Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Medogamer

Nov 24, 2020
Does anyone know how to convert liquid XP from open blocks to essence from industrial foregoing (FTB Revelation)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Does anyone know how to convert liquid XP from open blocks to essence from industrial foregoing (FTB Revelation)
I think I might! There's a couple of options, depending on what Industrial Foregoing has and what the configs are. If IF has an equivalent to the sewer from Minefactory Reloaded, and it works the same way, then you can use an XP shower to drop liquid XP onto the sewer to convert it directly to essence.

If that doesn't work, another possibility would be to use IF's Fluid Dictionary Converter - in theory that should allow conversion between the two - in fact, I'd try that first.

Reactions: Medogamer

Medogamer

Nov 24, 2020
I think I might! There's a couple of options, depending on what Industrial Foregoing has and what the configs are. If IF has an equivalent to the sewer from Minefactory Reloaded, and it works the same way, then you can use an XP shower to drop liquid XP onto the sewer to convert it directly to essence.

If that doesn't work, another possibility would be to use IF's Fluid Dictionary Converter - in theory that should allow conversion between the two - in fact, I'd try that first.

Oh thank you so much. Unfortunatly the sewer method doesn't work anymore but I had no idea about the Fluid Dictionary Converter. I just checked it out and that will work for sure!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

chrisfanner

Dec 12, 2020
I'm newer to the forums and the modpacks but does anyone know if there is a mod that has a furnace/crusher/smelter like Mekanism's with how they can be expanded to fit multiple processes in one machine with factories and so forth? Like one machine crushing 3 ores into powder through one machine vs having to make 3 machines to do the same?

boganthebabe

Dec 15, 2020
I'm new to PC and modded minecraft but I want to play FTBR. Which version of minecraft should I get? Java or Windows 10? Also what launcher do I get for it?

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Java, the windows (or bedrock) version does not do mods.

I would suggest getting either the FTB launcher, or Overwolf launcher and go from there.

Kyoj

Dec 23, 2020
How do you get Silverwood in Stoneblock 2? I assume there are no magical forests hidden behind a wall, and it is a basic component for Thaumcraft which is my whole theme this playthrough.

Should I just go to another map (Sky factory, etc.)?

Mmmruby123

Aug 13, 2020
this might be a complicated issue but idk. I use the builders paradise modpack and have my own server, that server has suddenly stopped working, it runs, but once it gets to the end it says press any button to exit and wont connect, if this is not the right place for this question let me know where is or pm me if youd like to help

xaeravoq

Dec 26, 2020
My carpenter says cant work. trying to make hardened casing. i have 6k rf. i have the sturdy casing and the 4 diamonds in the correct position but nothing happens. it says "cant work". why wont it tell me why it cant work???

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
carpenters normally need some kind of fluid as well... double check you have everything.

Also, make sure you have put the items for the craft in the lower spaces, the 'crafting' grid is just a pattern, it won't use the items if they are in the 'crafting' grid

The Eight-Bit Link

Dec 29, 2020
Can we get Overwolf to stop using its own copy of a JRE? The openJDK JRE they're using runs terribly comapred to Oracle JRE.
IMO, the pack would be better off without cramming adware onto people's machines, but that's just me. Assuming FTB is going to continue down this path, of adware at least don't make it comepltetly unplayable.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
IMO, the pack would be better off without cramming adware onto people's machines, but that's just me. Assuming FTB is going to continue down this path, of adware at least don't make it comepltetly unplayable.

In regards to this. The adds that are displayed while loading, are there to generate revenue for Overwolf and Curse. You try hosting a website that has as many files/hits/downloads as the Curse site does and pay for it all by yourself.

There is also now the ability to track downloads via the launcher, that in turn is on the path to compensating mod authors for their time and effort.

But if you hate ads, go ahead and play bedrock, and just pay for skins and maps directly.

The Eight-Bit Link

Dec 29, 2020
In regards to this. The adds that are displayed while loading, are there to generate revenue for Overwolf and Curse.
They aren't a small operation, they're owned by a venture-capital backed company (Overwolf) that has raised over 22 million in investments. This is not some small rinky-dink operation that owns this.

With that said, let's compare Nexus to Overwolf. Nexus provides mods and downloads for games, as well as a launcher. They are ad-supported. However, their launcher is for directly running, managing, and adding mods to games. This launcher handles magnet links to download content, and does not phone home outside of updates or using actions like endorsing mods, and the launcher is open-source for vetting by anyone. Nexus' primary function of distributing mods can even be done without the launcher installed on your machine at all by directly downloading mods and applying them, and the launcher can do all of its functions without an internet connection.

Contrast Overwolf, which appears to be a Chromium fork like Slack or Discord, but not confirmable as it's closed source. The user experience is not great, since it sits in the background doing who-knows-what when all it needs to do is launch a launcher, then go away. There's no reason for it to stay resident: it's not handling DRM, and chat is usually done in-game or with more popular or server-specific platforms like Discord or Mumble. Even the launching isn't great, as the launcher launches a launcher, which in turn launches a launcher to finally launch the game, when previously we just launched the game directly. Why? Explicitly to generate ad revenue, at the least. The previous launcher could have easily facilitated this, by simply loading a news page with embedded ads. Now we have a russian nesting doll of a Chromium launcher running a Javascript extension to load a Java launcher to load a game. With the Curse launcher, there was still a barebones launcher that just did what it said on the tin, launched the game. (I haven't checked out FTB in a minute, so I don't know if later they removed the Java launcher.) We can directly download mods without the launcher, but (please correct me if I'm wrong) we can't downlaod the modpack-specific configuration.
You try hosting a website that has as many files/hits/downloads as the Curse site does and pay for it all by yourself.
Crap napkin math for 50 TB of AWS S3 storage is approximately $1.1k. Add in the transfer costs to get this 50TB out of S3 (4,403.2‬0), and we're looking at around $5.5k in hosting per month, or $66k a year. This is gold-tier cloud stuff, and overpriced, but not exactly crippling, especially considering 600TB of traffic is a lot, and that we're not factoring in CDNs and other bandwitdth or storage cost-reduction measures (BitTorrent, people not re-downloading the game every time they launch it, hosted servers, etc.).
There is also now the ability to track downloads via the launcher, that in turn is on the path to compensating mod authors for their time and effort.
Tracking is precisely the sort of thing I do not want as an unknown background-running app on my desktop, and is already handled by Curseforge without a special launcher. It doesn't matter if they've pinky-sweared they won't sell the data, breaches happen all the time to everyone. Additionally, mod authors have their own avenues of getting compensation via things like Patreon, and if Bethesda's attempts at monetizing mods have shown, many mod authors don't want to deal with the fallout of attepting to force-monetize mods.
But if you hate ads, go ahead and play bedrock, and just pay for skins and maps directly.
Not a good argument, and missed the point. I'm not against ads, I'm against making users install unvetted adware that makes the user experience worse than it was before in an effort to milk every last penny from a community.

tl;dr: getting ads, spooky software, and a worse user experience is a bitter pill to swallow when others do it so much better.

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight Forest, I cannot find the Goblin Knight Stronghold. We've found two structures that peak out the tops of the trees, and both of those had no entrance to lower levels (we also dug under them to make sure). I don't see anything. How in the world do you find the entrance to this thing? Do you honestly just run around in the dark forest for hours on end under you stumble across a tiny amount of stone and wood or something?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Handily we put a big alert message at the top of the forum to let you know where to find the server section :)