Would you play a pack that has greg tech in it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you play a pack that has greg tech in it?

• Yes(state why)

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • No(state why)

Votes: 22 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I would be happy to use Gregtech in a mod pack but I don't like his new oregen as you have to travel all over the place looking for different ore's. I tried a pack with Gregtech in it. I spent most of my time having to travel all over the place looking for hills that might have some tin ore is a pain. On a slow computer it can be very bad having to world gen a large area looking for ore.
Two Words, my friend: RailCraft.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Balance is still highly subjective. Even in a very well made game with expertly crafted balance, such as, say, Team Fortress 2, some things occasionally just are objectively better and some are highly subjectively "better". For example: When you need to cap a point quickly, you use a scout, and no one would question this. But when you need to defend a cap... who would use a scout? Or why send a Heavy to cap alone? A heavy with the Intel is a very easy target, and yet a spy is worse.
Would you use the Backburner as a Pyro, and why use it instead of the basic flame thrower?

Balance is occasionally objective, and then it's just numbers and math. Pure logical deduction of which is better at what and why it is better. But there are the outliers to keep in mind. If I cap a point as a medic while I solo it, I am one hell of an outlier here. No one caps as a medic solo as far as logic would tell us.

But back to fun being subjective and objective... I agree. Fun is a thing that can change meaning and definition from person to person. But we almost all enjoy cutting loose and having a OP but hella fun joy now and then. And Minecraft is fun for many people, but the why's change quite often. I enjoy the challenge of attempting to master a new mod and mucking about along the way. GT can be quite fun for me since it makes things last longer and has good end game content.
Balance is always 100% objective, period. The only question is what you weigh on the scales.

People who think otherwise are thinking of "design quality", not balance, which is a different matter altogether (and addresses your concerns directly, in such a way that I 100% agree with you.)

karl2002

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys for the overwhelming responses was not expecting this. I am glad to see that so many do infact like gregtech or would give it a shot. What this means for me is bringing back my old server Aurora on the FTB res pack once releases will be a good idea.

Karl

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't play but that is because I'm Lazy and want to have all the things as fast as I can.

Turn on "Allow Cheats" option when you create your SSP world, then you can play survival but still be able to get the stuff you need if you decide you're just too lazy to go search for it. I think this is the best way to play even tho its obviously "cheating" (which is why it is called "Allow Cheats"). If you play a modpack normally, it might be weeks or months before you even get to a mod to learn it. By cheating, you are able to learn all the mods in the modpack much quicker. But you also have the option to just play normally, without cheats, if you so desire. Of course, if we're talking SMP then my post is useless. I even set up two keyboard macros so I can type "/gamemode 1" or "/gamemode 0" with one keystroke to quickly switch back and forth.

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
So if it was configured to have everything as fast as you can then you'd play it?
(such as traditional ore gen, with recipe styles from the old IC2)
I play for building and then the toys after. So if I can get the really nice looking blocks and it is fast I guess I'd try. (I don't mind the new Ic2 but as long as I can have it crafting things in the background.)

Reactions: RedBoss

poxun

Jul 29, 2019
I have in the past and doubt I will again...

My usual modded games go something like... Temporary base (normally just a hole below ground) -> power and some storage to run a quarry and/or other resource gather of some sort -> collect materials -> build nice base with those materials. Normally (depending on how much I play) it takes me a couple of weeks to get to the build nice base which is the bit you really want to get to as showing your base and ideas to people is one of the key points of playing on a server.

When I played on a server that had GT I was still living in a hole in the ground after over a month, and still building machines to build machines to get started rather than a nice base. And this was on a server with a couple of 'convenience' mods such as power converters which made power and stuff relatively simple.

I never did get a nice base built on that server as by then pretty much everyone else was in the same boat, got bored and left so after 3 days of seeing no one else (there were about 20 active at start) I moved on.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Balance is always 100% objective, period. The only question is what you weigh on the scales.

People who think otherwise are thinking of "design quality", not balance, which is a different matter altogether (and addresses your concerns directly, in such a way that I 100% agree with you.)
See, there's the part there. "100% objective, period. The only question is what you weigh on the scales." There is the massive amount of subjectivity. How does one decide how to balance an experience? Minecraft itself has no baseline to work with, unlike a well balanced game like TF2 due to their mastery of Perfect Imbalance.
Again, though, I merely say this because Minecraft has given us a very poor framework to even establish balance beyond the core game, in which there is still close to zero. Everything balances in some way with everything else; when I play Minecraft I rarely edit configs aside from fixing conflicts and occasionally adding new recipes or removing ones I don't like. For some odd reason, I still take forever to get anything done, and yet, I could have an extractor up and running on every world in under an hour if I plan it out. And get lucky with ore spawns, mind you.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Depends on the community. I'm pretty much happy playing most things so long as I'm chillin' with my homies or something.

But on its own, I find that gregtech is rather tedious, especially for someone as lazy as me. I find that Iguana tweaks is a good earlygame limiter, but interferes with other mods much less than gregtech. I like fun faster.

This does come from the fact I played a lot of MF2. That was reasonable to my tastes.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
See, there's the part there. "100% objective, period. The only question is what you weigh on the scales." There is the massive amount of subjectivity. How does one decide how to balance an experience? Minecraft itself has no baseline to work with, unlike a well balanced game like TF2 due to their mastery of Perfect Imbalance.
Again, though, I merely say this because Minecraft has given us a very poor framework to even establish balance beyond the core game, in which there is still close to zero. Everything balances in some way with everything else; when I play Minecraft I rarely edit configs aside from fixing conflicts and occasionally adding new recipes or removing ones I don't like. For some odd reason, I still take forever to get anything done, and yet, I could have an extractor up and running on every world in under an hour if I plan it out. And get lucky with ore spawns, mind you.
Nobody said anything about balancing an experience. Or an emotion. I fully agree with all your concerns in game design.

Balance is a different issue altogether. Sadly, in gaming, people hear the word "balance" and frequently think it means something altogether different than mathematics.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody said anything about balancing an experience. Or an emotion. I fully agree with all your concerns in game design.

Balance is a different issue altogether. Sadly, in gaming, people hear the word "balance" and frequently think it means something altogether different than mathematics.
The mathematics you speak of is just a metric, one metric of many, that is used to measure whether or not X feature, Y boss fight, or Z item is "balanced" in the scope of which it is relevant. With enough observation of the gameplay you can mathematically determine where things fall short, and what could be deemed as overpowered. Balance encompasses many things, and i hate to say it, but the "experience" is a large part of it. Without a balance, certain rules, techniques (skills, abilities, etc), or even complete segments of the game can be deemed ineffective, worthless, or at the other end of the spectrum, gamebreakingly overpowered.

This is part of my major gripe with modded minecraft; with such a large swath of mods, so many different developers visions of what is and is not balanced, and even within the same mod some things are ho hum or take it or leave it, and other things making you feel like you *must* progress down X path and forgo the rest. It kind of ruins certain parts of the "experience." and this is why balance is always subjective, because everybody has their own idea what is and is not.

edit: both paragraphs can be taken as two separate thoughts/posts. balancing a modpack is very different than balance in civilization or skyrim. as in, it's near impossible.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The mathematics you speak of is just a metric, one metric of many, that is used to measure whether or not X feature, Y boss fight, or Z item is "balanced" in the scope of which it is relevant. With enough observation of the gameplay you can mathematically determine where things fall short, and what could be deemed as overpowered. Balance encompasses many things, and i hate to say it, but the "experience" is a large part of it. Without a balance, certain rules, techniques (skills, abilities, etc), or even complete segments of the game can be deemed ineffective, worthless, or at the other end of the spectrum, gamebreakingly overpowered.

This is part of my major gripe with modded minecraft; with such a large swath of mods, so many different developers visions of what is and is not balanced, and even within the same mod some things are ho hum or take it or leave it, and other things making you feel like you *must* progress down X path and forgo the rest. It kind of ruins certain parts of the "experience." and this is why balance is always subjective, because everybody has their own idea what is and is not.

edit: both paragraphs can be taken as two separate thoughts/posts. balancing a modpack is very different than balance in civilization or skyrim. as in, it's near impossible.
I think you tried to "argue" my point but actually repeated all my points.

Objective: Balance
Subjective: Deciding what to balance.

I've already mentioned that the only outlying concern is what we decide to weigh on the scales. Balance isn't subjective, ever, because the term is already taken in the English language for an objective purpose. It cannot, by defition, be subjective. What you're talking about is game design mechanics, and I agree with every single thing you said about it.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I think you tried to "argue" my point but actually repeated all my points.

Objective: Balance
Subjective: Deciding what to balance.

I've already mentioned that the only outlying concern is what we decide to weigh on the scales. Balance isn't subjective, ever, because the term is already taken in the English language for an objective purpose. It cannot, by defition, be subjective. What you're talking about is game design mechanics, and I agree with every single thing you said about it.
I don't think we're arguing the same points at all. I know the difference between mechanics and balance. I mean, how can we be talking specifically about mechanics when mechanics are one of the things being balanced in a game?

Balance is completely subjective because everybody has their own idea on what is balanced. How can "balance" be objective if people use a different measure? If balance was a math problem, wouldn't there be less discussion about it? If it were in terms of absolutes, nobody would have long drawn out discussions on what or how much to nerf, buff, or remove from a game.

If we're using the scale analogy, each developer has their own idea on where to position the fulcrum. You can still achieve "balance," but not to everybody's standards. This is why it is entirely subjective.

Last edited:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Balance is in no way objective when it comes to gaming. Balance is entirely in the eye of the beholder. While I do enjoy Greg-tech I don't find it be necessarily balanced for my tastes at any given time. Balance in the natural world I will grant you is objective. You can quantify the balance of an ecosystem. However to put the term on something that is created by a person means it loses its objectivity. Once again, be it play styles or what the mod creator sees fit for his mod (to use an example: ore quintupling from mekanism) balance than lies solely in the hand of one person.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
and if you have any doubt about balance being subjective or not, start a discussion between two D&D DM's, and watch the fun.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
*steers the conversation back to gregtech* Yes I love the new Gregtech, it's very configurable, you can adjust ore gen how you like and once NEI is fully integrated it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to figure out crush redstone ore twice, than throw in cauldron to get redstone. LOL only took me 20 minutes to figure that out.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
*steers the conversation back to gregtech* Yes I love the new Gregtech, it's very configurable, you can adjust ore gen how you like and once NEI is fully integrated it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to figure out crush redstone ore twice, than throw in cauldron to get redstone. LOL only took me 20 minutes to figure that out.
Alright, have it your way. Instead of some engaging discussion on game design, back to a dead-end discussion and 4 more pages of the same "Yeah, new GT is great. I'll play it"

Reactions: Pyure