Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
energy drain by shielding is very low(som might say too low) it's not a nano armor... even if you install all 4 elite batteries(why need 5th? in fact 1 is enough) it's still gonna be lighter than full advanced plating.
Now tesseracts are expensive and end game staff, so availability of shield is shifted further in gameplay. The same with flying. Basically fully configured MPS is end game device.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Basically fully configured MPS is end game device.
yeah. can't remember anyone stating otherwise, well maybe when vanilla recipes involved and EE3 is around...
the funny fact is, that TE recipe for forcefield emitter are more costly than IC2 ones, ender pearl-vise.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
TE recipe for forcefield emitter are more costly than IC2 ones, ender pearl-vise.
ender pearl is simple one:) Shiny metal is hard one to get, especially if you need to build tesseracts for other purpose as well. MPS is going to compete for resources rather havily. I got enough only when Quarry+ and Rotary Craft were evaluable.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You have a bed... and a door... am I the only one that spends my first couple days using a dirt block for a door and wishing I could find sheep or string?
I just use fence gate instead. Zombies are brain dead and they do not possess the knowledge required to break down a fence gate. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1389279582][/DOUBLEPOST]
ender pearl is simple one:) Shiny metal is hard one to get, especially if you need to build tesseracts for other purpose as well. MPS is going to compete for resources rather havily. I got enough only when Quarry+ and Rotary Craft were evaluable.
True, every tesseract would require one shiny dust and 3 tin. I keep on having issues with tin and copper as well as those rarer metals. :\

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I just use fence gate instead. Zombies are brain dead and they do not possess the knowledge required to break down a fence gate. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1389279582][/DOUBLEPOST]
True, every tesseract would require one shiny dust and 3 tin. I keep on having issues with tin and copper as well as those rarer metals. :\
That's when you grab some redstone ore using TiC Silky Pick and grab some rich slag :D or if you're lucky enough, accumulate enough shiny ingots over time from processing.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
That's when you grab some redstone ore using TiC Silky Pick and grab some rich slag :D or if you're lucky enough, accumulate enough shiny ingots over time from processing.
Redstone Ore through Pulverizer is better, ain't it? For getting Cinnabars?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno about all that. Even in leather I don't have any problem with spawners; I've cleared several Roguelike Dungeons in my no-mining Horizons game; that means I was usually wearing leather or worse and had to knock the spawners out with a sword because I'm not using picks.

Fact is, most people don't give a flip about "danger" - mobs and combat have always been, at best, a marginal feature of Minecraft.

maybe i was spoiled, first time i ever played, the server admin set difficulty to hard. i died a lot in the beginning. My point wasnt that spawners are hard, but they present at least some challenge. mods increase challenge, like twilight forest dungeons, towers, etc. MPS though removes all danger from just about any mod. Might as well set the game on peaceful and then not have to waste time crafting the armor and sstuff for it.

Nano armor seems ok, its comparable to vanilla diamond armor really. Jetpacks reducing armor is a good balance. Remove MPS and quantum armor, now you have a challenge.

Kind of like how magic farm does it. No MPS or quantum armor in that pack that I can see.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Now tesseracts are expensive and end game staff, so availability of shield is shifted further in gameplay. The same with flying. Basically fully configured MPS is end game device.

How did tesseracts get more expensive? hjavent played te3, they look the same to me on the site though or a bit cheaper. 4 tin and a frame willed with ender? is it more than 4 ender pearls now?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
maybe i was spoiled, first time i ever played, the server admin set difficulty to hard. i died a lot in the beginning. My point wasnt that spawners are hard, but they present at least some challenge. mods increase challenge, like twilight forest dungeons, towers, etc. MPS though removes all danger from just about any mod. Might as well set the game on peaceful and then not have to waste time crafting the armor and sstuff for it.

Nano armor seems ok, its comparable to vanilla diamond armor really. Jetpacks reducing armor is a good balance. Remove MPS and quantum armor, now you have a challenge.

Kind of like how magic farm does it. No MPS or quantum armor in that pack that I can see.
I mostly like the quantum for its utility. I'd happily wear nano or less if it were just protection. After a certain point though, I get sick of having to surface for air every five seconds. I get tired of slowly walking across my rather large base. I get frustrated with having to go to stupid effort or make dumb-looking constructions to reach high-up or out-of-the-way things. In particular, I #$@%^$$#@$ HATE LAVA. And I am glad both that there is a way to craft those annoyances out of the game and that there is a progression path to getting there.

Again, I think the fundamental difference here is that most people do not play MC expecting the game to offer them a challenge; they play MC intending to challenge themselves. If you want a challenge offered TO you there are a million games out there that will do that; it's the premise of 99.9% of games. MC is supposed to be unique and I think that very, very few of us want to see it start behaving as "just another game".

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
How did tesseracts get more expensive? hjavent played te3, they look the same to me on the site though or a bit cheaper. 4 tin and a frame willed with ender? is it more than 4 ender pearls now?
3 tin dust, 1 shiny dust and 1 bucket of liquid ender for 4 enderium dust.
Shiny dust can only be gotten from Ferrous Ore either by pulverizing the ore and having a low chance of getting shiny dust output. Or Pulverizing Redstone Ore (silked touched) for 25% chance of getting a cinnabar which can be used to smelt together with one Ferrous Ore for a 100% chance of two Ferrous Ingots and one Shiny Ingot.
You need 2 Pyrothium dust (forgot the exact name) to smelt all 4 enderium dust into Enderium Ingots. The Pyrothium dust is made with 1 blaze powder, 1 sulfur, 1 coal dust and 1 redstone dust. TE3 itself doesn't have sulfur ore (correct me if I am wrong) so you will have to pulverize other stuffs and chance upon it.
4 Enderium Ingots, 4 Hardened Glass and 1 Diamond makes 1 Empty Tesseract Frame. You need 4 Ender Pearls melted into Liquid Ender to fill one frame.
Then you need 4 silver ingots and 4 bronze ingots around the filled tesseract frames for 1 active Tesseract.
And of course, you need at least a pair of Tesseracts to work.

Reactions: James_Grimm

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Shiny dust can only be gotten from Ferrous Ore either by pulverizing the ore and having a low chance of getting shiny dust output. Or Pulverizing Redstone Ore (silked touched) for 25% chance of getting a cinnabar which can be used to smelt together with one Ferrous Ore for a 100% chance of two Ferrous Ingots and one Shiny Ingot.
You need 2 Pyrothium dust (forgot the exact name) to smelt all 4 enderium dust into Enderium Ingots. The Pyrothium dust is made with 1 blaze powder, 1 sulfur, 1 coal dust and 1 redstone dust. TE3 itself doesn't have sulfur ore (correct me if I am wrong) so you will have to pulverize other stuffs and chance upon it.
4 Enderium Ingots, 4 Hardened Glass and 1 Diamond makes 1 Empty Tesseract Frame. You need 4 Ender Pearls melted into Liquid Ender to fill one frame.
Then you need 4 silver ingots and 4 bronze ingots around the filled tesseract frames for 1 active Tesseract.
And of course, you need at least a pair of Tesseracts to work.
On the matter of Cinnabar, you can use TC4 Cinnnabar after soaking it with Gellied Cyrostuff. That being said, I don't know what drops those "Cyro Rod Thingies", but at least one can make that dust out of snowballs(and destabilized redstone).

I also love the Florbs, as an aside. I almost want to join a server, start a snowball fight and end up throwing some Florbs as well.

Reactions: jokermatt999

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
On the matter of Cinnabar, you can use TC4 Cinnnabar after soaking it with Gellied Cyrostuff. That being said, I don't know what drops those "Cyro Rod Thingies", but at least one can make that dust out of snowballs(and destabilized redstone).

I also love the Florbs, as an aside. I almost want to join a server, start a snowball fight and end up throwing some Florbs as well.
I am of course speaking of within the mod itself since everyone knows inter-mods interaction will always come up with some ridiculous combo that will make stuffs that are supposed to be tedious to gather, to be very easy out of the sudden.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
You need 2 Pyrothium dust (forgot the exact name) to smelt all 4 enderium dust into Enderium Ingots.

Interesting, the new cofh site doesnt give the recipe. Seems harder to make them. Kind of suprises me, I usually get told people dont like things being made more expensive. No one seems bothered by this though. I like that they seem harder to make.

Honest question though, why do people get upset over 'making machines to make other machines to make other machines' with IC2, but this procedure is not considered bad? To make one block, you need other blocks. People say 'you need a hammer and snips to make wire and it sucks' but then here someone could say 'you need an induction smelter just to make this special glass, then you have to make this frame, then another whole machine just to fill that frame with ender pearls, instead of just crafting 4 ender pearls with a frame to get a filled one. And you have to melt the pearls with this third machine.

Why not just craft regular glass with a diamond to make a frame? Craft the frame with 4 ender pearls to get a filled frame. Then craft the filled frame with some metal to finish it. its not about cost, because you could increase cost just by using two crafting steps. Like this:

Step 1: a diamond block with 4 glass and 4 obsidian to make a frame. Step 2: 4 ender pearls and 4 silver blocks with that frame to make a teseract. honestly... this sound better to me. Id actually love it was 1 glass and 4 diamond blocks and 4 obsidian. Everyone says they have no use for all the diamonds they accumulate... wouldnt it be nice to have a way to use them?

And this method seems much less... tedious... dont you think? Now i have my tesseract and didnt spend so much time in front of a Gui, and its even more expensive. Or at least could be made comparable in cost easily. Im honestly curious why this is considered good design, but IC2 is not. Maybe IC2 went too FAR with their steps (very possible), but the response I get is that 'I dont want to make machines just so i can make other machines." Isnt this what all mods do? If so, why is the TE3 tech progression ok when it could obviously be made less 'tedious' but IC2's progression is not?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting, the new cofh site doesnt give the recipe. Seems harder to make them. Kind of suprises me, I usually get told people dont like things being made more expensive. No one seems bothered by this though. I like that they seem harder to make.

Honest question though, why do people get upset over 'making machines to make other machines to make other machines' with IC2, but this procedure is not considered bad? To make one block, you need other blocks. People say 'you need a hammer and snips to make wire and it sucks' but then here someone could say 'you need an induction smelter just to make this special glass, then you have to make this frame, then another whole machine just to fill that frame with ender pearls, instead of just crafting 4 ender pearls with a frame to get a filled one. And you have to melt the pearls with this third machine.

Why not just craft regular glass with a diamond to make a frame? Craft the frame with 4 ender pearls to get a filled frame. Then craft the filled frame with some metal to finish it. its not about cost, because you could increase cost just by using two crafting steps. Like this:

Step 1: a diamond block with 4 glass and 4 obsidian to make a frame. Step 2: 4 ender pearls and 4 silver blocks with that frame to make a teseract. honestly... this sound better to me. Id actually love it was 1 glass and 4 diamond blocks and 4 obsidian. Everyone says they have no use for all the diamonds they accumulate... wouldnt it be nice to have a way to use them?

And this method seems much less... tedious... dont you think? Now i have my tesseract and didnt spend so much time in front of a Gui, and its even more expensive. Or at least could be made comparable in cost easily. Im honestly curious why this is considered good design, but IC2 is not. Maybe IC2 went too FAR with their steps (very possible), but the response I get is that 'I dont want to make machines just so i can make other machines." Isnt this what all mods do? If so, why is the TE3 tech progression ok when it could obviously be made less 'tedious' but IC2's progression is not?

I don't have to have a tesseract to move my items. I can use a number of other methods. SO the extra work for the reward of being able to teleport things is fine by me because I don't "HAVE" to make it. If I want to progress up IC2's chain I have to make the tools the machines the fiddly bits for even the base tier machines. Leave the fiddly bits for the upgrades and bonus items and I am happy.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019

you can live without tesseracts. you cannot live without a hammer, wires, cutter, plates, etc. those all require extra steps and are annoying to constantly use. then you say "make a metal former!" i can but metal formers take a shit load of time unless i use overclockers. and overclockers are super annoying to make since 10k coolant cells don't stack so i have to constantly make room for them or go through a super painfully long way of automating the making of them. just not worth it.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The tesseract is basically an "end game" item for TE, so people don't mind the extra process steps to obtain it, compared to the IC2 machines needing all the extra crafting steps for everything. It's too much.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have to have a tesseract to move my items. I can use a number of other methods. SO the extra work for the reward of being able to teleport things is fine by me because I don't "HAVE" to make it. If I want to progress up IC2's chain I have to make the tools the machines the fiddly bits for even the base tier machines. Leave the fiddly bits for the upgrades and bonus items and I am happy.

Hmm I have to get ic2 exp installed so I can see this. Honestly though im interested in their changes. I always viewed ore doubling as equivalent to a tesseract. its a huge change to the game environment once you geet it set up. Maybe they didnt do it the right way, but I kind of feel that ore doubling should require an investment. Like a tesseract no one really has to set up ore doubling. Like wiht your pack, assume for a second that TE3 wasnt installed but IC2 and gregtech were. "Well you can survive, and its hard. You can go the magic route or the tech route. If you want increased resources and big bonuses like doubling your ore output, youre going to have to invest some time, just like how Thaumcraft makes you invest time to get higher power items that make things easy.

ore doubling is assumed to be a tier one technology jsut because IC2 was one of the earliest mods and it made macerators cheap. IMO ore doubling should require an investment, just like golems (automation to increase resources and save you time) require not only resources to make, but an investment in time to even be able to make them.

Still, not saying IC2 did it in a good way, but if they were trying to make ore doubling a mid game idea, id agree with that. How to implement that change though is tricky. Honeslty though I dont know why people will spend hours on thaumcraft research and be happy, but then hours crafting is considered tedious. In Ultimate I wanted a brain in a jar and i was forced toresearch for hours and hours just to get the one item i wanted from that mod. To me it seems many mods have lots of tedium built into them. Im NOT saying IC2 is good, i guess its just curious to me why TC research is considered ok, but IC2 'research' is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.