Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
The RotaryCraft Grinder got an upgrade recently and you can now use it as an "early" game alternative to double ores :)

Sorry dude, but we are totally going to have to disagree on the term 'early game'. Tinker's construct smelter is early game... Better furnaces is early game (to late game for the fastest) IC2 macerator USED to be early game. The pulveriser is somewhat early game. Early game is what you assemble while you are still building your house, setting stuff up, digging your way down to level 6, setting up farms, and subsisting on apples and pork and sleeping every night the second the sun goes down in your bed so zombies won't break down your wooden door and eat you.

To set up a similar grinder system, you need lava, gunpowder, and redstone (to make the steel), most likely need netherrack (to run steam engines) a minimum of almost a full stack of iron, a working farm to grow the canola and wheat/other food source while you are hunting down the rarer components, clay, glass, and of course a working set of furnaces to melt down the powder and charcoal, likely a tree farm of some sort, good iron or steel tools, and reasonably good armor for hunting creepers. unlike a tinker's smelter which requires, at most, a wooden pickaxe.

The changes to the recipes and power profile definitely helped move the grinder to the early mid-game, where I feel it belongs, especially as a setup for more advanced ore systems in the late midgame and other machines that require canola oil, but early game? not really... it is a very long slog to get the one to two stacks of Iron you are going to need. Not to discount the grinder, it is a vital (especially if you don't have TE or IC2 installed) tool for MANY purposes, but I would strongly disagree that it is part of the very short 'early game'.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
All the major mods outright replaced IC2 in every single way by offering everything it did and more easier. People don't want to bother with its energy system because its the only mod that uses it and its a pain to use. They don't care about it special crops giving you more then standard, if you need crops you can grow vast plantations with other mods with ease. It's ore doubling takes more work to begin then many other mods with its more overhead and other mods produce more then double now. It's reactor system is amateur compared to modern multiblock structured energy generators in other mods. Its armor is outdated and frankly worthless compared to something like a Modular Power Suit, its weapons are equally useless compared to TiCon or Rotarycrafts. There is nothing this mod offers anymore, not a single thing unique, in the mod world if all your features are standard they better give the best returns or be the easiest to use, IC2 doesn't do either. This mod has one saving grace if you keep it enabled, One, and that's Big Reactor's can use its Uranium. That's it.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Universal Electricity's Atomic Science introduces Uranium ore, which Big Reactors can use too. Plus, I prefer AS reactors over IC2. My preference anyway.
And if I'm not mistaken, reika also has ReactorCraft that also introduces Uranium ore?
Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's safe to say that IC brought more people to the modding community (via the packs at the time), bringing fresh ideas and skills - always good.
Unfortunately for IC2, with it's main developer going "AWOL", it could only be maintained at it's original content in an evolving environment. After all this time, it's fallen far behind and the recent development to get it back into the race isn't really matching what younger fresher mods are achieving.

So far IC is changing the crafting recipes, to make it feel a bit more "industrial"/"realistic". No harm in that, but there's nothing really new to show people. So, it appears to be the same old mod with extra effort required to do the same stuff as before.

Everything has a lifespan, I feel IC2 has reached the end of its lifespan without some drastic action (more then what's currently being done), but we should remember, without IC and the early mods, modded minecraft would be very different to what it is today. For that we should be thankful.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
All the major mods outright replaced IC2 in every single way by offering everything it did and more easier. People don't want to bother with its energy system because its the only mod that uses it and its a pain to use. Its armor is outdated and frankly worthless compared to something like a Modular Power Suit, its weapons are equally useless compared to TiCon or Rotarycrafts.
I will make a couple arguments here, bearing in mind that in its current iteration, I don't want to use IC2 myself:

Before all of these changes started happening, IC2 armour and energy gen were my favourite of the lot; for early game, nano had the right balance of challenge and reward. EU systems were, unlike MJ systems, simple to maintain and use. Even for TE machines, which were superior in a lot of ways, I powered them with electric engines that I could turn on and off with a switch, that never overheated, that didn't need refuelling.

As for weapons, I still quite like the nanosaber for certain situations; it's fast and deadly. But moreover, I don't think that anything has ever yet properly replaced the ultimate weapon/tool, the mining laser, and I will still fight my way through modern IC2 to get one.

As for quantum armour, it has near-invulnerability, almost infinite underwater breathing, extremely fast sprint, infinite safe fall distance (effectively, anyway) and if you switch between a graviplate and an advanced nano plate, what I'd call a perfect range of flight options. Plus, easy to recharge. People love MPS and that's fine, but calling quantum outdated and worthless is going a bit far; it's fantastic armour.

I don't think that IC2's equipment selection is without merit; I just don't like what I'll call the Greg-like changes to the mod and the arbitrarily punitive new energy net.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
its not that I don't like IC2, its just that I have used it in every single world I have played in. So I removed it from my custom packs so I try new ways.

I haven't played around with the experimental version yet, but I doubt I will. I am also not using BuildCraft, RailCraft and Steves Carts any more for the same reason. My custom pack comprises mainly of mods I have always wanted to try

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
its not that I don't like IC2, its just that I have used it in every single world I have played in. So I removed it from my custom packs so I try new ways.

I haven't played around with the experimental version yet, but I doubt I will. I am also not using BuildCraft, RailCraft and Steves Carts any more for the same reason. My custom pack comprises mainly of mods I have always wanted to try
That's what I'm really liking about Horizons; just starting it up gave me an entirely new way to play. It was like a completely different game. It was a completely different game.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
um. yeah. you can craft components with either IC2 parts or TE parts in DW20 1.6 modpack.

Same for Monster pack, just for both, copper wiring recipe is broken. You can actually fix that by updating MPS since it was a bug on their end with the recipe.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I think ic2 without gravisuite is better than using MPS. I'm either going to config MPS to nerf it hard or just toss it.

Jet packs require losing armor, you gain something but lose something. With MPS and gravisuite you remove all of the danger from the mod. Why do people automatically say that something more powerful is better? You could put the game on peaceful mode once you get one, your play experience will be about the same. I do see that you can lower the armor values though which is nice.

MPS has another feature that kills me : lux capacitor lights. The game relies on darkness to create danger right? You find a spawner and to disable it you have to light it up. Even if you were in any danger from the mobs, you could just fling a lux light in the spawner and then clean up the few mobs. Long distance light placement is powerful.

What I like about ic2 is that they do not seem to be falling into this Power Creep trap. The crafting might turn out to be annoying but at least they have "balance" in mind when they make it.

Reactions: immibis

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I think ic2 without gravisuite is better than using MPS. I'm either going to config MPS to nerf it hard or just toss it.

Jet packs require losing armor, you gain something but lose something. With MPS and gravisuite you remove all of the danger from the mod. Why do people automatically say that something more powerful is better? You could put the game on peaceful mode once you get one, your play experience will be about the same. I do see that you can lower the armor values though which is nice.

MPS has another feature that kills me : lux capacitor lights. The game relies on darkness to create danger right? You find a spawner and to disable it you have to light it up. Even if you were in any danger from the mobs, you could just fling a lux light in the spawner and then clean up the few mobs. Long distance light placement is powerful.

What I like about ic2 is that they do not seem to be falling into this Power Creep trap. The crafting might turn out to be annoying but at least they have "balance" in mind when they make it.
i wonder what is your opinion about using config files to achieve teh balance?

Reactions: Padfoote

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019

I dunno about all that. Even in leather I don't have any problem with spawners; I've cleared several Roguelike Dungeons in my no-mining Horizons game; that means I was usually wearing leather or worse and had to knock the spawners out with a sword because I'm not using picks.

Fact is, most people don't give a flip about "danger" - mobs and combat have always been, at best, a marginal feature of Minecraft.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Frankly, I haven't installed Armor on an MPS suit since 1.4.7. Speed is life and being able to avoid the enemies is more useful than trying tank their attacks. Armor slows me down so I don't use it.

Reactions: Museli and Padfoote

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly, I haven't installed Armor on an MPS suit since 1.4.7. Speed is life and being able to avoid the enemies is more useful than trying tank their attacks. Armor slows me down so I don't use it.
i assume you are talking about amor plating for MPS. well here is some info:
1 armor plating doesn't slow you down on its own. it's total weight of armor's modes
2 energy shielding adds no weight
3 if you are to heavy movement and jump assists can help you with that.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
But moreover, I don't think that anything has ever yet properly replaced the ultimate weapon/tool, the mining laser, and I will still fight my way through modern IC2 to get one.
AE has the matter cannon. I think it can break blocks but I don't remember testing it.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
AE has the matter cannon. I think it can break blocks but I don't remember testing it.
It can, but it's not really meant for that; you don't exactly get accuracy.

There are plenty of mods with remote block breaking. What I continue to love about the mining laser is its range, accuracy and versatility.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It can, but it's not really meant for that; you don't exactly get accuracy.

There are plenty of mods with remote block breaking. What I continue to love about the mining laser is its range, accuracy and versatility.
I've always hated how derpy the mining laser looks. I know minecraft isn't the most beautiful game but that laser is horrible. Though utility wise I see the appeal. I'm not a fan of its function but that's a play style thing :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
However, Energy Shields require energy, which means batteries. And that means a weight cost. True, you can get around it by carrying a TE energy cell, but that feels... wrong somehow.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
However, Energy Shields require energy, which means batteries. And that means a weight cost. True, you can get around it by carrying a TE energy cell, but that feels... wrong somehow.
energy drain by shielding is very low(som might say too low) it's not a nano armor... even if you install all 4 elite batteries(why need 5th? in fact 1 is enough) it's still gonna be lighter than full advanced plating.

Status
Not open for further replies.