Why don't more mods have sounds?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
The way sound is handled in Minecraft isn't great and the sound library they used isn't great either. There's no way to automatically level the volume between mods without writing a wrapper around the entire sound engine to do so and sampling every mod-added sound at launch.

In short, it is technically difficult to implement a lot of mod sounds without it being horribly inconsistent/bad.

Thanks for answering my original question :)

Reactions: MagusUnion and Siro

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Sound (done right) can really bring a lot out of a mod/game and make it more immersive.
Its just hard to get sound right- theres a fine line between adding atmosphere and being annoying.
(annoying mostly being sound thats impossible to get away from in-game (rain/bats). Noisy machines/mobs aren't much of a bother as theres an in-game fix.)

Give MAtmos a try (adds sound fx and depth based on biome/locating ect)

Reactions: zorn

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
In other game related news, Bethesda bought the trademark for Fallout 4.
Team of: lots.
Expect awesome game?

Nop, I only expect awesome from obsidian's version, fallout 4: we actually have writers version :).
To those confused, obsidian made fallout new vegas which was a lot better than fallout 3(though I do have to give credit to bethesda for reviving the game and making the graphic engine).

And speaking of sounds in games in general, I don't remember an amazing game on that side.
I think most sound mixing is done on the cpu these days and most games prefer to reserve that to more visible stuff(graphics! AI(though that could be argued also)! PARTICLE EFFECTS EVERYWHERE!)

Reactions: PierceSG

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
To those confused, obsidian made fallout new vegas which was a lot better than fallout 3(though I do have to give credit to bethesda for reviving the game and making the graphic engine).
Like you said, Bethesda made the graphics engine and revived the game... They also had to do EVERYTHING on the game, from the ground up... Obsidian just had to change the game, new story.. and as they didn't have to do half the work that Bethesda did, thats why it was better (though, for the record, I enjoyed Fallout3 far more)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Like you said, Bethesda made the graphics engine and revived the game... They also had to do EVERYTHING on the game, from the ground up... Obsidian just had to change the game, new story.. and as they didn't have to do half the work that Bethesda did, thats why it was better (though, for the record, I enjoyed Fallout3 far more)

Yeah speaking of getting off topic, Birch you said that I should upgrade to get more sounds, and I asked what mods added sound beyond mekanism. I upgraded to ftb 1.5 last friday. I dont hear any sounds from the new mods in DW20 pack. You never replied to my question asking what other mods besides mekanism had sounds (mekanism not being in ftb packs...)

I've noticed a trend here, people like to argue but when actually asked to provide evidence... they just veer away from the topic or fail to answer at all. It's almost as if you just wanted a reason to argue with me, and it had nothing to do with my topic at all. Hmm. So how would upgrading get me more mod sounds again?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
MFR also has sounds, you don't have that in 1.4.7 do you?

It is in 1.4.7, and also in 1.5 that im playing now, just set up a laser drill in creative to test out the setup, no sounds that I can hear. Although I have sounds down lower now to be able to hear people on ventrillo.

Is that it? even if MFR does, that is one more mod than in 1.4.7., I think my original statement is valid. It's just very interesting that so many people seemed to make me the bad guy for not upgrading, as if I was wrong for even posting this thread at all.

now Im on 1.5.2, got a smeltery going, etc. no sounds of liquid metal pouring, no furnace sound when nearing the smeltery or whatever. A few others did say that sounds are a pain for modders, which is a completely valid response. telling me to upgrade isn't really valid unless new mod versions are generally coming out with sounds.

Im going to go load a single player world and set up some MFR stuff though, curious to hear these sounds as I obviously think they enhance game play.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Harvesters I believe have sounds. In mekanism, windmills and machines have sounds, you might have to enable them in the configs though.