Why don't more mods have sounds?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
It is one of the things I love about IC2, and after not having them for months, I just re-enabled them on my server. Im not expecting gregtech stuff to have sounds, and most mods don't. I'd almost update from 1.4.7 JUST to get railcraft steam engine sounds.

Is there a reason more sounds aren't used? FTB Ultimate has sounds in IC2 disabled by default... anyone know why? Is it too resource intensive or something?

Anyone know if there are ways to add sounds to the game? A nice deep machine hum for a gregtech fusion reactor would be awesome.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The sounds are god awful annoying! Damn I hated the IC2 sounds. So loud and ear piercing. Think that's why they are(again?) disabled as default.

Reactions: Sarda and RedBoss

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds are hard to create.
Hard to get copyright free.
Hard to code into the game.
They are usually annoying.
Usually pointless.
Alot of people don't play with sounds (I dont for one).

So many reasons, i cant ever think of reasons to use them most of the time...

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
I for one can't STAND the IC2 sounds and wish they would be removed, So loud and annoying.

Doesn't Java take a major hit right to the lag center from sounds being played in-game, never was sure if it was client side or server side lag *shrug*

Reactions: Sarda

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind if mods add sounds, but I'd like to have the option to disable certain sounds if they're annoying. I love using the mod MATmos, which adds sounds for every environment. but imagine if every mod would add a sound for every machine. you'd be spamming sound mufflers around your base every 2-3 blocks

Reactions: PierceSG and zorn

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
One thing to look forward to... With the latest changes to handling "Resource packs" in the vanilla MC launcher (You can now separate asset categories into single files... I.E. you can just build a Sound file or a texture file for example, without having to edit it into an existing mod library) I'm sure we'll be seeing "Audio texture packs" for different mods like we now have multiple Visual texture packs for graphics.

The only question is if existing 3rd party launchers such as FtB can implement that versatility into their products.

Reactions: zorn

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
One thing to look forward to... With the latest changes to handling "Resource packs" in the vanilla MC launcher (You can now separate asset categories into single files... I.E. you can just build a Sound file or a texture file for example, without having to edit it into an existing mod library) I'm sure we'll be seeing "Audio texture packs" for different mods like we now have multiple Visual texture packs for graphics.

The only question is if existing 3rd party launchers such as FtB can implement that versatility into their products.

Not only that, but in 1.7 you are also able to switch the volume of many sound categories. I'm sure mod developers will be able to add their own.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I don't like about sounds, though, is that they tend to cause lag. On low-end machines like mine, that can be a real killer. :/

ever seen sevadus his infinite storage trick using minecarts? those things are awful to get close to o_O

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Sounds are hard to create.
Hard to get copyright free.
Hard to code into the game.
They are usually annoying.
Usually pointless.
Alot of people don't play with sounds (I dont for one).

So many reasons, i cant ever think of reasons to use them most of the time...
I'd agree with the top 3 things right here. I personally like the noises of vanilla and other mods, it seems so satisfying to hear when you place a block or walk over a surface, etc.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'd agree with the top 3 things right here. I personally like the noises of vanilla and other mods, it seems so satisfying to hear when you place a block or walk over a surface, etc.
Yes the rare or reactive sound effect is fine. Placing stuff, shooting stuff, using items. But the continual high machine noises get old very soon :p Like the macerator running 24/7 in the middle of your base... Arghhh...

Reactions: xbony2

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I don't like about sounds, though, is that they tend to cause lag. On low-end machines like mine, that can be a real killer. :/
And mine, even though I still enable sounds :p

Though Matmos can lower my framerate by half or more.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower has been replaced more or less in every way.
With less bugs.
It kills me to say it.

Been having a blast with ItemDucts, RP2 tubes but better.
There is 0 reason to stay on old versions =3

TE3 is not in FTB so I wont have item ducts. What mod replaced all the redstone logic? Or frames? Ive seen redstone in motion but moving the frames is free, not really up my alley. The mod author is cool though.

Microblocks in FTB? I didnt see them. Every time I hear people talk about adding mods to FTB, they say it reminds them why people use FTB: it's fast and easy. I have a family, don't have time to spend fixing mod IDs or whatever it is.

So basically, for me to just upgrade to Unleashed or Unhinged, I do not see replacements for the redpower stuff. So i stuck with ultimate for the moment.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
TE3 is not in FTB so I wont have item ducts. What mod replaced all the redstone logic? Or frames? Ive seen redstone in motion but moving the frames is free, not really up my alley. The mod author is cool though.

Microblocks in FTB? I didnt see them. Every time I hear people talk about adding mods to FTB, they say it reminds them why people use FTB: it's fast and easy. I have a family, don't have time to spend fixing mod IDs or whatever it is.

So basically, for me to just upgrade to Unleashed or Unhinged, I do not see replacements for the redpower stuff. So i stuck with ultimate for the moment.

You dont have to use FTB, you can setup your own instance or use a modpack (I would suggest Resonant rise)
Redstone logic: Reglogic, MFR
Frames: MFFS3, truss's frame mod. (Jakj is NOT COOL)

As i said, other mod packs work.
Resonant rise is the one i would suggest, its maintained well with alot of mods you would want.
The thing is, if you stop being so "awkward" you can go and have fun and not have all the problems you talk about constantly!

Reactions: MigukNamja

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Redpower has been replaced more or less in every way.
With less bugs.
It kills me to say it.

Been having a blast with ItemDucts, RP2 tubes but better.
There is 0 reason to stay on old versions =3
0 reason? Well, I think my reason is pretty darn good...
aYzWMkn.png

(pretend the cobblestone is LESU blocks, I'm working on that)

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
0 reason? Well, I think my reason is pretty darn good...

(pretend the cobblestone is LESU blocks, I'm working on that)
I stand by my quote.
Modded minecraft worlds are not meant to be stable/forever.
Recent mods make the game so much more fun your just cutting yourself off from the fun.

Also, i think your reason isnt =3