Why don't more mods have sounds?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I really just don't understand your perspective. I offered a civil and general suggestion to what I perceived as a knowledge gap in current mods. I apologize if you feel I have wronged you in some way. I can honestly say that your presumptions about my intentions are erroneous and off base completely. I will refrain from communication with you going forward since it never leads to any resolution, compromise, or pleasantness.

I do hope you find a solution to your gaming needs.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I really just don't understand your perspective. I offered a civil and general suggestion to what I perceived as a knowledge gap in current mods. I apologize if you feel I have wronged you in some way. I can honestly say that your presumptions about my intentions are erroneous and off base completely. I will refrain from communication with you going forward since it never leads to any resolution, compromise, or pleasantness.

You've saw the light too? Welcome to the club. :)

Reactions: RedBoss

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
MPS has some cool sounds. Is MPS in Ultimate ?

Also, no harm in trying 1.6, whether RR or some other mod pack. With as much time as you spend on these forums, in-game, and as intelligent as you seem to be, trying out 1.6 with a mod-pack that is similar to 1.4.7 Ultimate should not be difficult. Not sure what the harm is in trying other than time spent. Doing my own (private) 1.6 mod-pack has taught me a lot about MC, Forge, and the modded community in general.

As for why us 1.6'ers are (still) hanging out in FTB, it's because of the community. Slowpoke and company have create a mature and respectful place where mod devs and players can meet, mingle, and discuss our favorite game.

MPS is in ultimate, no sounds unless they are disabled like IC2 is. My only thing about 1.6 was that i feel it is unfair to say I need to update, when Im only 1 version behind with respect to ftb packs. Im looking into changing the configs on ftb packs, but to make my own... I just dont have much time. Maybe modded minecraft requires more time than I have, to get what I want out of it.

I thought that is why technic and ftb were created, weren't they? The id conflicts and things like what mod's ore generation to use were all decided by the ftb team, so I can just click and play. Oh well. I just wondered why more mods didnt have sounds, didnt want to get into a big discussion over whether or not my questions are valid, being on 1.4.7.

ive looked into 1.5.2 ftb and the atl launcher though since posting earlier, might move to resonant rise i guess. No matter what its a pain. Didnt the resonant rise guys get angry with greg? Id like gregtech, unhinged might be the best bet for me.

I just dont understand why I warrant 6 people telling me I need ot upgrade, over a simple question. 1.4.7 is still available on the launcher! I found it just beofre the update.

THANK YOU.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the later versions of Unleashed do come with GT configs, for players who want Unleashed + GT.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I thought that is why technic and ftb were created, weren't they?

Don't know about technic but FTB was created for the original challenge map and had grown from that.

It wasn't created as a technic killer as some people think.

I'm not sure but I believe technic was just a mod pack someone put together for them and their friends, who then shared it with others and people loved the collection of mods put together and it exploded.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
The "doodly-doo" sound that the mass fabricator makes sounds like Ultraman's warning light. I don't mind it, but it drives my wife nuts.

That's what this thread is about, right?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
ive looked into 1.5.2 ftb and the atl launcher though since posting earlier, might move to resonant rise i guess. No matter what its a pain. Didnt the resonant rise guys get angry with greg? Id like gregtech, unhinged might be the best bet for me.
Without wanting to cause an argument... no, the RR team didn't get angry at Greg. They feel that they cannot trust him to pull another stunt as he did before, and as such don't support him in any way (http://resonant-rise.com/forums/index.php?threads/our-mod-and-modder-support-policy.241/). What you can do, if you really want to (but forewarned, Greg in 1.6 is a different beast than Greg 1.4.7) is add GT yourself, after sorting out some ID issues (and I think there's also an issue with TiCo, you may have to choose, although I have seen some people have gotten around this) and you're ready to go.

Reactions: PierceSG

Luckyspin

Jul 29, 2019
Warning: Opinion Incoming

I think sounds (not music) in Minecraft just plain suck. Opening a chest has got to be the most annoying sound I know, which makes cleaning up my inventory a very painful experience if I have the sound on. Spiders come in a close second.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Warning: Opinion Incoming

I think sounds (not music) in Minecraft just plain suck. Opening a chest has got to be the most annoying sound I know, which makes cleaning up my inventory a very painful experience if I have the sound on. Spiders come in a close second.
uhh.. what about the eating noise... who the F burps after each bite?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft would be okay if they rewrote the video and audio engine. I get the same FPS in Battlefield 4 and its absurd that sounds can drop performance so much that developers leave them off by default.

Thaumcraft 4 did it right, the config for making golems not activate the chest sound or animation was great.

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft would be okay if they rewrote the video and audio engine. I get the same FPS in Battlefield 4

I don't know much about it, but didn't Battlefield 4 have a huge team of developers? O_0

Anyways, the audio manager was rewritten in 1.7. I'm not sure if it made much of a difference, though. Minecraft seriously needs a visual rewrite, however, that's for sure.

I agree with your config option for sounds, though. Mods that have sounds should have the option to turn it off for those that don't want it, in my opinion.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know much about it, but didn't Battlefield 4 have a huge team of developers? O_0

Anyways, the audio manager was rewritten in 1.7. I'm not sure if it made much of a difference, though. Minecraft seriously needs a visual rewrite, however, that's for sure.

I agree with your config option for sounds, though. Mods that have sounds should have the option to turn it off for those that don't want it, in my opinion.
Well, considering that some streamers had their FPS jump by over 100 from 1.6.4 to 1.7.2, I think the rewrite of the audio engine is going to make a difference for many players.

Last edited:

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Battlefield 4 also has very high quality graphics and is known for being very demanding.
while BF4 is one of the prettiest games ever made.. it still doesn't have to load as many assets as MC, with BF4, it renders what you see.. with MC, it renders everything within your draw distance that is exposed to air, all the way to bedrock.
BF4: Developed by DICE, a team of 323 people.
Minecraft: Developed by Mojang, a team of 36

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
All i asked was why more mods didnt have sounds

The way sound is handled in Minecraft isn't great and the sound library they used isn't great either. There's no way to automatically level the volume between mods without writing a wrapper around the entire sound engine to do so and sampling every mod-added sound at launch.

In short, it is technically difficult to implement a lot of mod sounds without it being horribly inconsistent/bad.

Reactions: zorn