Why don't more mods have sounds?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
The harvester tree breaking sound like when you chop down tree leaves? I considered that not due to the mod, oh well.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The harvester tree breaking sound like when you chop down tree leaves? I considered that not due to the mod, oh well.
No I mean the "ch-ch-ch-ch" sound, I don't think it's present in 1.5. But the tree sounds are fine, except they lag me like hell whenever I'm near my tree farm, which is almost 24/7... I should really move it...

Reactions: RedBoss

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, why do you want more mods with sound? I'm still trying to understand that.

Sorry I guess I thought it was obvious. Don't the sounds of vanilla minecraft add to the experience? You walk on snow, it sounds like snow. Cows walking around, the clink of skeletons as they are near?

A perfect example, one build I saw of a fusion reactor had the guy find a 'machine hum' sound wav file and he replaced the Howler Alarm sound with it. Then he added a permanently turned on Howler hidden near his fusion reactor and had a deep background machine sound, to give it more of an effect when people were near.

We normally experience the world with 5 senses, in a video game we can only use 2. So I guess i assumed people would enjoy sound in the game. Or does everyone turn off the sound and listen to music?

Honestly I think on this forum if I said 'hey I like girls and beer!' there would be a bunch of replies of guys saying they weren't sure on that, and find a way to prove me wrong. lol. Not you personally, just the others that seem to argue anything I say.

As Ashzification would say, Im 'awkward' for wanting sound in a game! Haha, go out and tell some video game player you know that someone was told they shouldn't want SOUND IN A VIDEO GAME! lol it's actually pretty funny.[DOUBLEPOST=1385426252][/DOUBLEPOST]
No I mean the "ch-ch-ch-ch" sound, I don't think it's present in 1.5. But the tree sounds are fine, except they lag me like hell whenever I'm near my tree farm, which is almost 24/7... I should really move it...

Not in 1.5, guess ill have to wait for 1.6 FTB packs to come out.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Oh don't get me wrong, I love sounds in mods, especially the magic ones, the zips and splooshes of wands and stuff are very fun, and of course you have mob sounds from adventure mods, and machine sounds from tech mods, they just happen to lag many users and are a pain to code.

I'm unsure what you mean

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, there's always that. It sorts of adds to the experience, but not in the way you're talking about.
I play a lot of CS:GO, you know? So, I generally use sounds as a way to find myself in an ambient. I don't need to see the enemy, I just need to see the entrance.
That also applies for Minecraft, honestly. I do not like the sounds most stuff makes (cows, chickens, pigs, the creepy cave noises, bats, villagers, IC2 machines...), but I do use walking sounds to orientate myself when fighting through caves. Or hunting down mobs. Or something.
But I do like when it adds to the experience in a good way. Steam engines are perfect. The Nether Portal is bad.
And the fact that they are a pain to code does reduce most of the things that are good about them - the fact that you can use to, say, win fights that you normally wouldn't.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not opposed to sounds if they're done right. I actually like the rain sound (I know I must be the only person in existence who finds it comforting.), but cows, nether portals, and villagers are all quite painful and annoying. For the most part I keep sound on, but at a lower volume than the music I'm playing.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I guess I thought it was obvious. Don't the sounds of vanilla minecraft add to the experience? You walk on snow, it sounds like snow. Cows walking around, the clink of skeletons as they are near?

I am one of the rare ones but I don't find any of the sounds to add anything to the game, they are annoying more than anything.
I am like that for all games though, music is the first thing reigned off and then after I find out how necessary regular sounds are to actually be able to play the game, they either get turned down as low as possible or off compete.

I also always have other types of media playing whenever I play games and the game sounds just interfere with that so they must go.

That's just me though.

Reactions: zorn

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm unsure what you mean

Im playing 1.5, will play 1.6 or whatever when FTB updates. So I wont be playing 1.6 and hear the MFR harvester sounds, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1385432890][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, there's always that. It sorts of adds to the experience, but not in the way you're talking about.
I play a lot of CS:GO, you know? So, I generally use sounds as a way to find myself in an ambient. I don't need to see the enemy, I just need to see the entrance.
That also applies for Minecraft, honestly. I do not like the sounds most stuff makes (cows, chickens, pigs, the creepy cave noises, bats, villagers, IC2 machines...), but I do use walking sounds to orientate myself when fighting through caves. Or hunting down mobs. Or something.
But I do like when it adds to the experience in a good way. Steam engines are perfect. The Nether Portal is bad.
And the fact that they are a pain to code does reduce most of the things that are good about them - the fact that you can use to, say, win fights that you normally wouldn't.

Yes i agree many sounds could be done better. The railcraft rock crusher is great in theory... after 100 times it drives you nuts. I do like ic2 sounds, but i can see why others would not. My main reason for posting was just to say that sounds are great. Ideally machine sounds should only be in the background, not ever something that jumps out at you.[DOUBLEPOST=1385432971][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not opposed to sounds if they're done right. I actually like the rain sound (I know I must be the only person in existence who finds it comforting.), but cows, nether portals, and villagers are all quite painful and annoying. For the most part I keep sound on, but at a lower volume than the music I'm playing.

I also like the rain, but if the rain goes on long enough it can get annoying. Nether portals are definitely annoying.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I also like the rain, but if the rain goes on long enough it can get annoying. Nether portals are definitely annoying.
Those two are definitely examples of what are good and bad sounds. The nether portal sound, for example, is the most annoying thing that vanilla Minecraft could possibly create because it practically MAKES YOU move your portal away from your base. The muffled rain sound I actually like as its a nice backround, but the flat-out rain sound is horrifically bad.

I don't know much about Minecraft's sound engine, but I imagine it sucks. I've seen things like Planetside 2 where you (with headphones, granted) can hear vibrations from explosions that are literally miles away. Then I go play Minecraft and it's just sad how low-quality is is in comparison (yes PS2 has tons of people working on it, no that does not excuse how bad the sounds in MC are). And it seems that we cannot add sounds to the game in a large extent without lagging everyone to hell (matmos). Even worse, many sounds are associated with animations, namely the stupid MFR harvester.

So basically, it's a combination of A) good sounds are hard to make and B) sounds lag a lot.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019

A perfect example, one build I saw of a fusion reactor had the guy find a 'machine hum' sound wav file and he replaced the Howler Alarm sound with it. Then he added a permanently turned on Howler hidden near his fusion reactor and had a deep background machine sound, to give it more of an effect when people were near.

We normally experience the world with 5 senses, in a video game we can only use 2. So I guess i assumed people would enjoy sound in the game. Or does everyone turn off the sound and listen to music?

Honestly I think on this forum if I said 'hey I like girls and beer!' there would be a bunch of replies of guys saying they weren't sure on that, and find a way to prove me wrong. lol. Not you personally, just the others that seem to argue anything I say.

As Ashzification would say, Im 'awkward' for wanting sound in a game! Haha, go out and tell some video game player you know that someone was told they shouldn't want SOUND IN A VIDEO GAME! lol it's actually pretty funny.[DOUBLEPOST=1385426252][/DOUBLEPOST]

honestly, music is at 0% and sound is at 7% (so I can hear the zombie creeping up on me) other than that... bleugh.. no thank you.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
honestly, music is at 0% and sound is at 7% (so I can hear the zombie creeping up on me) other than that... bleugh.. no thank you.
Well, it depends on what you are playing, for instance, for a hardcore world I will set sound to about 40%, and a hardcore UHS2 world I will set sound to like 80%, while for a normal world I will set sound to about 10%.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019

how the hell you navigate through cave with sounds in minecraft , lol ?!
i play CSS and i use sound to hear them walking nearby , but i use radar more to navigate than sound (cuz flashes are awesum ._.).

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I play it in comp (although it's really low level comp). So, one can use sound to know where did that shot came from.