Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of it has been done better easier in other mod, it lacks content and the content it has now is just tedious. TBH it's just dated and it's attempts to reinvigorate itself were poor.

fixed. it all comes down to playstyle. if you enjoy the tiering of tech and resource gathering/processing the way ic2 (and greg to a greater extent) does, then the choice is obvious. if your focus in the game is elsewhere, or you just want some no nonsense processing/utility, then TE3 is your better option.

tbh, i used to be on the anti-ic2 train. i also wanted every reason in the world to dislike greg and his tech, but this version, i don't. i can't. greg's bronze age is actually pretty cool. why all the ic2 hate though? is it the energy change? no big deal there. is it the added steps in certain recipes, lending to harder automation or something? i don't see how with AE.

i'd really like to see some actual reasons why people don't like ic2. it lacks content? no it doesn't, it has more content than most comparable tech mods.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
fixed. it all comes down to playstyle. if you enjoy the tiering of tech and resource gathering/processing the way ic2 (and greg to a greater extent) does, then the choice is obvious. if your focus in the game is elsewhere, or you just want some no nonsense processing/utility, then TE3 is your better option.

tbh, i used to be on the anti-ic2 train. i also wanted every reason in the world to dislike greg and his tech, but this version, i don't. i can't. greg's bronze age is actually pretty cool. why all the ic2 hate though? is it the energy change? no big deal there. is it the added steps in certain recipes, lending to harder automation or something? i don't see how with AE.

i'd really like to see some actual reasons why people don't like ic2. it lacks content? no it doesn't, it has more content than most comparable tech mods.

I actually am fond of difficulty, I don't think IC2 is that hard (GregTech > IC2) I just feel mods implement some of it's features better. But tell me, aside from your ore processing line, once you generate all that power, what do you use it for?

To you the energy change might not be a big deal, (I didn't notice when playing at first) but it really annoys others. The crafting recipes are great, in the fact that they got rid of refinded iron, but they are slightly tedious in the early game. Metal former makes it fine though. But AE doesn't. Not every modpack has both, and even if they did, is everyone inclined to use both. You're statement may prove it doesn't stand well on it's own.

I was listing the most common reasons as I see them. I don't hate IC2, I just no longer enjoy it. Throw in GregTech and a few addons, and I'll have a ball. Seems like that's what you're doing.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
They say bad luck goes to people who comment on unfinished paintings. Same works for mods.

Ic2 exp is considered WIP, so there's not much reason to moan about it yet.

May I be cursed? Maybe constructive criticism can shape the painting into something more likable?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I actually am fond of difficulty, I don't think IC2 is that hard (GregTech > IC2) I just feel mods implement some of it's features better. But tell me, aside from your ore processing line, once you generate all that power, what do you use it for?

To you the energy change might not be a big deal, (I didn't notice when playing at first) but it really annoys others. The crafting recipes are great, in the fact that they got rid of refinded iron, but they are slightly tedious in the early game. Metal former makes it fine though. But AE doesn't. Not every modpack has both, and even if they did, is everyone inclined to use both. You're statement may prove it doesn't stand well on it's own.

I was listing the most common reasons as I see them. I don't hate IC2, I just no longer enjoy it. Throw in GregTech and a few addons, and I'll have a ball. Seems like that's what you're doing.

from where i sit, ic2 is more of a gregtech-lite. you're absolutely correct, ic2 is not that hard, but neither is gregtech, it's just slower because (insert reason). like i said in my previous post, it all comes down to playstyle. :) as for what to do with power, that is up to the player. some people get into the power trap, where they make power in order to facilitate the making of more power, but not all do. some that get into the trap enjoy it, or believe they do anyway.

the ic2 energy change really isn't a big deal if you sit down and play with it for more than 15 minutes, it's just different and takes a bit more planning for your energy grid. as far as tedious goes, see my gregtech-lite comment. there are other ways of automating besides AE, you just have to get creative. also note i said automating, not auto-crafting.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
from where i sit, ic2 is more of a gregtech-lite. you're absolutely correct, ic2 is not that hard, but neither is gregtech, it's just slower because (insert reason). like i said in my previous post, it all comes down to playstyle. :) as for what to do with power, that is up to the player. some people get into the power trap, where they make power in order to facilitate the making of more power, but not all do. some that get into the trap enjoy it, or believe they do anyway.

the ic2 energy change really isn't a big deal if you sit down and play with it for more than 15 minutes, it's just different and takes a bit more planning for your energy grid. as far as tedious goes, see my gregtech-lite comment. there are other ways of automating besides AE, you just have to get creative. also note i said automating, not auto-crafting.

You're absolutely right. IC2 has become GregTech Lite, however the people who regularly use GregTech is considerably smaller than that of Thermal Expansion. I don't think the appeal is there for everybody, and maybe they don't want a halfhearted attempted at longevity.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i'm not really sure what else to say to you man, because i really don't see why ic2 being the middle ground is such a bad thing.

it's as simple as:
if a little bit of complication doesn't appeal to you, TE3 is the way to go.
if a lot of complication doesn't appeal to you, ic2 is the way to go.
if you want more, greg.

but i digress, is that really the only reason you dislike ic2? ok, cool, we're getting somewhere. :) some people don't enjoy the greg-lite changes. what else?

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
i'm not really sure what else to say to you man, because i really don't see why ic2 being the middle ground is such a bad thing.

it's as simple as:
if a little bit of complication doesn't appeal to you, TE3 is the way to go.
if a lot of complication doesn't appeal to you, ic2 is the way to go.
if you want more, greg.

but i digress, is that really the only reason you dislike ic2? ok, cool, we're getting somewhere. :) some people don't enjoy the greg-lite changes. what else?

Personally, I enjoy the Greglike changes, but I know lots of people who don't. I think it's the concept of GregTech that's a turnoff. If you take the concept and only implement it halfway you still turn those people off. I don't use IC2 as the alternatives do mostly the same thing and do it in a more fun way. I don't consider TE3 to be an alternative, the only similarities are power, macerator and powered furnace, however those things that TE shares, it does in a much more enjoyable way. I feel the UE family of mods is what IC2 should have been like. It's reactors are more fun, it's ore sorting system is more fun, it has more content (can you go to space in IC2?). IC2 honestly has poor compatibility with other mods. It uses a power system that out side of minor addons and GregTech is only used in UE (which went out of it's way to cover everything).

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
For me, IC2 just don't appeal to me. I tried playing with it in Ultimate 1.4.7 together with GT and I just don't have any feeling of "Not bad at all.". I do use a few of it's blocks like the induction furnace for making charcoals, couple of generators and a batbox (which both the generators and batbox are replaced later with their upgraded versions like geothermal generator and mfe) for powering the furnace.
There are a lot of other quirks and features of the mod that annoys me but that is down to individual preferences.
All in all, I just do not find it interesting.
I had fun figuring out what to use BC's pipe systems for. I had fun with TE's machines for their ease of use. I was having fun with TC3. Making AE and integrating my base's processing network with it was a chore but a fun chore at that.
And now playing with my own mod compilation, I just do not find IC2's place anymore unless you find it fun.
I prefer using Thermal Expansion 3, Mekanism and the UE's Atomic Science for general uses. TiCo for tools mostly. MFR for a lot of farm related purposes (mob farms included).

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
For me, IC2 just don't appeal to me. I tried playing with it in Ultimate 1.4.7 together with GT and I just don't have any feeling of "Not bad at all.". I do use a few of it's blocks like the induction furnace for making charcoals, couple of generators and a batbox (which both the generators and batbox are replaced later with their upgraded versions like geothermal generator and mfe) for powering the furnace.
There are a lot of other quirks and features of the mod that annoys me but that is down to individual preferences.
All in all, I just do not find it interesting.
I had fun figuring out what to use BC's pipe systems for. I had fun with TE's machines for their ease of use. I was having fun with TC3. Making AE and integrating my base's processing network with it was a chore but a fun chore at that.
And now playing with my own mod compilation, I just do not find IC2's place anymore unless you find it fun.
I prefer using Thermal Expansion 3, Mekanism and the UE's Atomic Science for general uses. TiCo for tools mostly. MFR for a lot of farm related purposes (mob farms included).

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Is the problem for you that it's just not fun?

Reactions: PierceSG

Ausyarr

Jul 29, 2019
With machines that break and power cables that evaporate when the wrong thing it done, it is very unforgiving to new players.

Verillia

Jul 29, 2019
It may be a bit like stating the obvious, but Gregtech is actually a good bit different than what it was last time it featured in a FTB pack...

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
With machines that break and power cables that evaporate when the wrong thing it done, it is very unforgiving to new players.

unforgiving, yes.

that's why you learn the mechanics on ssp in creative before attempting to build your massive nuclear power plant on smp :)

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
unforgiving, yes.

that's why you learn the mechanics on ssp in creative before attempting to build your massive nuclear power plant on smp :)
Even when you know about them, some mechanics are just annoying. I'd known about the need for an electric wrench on lossless mode (Why?) to remove machines, but I forgot the other day and lost a metal former when I was rearranging my friend's and my base. It's not difficulty, it's pointless extra steps.

I understand what Gregtech is trying to do. Honestly, it really does work some of the time. The endgame multiblock machines can be fun to automate, and the fact that he gives you slightly more is a nice incentive. But he lost me around the time of the infamous Plank Nerf and 2-tools-and-plates-to-make-a-friggin'-pick stage. That made me drop GT (and IC2 as a result) and fully move over to Thermal Expansion.

And you know what? I loved it. I didn't miss the "complexity", I was mostly glad to be rid of pointless headaches. Oops, you forgot that machine couldn't handle that voltage? BOOM, hope your base wasn't too compact. You want to craft a machine? Enjoy 5 extra steps. It costs about the same in terms of resource gathering you say? But it's more complex, and therefore more difficult, even if you're just spending an extra minute in crafting every single time you want to make something. You want to automate something? Cool, have fun piping things into and out of these exact sides only (although to be fair this has been fixed, but that was one thing that drew me to TE).

I don't mind complexity. I don't mind difficult power systems. (I've actually really been enjoying RotaryCraft) IC2 just got really stale to me. When I realized the only things I used it for were a jetpack (which really needs GraviSuite to be worth it IMO) and the Induction Furnace, I stopped using it. The hassle wasn't fun, and sticking to IC2 made me miss out on the cool stuff other mods were doing.

When I want difficulty, I'll play Dark Souls. When I want complexity, I'll play Dwarf Fortress. I enjoy what they have to offer, even with their flaws. Saying "IC2 is difficult and complicated!" isn't always the answer to people's objections.

Reactions: Ryan784 and kittle

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i get the feeling that you haven't messed with it (ic2) recently. there have been some huge changes.

also gregtech is a separate mod, you can play the game without it and only ic2 :)

and also, as said before, it's a flavor type thing. you can accomplish the same tasks with many mods, it's just up to you to decide whether you want to use a particular mod/block, or whether you just want the most efficient (flavor of the month). this goes for all mods, not just ic2.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Considering I mentioned the metal former in that post, you should realize it was pretty recent. I'm aware of the changes, and I think they're actually for the worse.

I could play IC2 without GT, but GT was the reason I used IC2 and without it I happily left IC2 behind. I also mentioned GT because while I know the IC2 changes are *not* lead by Greg (he's only on bugfixes), I think a lot of the same philosophy is behind them: added crafting steps and added complexity equaling fun.

It is a indeed a flavor thing. I was trying to explain why I think their flavor isn't that tasty. It's not an issue of "flavor of the month" or even necessarily efficiency (remember, I'm all over RotaryCraft and that is nothing if not needlessly complicated most times). I saw IC2 as stagnant before the changes. It got me to try other mods. After the changes, I see it turning into something I actually like less. I wanted to explain what I specifically dislike about that philosophy because I hope other mods don't go this route.

Also, it frankly just annoys me how often IC2 and GT fans try to imply someone's dislike of those mods is simply liking to do things easier because they aren't up to the challenge.

Reactions: Padfoote

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
wow, i...never once implied that you guys weren't up for the challenge. scroll back through my prior posts in this thread, i'm no greg fan, so check yourself there.

TE is just the fotm currently, that's all. it's efficient, and it's easy. is the "difficulty" part of the appeal? probably, and you can't deny it.

Status
Not open for further replies.