Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
I mean what stuff and things did you use from ReactorCraft did you use? Like what machines

Reika is the mod dev for reactorcraft as well as rotarycraft and a few other mods in the FTB packs. In other words he is the one the coded/designed that beautiful beast of a machine. As for how to build it see the video linked above.

13MovingOn

Jul 29, 2019
Reika is the mod dev for reactorcraft as well as rotarycraft and a few other mods in the FTB packs. In other words he is the one the coded/designed that beautiful beast of a machine. As for how to build it see the video linked above.
Ok thank you :)

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I decided to build a test reactor in creative before finishing the survival one I've been working on for a few days to work out some of the details such as exactly how much water needs to be supplied, fuel consumption rate, whether generating tritium in the reactor itself is economical without needing a separate breeder, exact power requirements for some of the components and so forth. My problem is, I can't seem to work out keeping the neutron absorbers sufficiently cool.
Ignore the loose plasma in that screenshot, the central solenoid magnet's turned off because letting the 150,000,000 degree plasma go flying about is less destructive than neutrons melting things while I'm trying to troubleshoot. Go figure.

As per the tutorial video, I've got a circle of neutron absorbers in contact with steam boilers supplied with water from 13 infinite reservoirs via Rotarycraft fluid pipes, with steam lines on top. I've also tried supplying water with AE/ExtraCells export buses, TE fluiducts and Extra Utilities transfer pipes, along with the crude pump setup in the background. Regardless of how much water I supply, turning the reactor on causes several neutron absorbers to melt within a few seconds of fusion beginning to occur. Of note is that the other three quadrants are blocked off with steel to keep them from melting, so the 13 reservoirs are only supplying the 24 boilers in the above screenshot and not all 96.

So, exactly what am I doing wrong here? Did fusion reactors start requiring ammonia/salt/CO2 heat heat exchanging equipment while I wasn't looking, or did steam lines lose their infinite capacity or something?

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
How is magnetite different to iron ore?

At it's most basic, electricity is produced by moving magnets around ferrous metals (like iron). The magnets pull all the electrons in the iron into lines which is the actual production part, this only happens once though. To produce an actual current the iron and magnet must have motion.. like rotational motion.. like the magnetizer in game, the lines you see on the shaft itself are actually critical; they let the electrons "loose" to go back to chaos (by being little non-ferrous borders) only to be snapped back into line as the shaft continues rotating and crosses the magnet again and again..... the electrons constantly shifting from order to chaos is how electricity is produced :)

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Also, de-magnetization is absolutely a real thing. In school I had to learn quite a bit about "residual magnetism" and it's peculiarities. Residual magnetism btw, is the aircraft mechanics equivalent to car mechanics telling people to top off their blinker fluid, or getting the winter air out of their tires ;) It's one of the things you throw out to shutup an annoying owner because it sounds mystical but it's easy to re-magnetize :)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Also, de-magnetization is absolutely a real thing. In school I had to learn quite a bit about "residual magnetism" and it's peculiarities. Residual magnetism btw, is the aircraft mechanics equivalent to car mechanics telling people to top off their blinker fluid, or getting the winter air out of their tires ;) It's one of the things you throw out to shutup an annoying owner because it sounds mystical but it's easy to re-magnetize :)
I see what you did there.

Reactions: kilteroff

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I decided to build a test reactor in creative before finishing the survival one I've been working on for a few days to work out some of the details such as exactly how much water needs to be supplied, fuel consumption rate, whether generating tritium in the reactor itself is economical without needing a separate breeder, exact power requirements for some of the components and so forth. My problem is, I can't seem to work out keeping the neutron absorbers sufficiently cool.
Ignore the loose plasma in that screenshot, the central solenoid magnet's turned off because letting the 150,000,000 degree plasma go flying about is less destructive than neutrons melting things while I'm trying to troubleshoot. Go figure.

As per the tutorial video, I've got a circle of neutron absorbers in contact with steam boilers supplied with water from 13 infinite reservoirs via Rotarycraft fluid pipes, with steam lines on top. I've also tried supplying water with AE/ExtraCells export buses, TE fluiducts and Extra Utilities transfer pipes, along with the crude pump setup in the background. Regardless of how much water I supply, turning the reactor on causes several neutron absorbers to melt within a few seconds of fusion beginning to occur. Of note is that the other three quadrants are blocked off with steel to keep them from melting, so the 13 reservoirs are only supplying the 24 boilers in the above screenshot and not all 96.

So, exactly what am I doing wrong here? Did fusion reactors start requiring ammonia/salt/CO2 heat heat exchanging equipment while I wasn't looking, or did steam lines lose their infinite capacity or something?
You just need more water. A lot more.

Except "flashing the field", as it is called, in self-excited generators, is a real process taken if some idiot either provides backwards current, drops the unit on the floor, or heats it to 400C.

Reactions: kilteroff

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
You just need more water. A lot more.
That really doesn't seem to be it. Here I've got something like 250 infinite water reservoirs supplying the same setup - that's more than 10 per boiler - with exactly the same end result.
D9p3v3S.jpg
Spamming one of the boilers with an angular transducer reports that the internal tank always has either 11,800 or occasionally 11,600 mB of water, never any less, and yet the neutron absorbers are still heating up to 1500 C or something and melting quite rapidly. I've tried breaking every absorber, steam line and boiler and replacing them to see if it's some obscure tile entity thing without any luck.

At least the boilers themselves aren't quick to go, I only ever had one of those explode once (taking the entire pipe network with it, that was irritating to clean up).

If the boilers are, in fact, using this much water... I'm really not sure how to run one of these, like, ever. Even in creative. Reservoirs and liquid pipes seem to be able to move several buckets per tick if there's ample draw, and with over 250 of them? I can't think of any non-server-killingy way to supply anywhere near even that much water, especially without infinite sources like magic reservoirs.