a good way to ensure that the mod pack support keeps going. And I don't see how anyone could object to this, so long as you guys stick to the launcher and packs being free (legally I don't think you could charge for mods anyway seeing as how you don't own the actual game that the mods are changing).

Wourghk

Jul 29, 2019
The money goes to PR for FTB staff? Well, that's a step in a pretty uncomfortable direction for me.

So, you know... I'm pretty sure I can live without the launcher.
I use it to grab packs with compatible configs, which are very handy, but if animated ads and pop-ups start showing up on a launcher for a game I paid for, it's not worth the trouble dealing with a third party.

Neil_50437

Jul 29, 2019
Come on, you don't see that happening? With the demand for t-shirts and merchandise, there is going to be at least some profit. I'm just saying it should go towards charity, and not funds for PAX or other conventions of the sort.
No I see the money going back at FTB and all the people supporting it.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Come on, you don't see that happening? With the demand for t-shirts and merchandise, there is going to be at least some profit. I'm just saying it should go towards charity, and not funds for PAX or other conventions of the sort.

Coming in, guns blazing, assuming you know exactly what's up, is a real fast way to make a lot of people not like you.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I don't really care if people like me or not.

Look at what happened to Greenwolf. "The internet" may not mean much to some people, but what you say and do now can and probably will effect you in the future. I'm done with this discussion.

bobthemathcow

Jul 29, 2019
I, for one, (and it seems the entiretyof the replies agree) believe that this is a great development for the FTB pack, and I think that the merchandise will get excellent sales.

Kyrinon

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that this is a great change. it is a change, however, and will require the FTB team to handle things differently now that it will be in a business framework but i am not worried about there ability to keep there focus on the whole purpose of the game/mods. if you need reassurance all you have to do is look at there history or just the way that this transition is being handled. Keep up the great work you guys, you have my full support. :)

Joe

Jul 29, 2019
First got to say that I'm sorry that I'm not in a financial position to support FTB or the mod authors.

Sponsor and advertising worries me though. Anyone remember when youtube didn't have ads. I'm sure when they added an the first ads, they said to themselves "Hey, it's only 15 second add".
Now I can't watch youtube without 3 or 4 ads and each can be minutes long.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're moving forward in a sensible way which should be a good thing for you guys and us users of the modpacks, good luck and thanks for keeping us in the loop :)

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
From a legal point of view, it would be near impossible to "sell" the mod pack. They'd have to completely re-write the mods to work independently of Vanilla Minecraft, and even then the remnants of the mod packs may include fragments of legally iffy code. Even in-game adverts would be a no.

So anyone worrying that FTB will become Pay to Play, micropayment based or otherwise "sell out"- stop. It can NEVER happen.

DIMentia

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think anyone reasonable could have a serious problem with this solution.

I think that modpack/launcher promoters (who shall remain nameless... forevermore) have done a certain amount to poison the well a bit, but this is a needful thing and it's being done above-board.
Thanks for the info and I support your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.