Would you play a pack that has greg tech in it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you play a pack that has greg tech in it?

• Yes(state why)

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • No(state why)

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
So if I make a sword in one of my mods with 1 billion damage, it's not unbalanced as long as one person think it's balanced?
This post smells strongly of a straw man, but sure, I'll bite.

There's many pieces missing to this puzzle. You're talking about a mod you've made that adds one feature to a game that already has someone elses vision of balance applied to it, and then asking if the sword is balanced if a person (not the developer) thinks it is? This question seems really asinine to me, sorry.

Bubbajr114

Jul 29, 2019
It was an example. I used large numbers to make it sound totally stupid. No-one has actually made the mod.
And I believe he knew that and you completely missed the point.

Only the developer of the game can keep the balance in place objectivly because he had all the formulas of his/her game design in mind. A mod developer and mod followers can only be subjective when talking about the balance though as they don't have the game design spelled out in front of them necessarily.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
In MC1.4 GT was great, lost it's way somewhat in 1.5, completely lost the plot in 1.6 and I became a "#notgonnaplaythatanymore" hater.

However, having tasted GT in 1.7.10 I have to say I'm playing a GT pack and loving it. So I hear you ask, what's changed. For me it's the oregen, what GT has done is taken ores and made veins, we're not talking about clumps of 5 or 6 ores, we're talking about chunks of ores in massive veins spread throughout the world, here take a look at some screenshots of what I mean:

http://postimg.org/image/jbpftnft5/
http://postimg.org/image/a3es6g2q1/

Take into account that in the top screenshot the massive hole I've already dug out was also ore and in some cases you don't even have to go digging for ore veins as they are evident from the surface like this http://postimg.org/image/nvt722thl/

So GT 1.7.10 promotes exploration, practically nullifies quarrying and brings the mining back to Minecraft in a totally different and unique way. Yes it's all about finding the veins but it's quite fun and once you find a vein you'll have so much of that ore type you can switch to a different height level to go find different ones.

I personally am loving GT in 1.7.10 something I didn't think I'd be saying after the mess that it caused in 1.5/1.6.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
What really would be cool if there was a way to scan the whole chunk for it's ore value to see if it would be worth mining.

Reactions: Wagon153

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
In MC1.4 GT was great, lost it's way somewhat in 1.5, completely lost the plot in 1.6 and I became a "#notgonnaplaythatanymore" hater.

However, having tasted GT in 1.7.10 I have to say I'm playing a GT pack and loving it. So I hear you ask, what's changed. For me it's the oregen, what GT has done is taken ores and made veins, we're not talking about clumps of 5 or 6 ores, we're talking about chunks of ores in massive veins spread throughout the world, here take a look at some screenshots of what I mean:

http://postimg.org/image/jbpftnft5/
http://postimg.org/image/a3es6g2q1/

Take into account that in the top screenshot the massive hole I've already dug out was also ore and in some cases you don't even have to go digging for ore veins as they are evident from the surface like this http://postimg.org/image/nvt722thl/

So GT 1.7.10 promotes exploration, practically nullifies quarrying and brings the mining back to Minecraft in a totally different and unique way. Yes it's all about finding the veins but it's quite fun and once you find a vein you'll have so much of that ore type you can switch to a different height level to go find different ones.

I personally am loving GT in 1.7.10 something I didn't think I'd be saying after the mess that it caused in 1.5/1.6.

Interesting I see a future mod pack in my future with GT in it to play with.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I really dont care what mods are in the pack as long as I have "my required mod list" fulfilled some mods I ignore some mods I avoid and I honestly I cant answer this question properly because the last time I played a pack with gregtech in it was 1.4.7 and I kind of just ignored it.

Sent from my flux armor using the tappatalk app from the flux store

Reactions: Pyure

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Imo, Gregtech is just another version of Minecraft.
You have Vanilla- no explanation needed
You have modded- where exploiting mods clashing in strange and unusual ways to make life easier is half the fun
You have Gregtech- where the Modded experience is standardised, and set on a regular pace. You play mods as they were originally intended and envisioned to be played with- just not quite at the same rate of progression.

Though this is forgetting the whole TC thing. Yes, Greg can be a dick. But he mods well.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh my god Gregtech needs this so much. So much time would be saved.
Check my various threads on this topic, including the proposed mods thread (whatever its called) :p

I demand someone add a machine that you plonk down and wait to find out what's under it.

"Taking soil sample"
"Analyzing sample...3 hours remaining."
"Analyzing sample...2 hours remaining."
"Analyzing sample...1 hours remaining."
"Processing results..."
"Analysis complete: traces of magnetite and vanadium identified."

Reactions: asb3pe and Wagon153

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
After watching the first twitch stream of Slowpoke testing "Codename:Renaissance" I doubt I will play GT with any regularity. I missed the whole feud thing last year (came in just as it was being smothered in the forums) and have no animus towards GT, but after watching the crafting only produce 2 sticks from a cubic meter of wood all I could think of was "What do you do with all the waste chips and sawdust?"

Granted, 16 sticks from the same starting volume isn't logically enough either, unless your idea of a "stick" measures roughly 10"x10"x40". :D

Having said that, I do plan on trying it out when it's released.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
After watching the first twitch stream of Slowpoke testing "Codename:Renaissance" I doubt I will play GT with any regularity. I missed the whole feud thing last year (came in just as it was being smothered in the forums) and have no animus towards GT, but after watching the crafting only produce 2 sticks from a cubic meter of wood all I could think of was "What do you do with all the waste chips and sawdust?"
Fair enough. I will point out, though, that Saws are fairly cheap.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My waste chips and sawdust all evaporate on contact with air. I notice the lumber around here is so pathetic that I can literally punch a tree down with my hands.

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. I played with gregtech in 1.4.7 with ultimate back before 1.5.2 came out and I enjoyed it then. Haven't played it since learning other tech mods and magic mods that are new. The server I play on just added gregtech today and I am looking forward to learning the changes from 1.4.7 to 1.7.10. A few rage quits yelling at my computer the usual stuff but it let's me do stuff slightly different from now and time to learn how much I have missed in its updates.

PS its going to own me like a noob for a few days.

NanoVampire

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to know my opinion the guy who made gregtech is awesome. When I first started gt I hated it but now I love it so yeh

PrinnyCastGrover

Jul 29, 2019
I liked GT until it started messing with the ore spawn algorithm. Now I don't really want much to do with it. GT just makes me play MC for a little bit longer before I abandon it for my couple month hiatus. Then I come back and go at it again. Been doing that since pre-alpha.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
You can have GT in there but pull the teeth out to make it more in line with more casual mod packs. Think about the entire mod experience and what you want to allow individuals to be able to accomplish first. Then let those goals choose mods and configurations for you. People will play well configured packs regardless to how hard or easy they are. Look at how sucessful mindcrack was.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
is anyone aware when this "new pack" will come about?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer (from here):
"The only ETA for any pack releases or projects that we are working on that are not explicitly said to be complete is that they will be released when they are ready."

;)