More news about FTB's Future. (Important announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
sounds perfectly fair. and just as long as you give credit and equal opportunity to all the mod devs involved it should be a win-win situation for anyone involved
I dunno, it sets kind of a weird precedent for FTB to start paying mod devs in order to use their mods.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Good for you guys. Keep it up.

As someone who runs his own business I'm in full support. Your time has value.

RowdyScot

Jul 29, 2019
I see no issue with this in the least. All of the modders work so hard for nothing, as do those who run FTB itself. Anything that can go to make it easier to run for them is well-deserved. Besides, T-SHIRTS! :D

Melifluous

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck in all your endeavours, hope you can enjoy fiscal remuneration whilst providing the same, free top notch (sic) service.

theknot

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is a no-brainer. You're not charging for mods, you're taking monies to cover costs associated with distribution. Bandwidth/server space isn't free. End users are all still free to download the mods from other sources if they wish and on top of that they're not being charged a cent for FTB. The obvious win for the mod developers has always been exposure. Win win win.

Good luck moving forward FTB!

herbycanopy

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly...
"People will never ever be asked to pay to use the FTB launcher, to download any mod pack or for any updates."
If you ever did that would be both against Mojangs TOS and the Laws of the USA...as a new owner you might need to know little things like that...lol.

Also, why should we buy products for a company that has yet to update in the past 4 months since 1.6.x came out? (Should we expect FTB to be months behind after every update?

Though the idea to let mod makers sell products are nice because then it makes it even easier to support those guys...they are the only reason MC is such a great game!

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Also, why should we buy products for a company that has yet to update in the past 4 months since 1.6.x came out? (Should we expect FTB to be months behind after every update?

Slaps herby.
Yes, you should expect FTB to be months behind after every update.
Why the freck wouldn't it.
It's not the FTB's fault. They have to wait of mod makers.
It's not the mod makers fault. They aren't the ones changing minecraft.
It's not the people at minecraft's fault. You do want Minecraft to update don't you?
So ultimately it's YOUR FAULT that FTB hasn't updated yet. And if you don't like it then shut your yap and let them get back to work.

Seriously unless you are a programer you have no right to complain about how long it takes. Because you obviously have know idea how long it takes.
Many programs take teams of people years to make and months to update. Some of the mods created are at lest as complicated to update as minecraft is.
If you don't believe me please try learning programing. Feel free to make your own mod. Or better yet find one of them that's open source and hasn't updated yet and update it yourself. Don't just complain about it. Do something about it.

lithriandel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm okay with this. Also, is there or will there ever be a place where you can upload/download custom modpacks? Tekkit has a similar feature on their website and i would love to see some the custom packs that people have put together (with mod pack permissions of course).

In the new laucher you can create your own modpack. I don't know if you will be able to add mods that aren't in any already existing pack...

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
In the new laucher you can create your own modpack. I don't know if you will be able to add mods that aren't in any already existing pack...

You will not be able to include any mod that the author hasn't given permission for. EVER!!!!
Yes Tekkit ignores this and they have actually admitted that they aren't supposed to do this.
FTB will NEVER do this.

Here's the exert explaining all publicly revealed info on the launcher.
  • "You will be able to pick and choose your mods for the packs. All mods can be downloaded individually, instead of just one big zip file.
  • It will be easier to add Private Server packs, Just send a mod list and configs. The launcher will do the rest."
From: http://www.gamrmag.com/exclusive-new-ftb-launcher-and-website-preview/

Monkey6775

Jul 29, 2019
I Would love to see all the developers release T shirts of vary of priced values as support t-shirts we could buy.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
Oh boy, more permission arguments. Good to know that some people actually think that distributing free things in order for people to have fun and not having any personal benefit from it is the worst thing ever.

Reactions: Mooseman9

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Oh boy, more permission arguments. Good to know that some people actually think that distributing free things in order for people to have fun and not having any personal benefit from it is the worst thing ever.
If you're so sick of permission arguments, why are you trying to start one? Nobody was actually arguing before you posted your comment. Hopefully nobody will indulge you and start arguing about a topic that was already argued to death ages ago.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
If you're so sick of permission arguments, why are you trying to start one? Nobody was actually arguing before you posted your comment. Hopefully nobody will indulge you and start arguing about a topic that was already argued to death ages ago.

You will not be able to include any mod that the author hasn't given permission for. EVER!!!!
Yes Tekkit ignores this and they have actually admitted that they aren't supposed to do this.
FTB will NEVER do this.

Here's the exert explaining all publicly revealed info on the launcher.
  • "You will be able to pick and choose your mods for the packs. All mods can be downloaded individually, instead of just one big zip file.
  • It will be easier to add Private Server packs, Just send a mod list and configs. The launcher will do the rest."
From: http://www.gamrmag.com/exclusive-new-ftb-launcher-and-website-preview/

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
That's...not an argument. That's an answer to an implied question. A somewhat argumentative answer, but just an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.