More news about FTB's Future. (Important announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly felt a bit terrified when you mentioned "minimal advertising". Advertisements on the forums would ruin the experience that we got going on here. At least for me. I wouldn't mind if it would only be on any other sites.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki team is preparing to recruit more members. ;)

Watch the forums for the next few days for updates.

fingersome

Jul 29, 2019
This can only be a good thing. I am sad to hear about jaded leaving, but i'm encouraged that FTB is still moving forward.

Philiquaz

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've put together, this is what we're looking at:
Selling merch is fine. Maybe look into some less expensive ones for the poor of us.
Ads on the website are fine, as long as they are not popup, huge, floating div etc. But it's an absolute no on the launcher, it seems.
Many people are understanding of the need for this money. Some have a problem for some unknown reason.

Jirajha

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the idea behind this is fine for me. Money is needed. You have server costs for the page, spent and spend a lot of time and effort to make these awesome things possible.
FTB Modpacks are fairly one of the best modpacks I've ever seen in most of the games, maybe just behind HL2's Garry's Mod and complete Skyrim Overhauls with up to 10GB+ of Dataspace.
From now on I will disable my adblock for you to support you for your advertisements.
But I should note one thing that really cares me: Pop-Ups.
Don't implement them. I'm okay with like banners at top, bottom or the side of the homepage and that is fine for most of the people in this comments.
But the time I see a Pop-Up Window or Overlay I will re-enable AdBlock. Even if it will provide a bit more money then just banners this is something i personally hate.
And I think there will be many people feeling the same aswell.
Normal Advertisement is pretty okay for me.
What I think you should add is a "Supporter Account Status" with a special Forum Badge around the Avatar and beeing uncaged from advertisements but with a price of a few dollars for 30 days. Special Beta-Events could also be thinkable. I'd really like to do this from time to time if that won't be too expensive.
Money from this could go (even a part) to the mod developers.

Cieronph

Jul 29, 2019
"
Sponsors and merchandising partners don't care about what mod devs you've got in your stable or how hard you had to fight to keep them there. They care about the size of your playerbase, how loyal that playerbase is, and whether it's growing/shrinking/stagnant. Giving the players the short end of the stick will hurt the bottom line whether the money is coming directly from them or not.

FTB arn't selling out they still care about their player-base over everyone else, if the sponsors don't like that im pretty sure slow or nanna or anyone else wouldn't have a problem telling them to go bye bye. You seem here to be saying that because they are a business they are instantly "we need more sales, release packs quickly, get more money", i'm going to ask you now have you ever made yourself a modpack? Do you know how long it takes to make the pack work together? I also want to know How many times have you played with a mod and it break just by itself?, to me it sounds like you have never done these 3 questions and don't understand how much effort actually goes into these packs, they arn't made in a few hours and quickly slapped together. Almost all packs take week's and week's of creation and alpha testing before released as beta's and that is commitment. I guess what i'm trying to say here is this may be a business but im fairly sure slow or anyone else don't plan to become millionaires off it and thus except it might just be a few £'s for the pocket, they don't really care if a sponsor starts getting whiny about not enough players because at the end of the day they can just say "ok, then leave". This project never started out to make money, and i don't think it ever truly will.

Stephen Dunne

Jul 29, 2019
I can't see this being an issue at all .. great to hear infact :) I was just thinkin when i saw the other post with the signed T-SHIRT ... "where could I get me one of them t-shirts" ..lol .. cant wait till the shop opens :D

Also ... Has anyone got the opportunity to test the new MC snapshot ..OMG its awesommmmee!

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
I appreciate how specific you were about exactly how you plan to get money and exactly where that money is going to go. I feel like this is a wonderful step and I hope it blows over well with the people who don't like it. Good luck and keep up the good work!
and that's part of the reason so many support this: its precisely laid out, and is being done to keep FTB going. its not a money grab, and its not a "hey, were adding this shop, you now gotta buy access"

on the paid access thing: congrats on keeping this F2P. also, we already bought access in that we had to buy minecraft in the first place.

im ok with this as long as the marketing isn't in my face (which I doubt it will be)
maybe at some point ill toss a few dollars your way.
#supportFTB

Reactions: Flipz

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
I have no view one way or the other tbh.
much in the same way I would have no view if Tekkit anounced this.

Far more concerned over subjects like modders leaving the scene etc. Things that directly effect me.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Hundreds of hours invested into creating an experience I get to enjoy for free? Check.
A business strategy that earns money in a considerate and unobtrusive way? Check.
Me, utterly baffled as to why anyone could have a problem with this? Check.

Could someone please do an ELI5 on how this could rationally be considered a problem?

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
As long as the mod authors are fine with it, I'm fine with it. You guys deserve some compensation for all the hard work you're putting in. Opening the store up to the mod authors as a place to sell some swag is a nice touch, and makes it much easier for us to send a few bucks their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.