Would you build this?

Would you build this?

• Total voters

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
That really doesn't seem to be it. Here I've got something like 250 infinite water reservoirs supplying the same setup - that's more than 10 per boiler - with exactly the same end result.
D9p3v3S.jpg
Spamming one of the boilers with an angular transducer reports that the internal tank always has either 11,800 or occasionally 11,600 mB of water, never any less, and yet the neutron absorbers are still heating up to 1500 C or something and melting quite rapidly. I've tried breaking every absorber, steam line and boiler and replacing them to see if it's some obscure tile entity thing without any luck.

At least the boilers themselves aren't quick to go, I only ever had one of those explode once (taking the entire pipe network with it, that was irritating to clean up).

If the boilers are, in fact, using this much water... I'm really not sure how to run one of these, like, ever. Even in creative. Reservoirs and liquid pipes seem to be able to move several buckets per tick if there's ample draw, and with over 250 of them? I can't think of any non-server-killingy way to supply anywhere near even that much water, especially without infinite sources like magic reservoirs.
Steve's factory manager can supply 999 buckets per second per operation. Operations are limited to 512. Advanced thaumaturgy adds the everfull urn which is a infinite supply of water... So what I'm saying is use magic

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Could you give a rough idea of what it takes to supply enough water? For instance, how many of them can a single pump keep up with?
Rorax is doing some interesting research.

That really doesn't seem to be it. Here I've got something like 250 infinite water reservoirs supplying the same setup - that's more than 10 per boiler - with exactly the same end result.
pamming one of the boilers with an angular transducer reports that the internal tank always has either 11,800 or occasionally 11,600 mB of water, never any less, and yet the neutron absorbers are still heating up to 1500 C or something and melting quite rapidly. I've tried breaking every absorber, steam line and boiler and replacing them to see if it's some obscure tile entity thing without any luck.

At least the boilers themselves aren't quick to go, I only ever had one of those explode once (taking the entire pipe network with it, that was irritating to clean up).

If the boilers are, in fact, using this much water... I'm really not sure how to run one of these, like, ever. Even in creative. Reservoirs and liquid pipes seem to be able to move several buckets per tick if there's ample draw, and with over 250 of them? I can't think of any non-server-killingy way to supply anywhere near even that much water, especially without infinite sources like magic reservoirs.
You are not distributing the water properly. Try doing it all around the reactor.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
I just looked at this and my computer started waving a white flag. XD
Poor thing, it needs a better video card. Then maybe it wont melt if I attempted anything near half this xD

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I just looked at this and my computer started waving a white flag. XD
Poor thing, it needs a better video card. Then maybe it wont melt if I attempted anything near half this xD
Seeing as this mod (well, Reika's mods) are actually pretty CPU heavy, it could just be that your gaming computer has a great GPU but shite CPU.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Naw my rig is pretty good, just the video card is the standard 'come with the system' card. If it was better it could handle stuff better.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Rorax is doing some interesting research.
I will have to keep an eye for that.
I can't create water fast enough, and if I could, pipes can't keep up, no idea how to move all that steam or power it creates ....The sheer magnitude of it is crazy. Stop breaking modded Minecraft. LOL JK
I am actually looking forward to setting one up. I am having much more fun with RC than that other super high tech end game mod.....Thank you for making the end game require more than just tedious crafting. It is gonna take some real work to have one of these functioning.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Seeing as this mod (well, Reika's mods) are actually pretty CPU heavy, it could just be that your gaming computer has a great GPU but shite CPU.
There is load on the GPU, too, from the rendered models. This is more an issue in RotaryCraft than ReactorCraft (until you get tons of entities everywhere), though.

You are correct, however, that the CPU is the main load, and the one most people seem to run into first, as most people seem to balance their computers for GPU and neglect the CPU: "I HAVE A $4K GAMING COMPUTER WITH 5 GT-XTREME GPUS HOW CAN I NOT BE GETTING 50000FPS!?!".

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is that a choke-point in Minecraft, or OpenGL? I've never gotten a straight answer on that, and its always been a point of curiosity for me.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I typed this up but apparently forgot to submit it before going to sleep. Oops.
You are not distributing the water properly. Try doing it all around the reactor.
xWQJOGl.jpg
Still melting after about 20 seconds. Almost all of those reservoirs are in infinite mode, I probably missed a couple. Below the extractors is a floor of liquid pipes, which (obviously) extends under the steam boilers as well. I don't know the exact mechanics of Rotarycraft pipes, but the only possible way these boilers could be receiving insufficient water is if they're as dumb as Buildcraft pipes.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I typed this up but apparently forgot to submit it before going to sleep. Oops.
Still melting after about 20 seconds. Almost all of those reservoirs are in infinite mode, I probably missed a couple. Below the extractors is a floor of liquid pipes, which (obviously) extends under the steam boilers as well. I don't know the exact mechanics of Rotarycraft pipes, but the only possible way these boilers could be receiving insufficient water is if they're as dumb as Buildcraft pipes.
They spread the water evenly between each other and any tanks on either end.

DorinnB

Jul 29, 2019
EyeDeck, was you able to prevent the lava ?
I'm working on the reactor in survival. Closed to be finished but as the server is offline I made the reactor in creative.
And I got the same probleme. absorber smelting fastly. even with enderio pipe or RC pipe with infinite water around the reactor, 13 enderio reservoir, switched to RC, then openbloc tank.

I will try with RC pump. Any help is welcome !

Ps : i should have made the reactor in creative first. I missread the torque/speed requirement for the solenoid part.... it "fail violently" and spray all around my base, 200 blocs away.
... twice ...

ps 2 : Thank you Reika. I have a LOT fun with monster thanks to you.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Im wavering between "Never" and "want to but cant". I hope I dont get hated/warned/banned for saying so but.. I get frustrated and annoyed enough at thaumcraft's tedious busywork which is nothing compared to the overwhelming complexity of your mods.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
EyeDeck, was you able to prevent the lava ?
Nope, never quite did. Layering additional boilers around the outer edge slowed the process down, but there would always be spikes of neutrons that would melt the absorbers eventually. I was considering trying an additional layer of boilers before the absorbers, which probably won't impact efficiency any but might get temperatures under control, but never got around to it - I sort of lost interest after breaking a pebblebed reactor I was experimenting with corrupted that world, and I couldn't be bothered to build another one or fix it.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, never quite did. Layering additional boilers around the outer edge slowed the process down, but there would always be spikes of neutrons that would melt the absorbers eventually. I was considering trying an additional layer of boilers before the absorbers, which probably won't impact efficiency any but might get temperatures under control, but never got around to it - I sort of lost interest after breaking a pebblebed reactor I was experimenting with corrupted that world, and I couldn't be bothered to build another one or fix it.
Have you tried other forms of liquid transport? If they're faster, it might help

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
If you can keep up a high supply level, RC pipes are probably the fastest at several buckets a tick.
Sorry reika but Steve's factory manager has the highest throughput with 999 buckets per second per connection and is capped at 512 connections